Brewer Fanatic

Why can't we make a play for Santana?

smbrewersfan15
Just saw a report on ESPN with Buster Olney talking about the Johan Santana trade talks and how Minnesota will probably end up getting a lesser deal than what they could have gotten a month ago. This question has been going through my head for a while. Why couldn't the Brewers offer a package of players to the Twins and get Santana for themselves? I mean Johan just wants to get paid I'm guessing. Not sure that the place is really an issue for him. I mean I understand financially the Crew probably can't afford him but I mean we're paying guys like Mota and Counsell over 3M each, why can't we bite the bullet and go after an impact player? Just once I would love to see our team go after someone that would garner national headlines. Does everyone think an offer for him would cripple out team or is it really just a money issue? Lots of questions, just thought I'd throw this discussion out cause I'm curious what others in the Brewerfan nation think. Thanks for reading this rant.

I don't think we have prospects that match up with what the Twins look for in a ball player. They highly value defense and all of our biggest hitting prospects are defensively challenged. They are a family value type of team so I doubt they go for Jeffress. I don't think a deal focused on Parra would be enough and we don't have very high end bargaining chips other than him that would fit into the Twins plans.

He wants a big extention (6yrs/$150mil). Ben Sheets' contract was for 2 less years and HALF the salary. And if Johan were to be afflicted by vestibular neuritis or had a blister or two... Unless they move the Brewz to Chicago-land, no way.

Like Logan said, Santana has said that he will veto any trade to a team that can't sign him longterm. He's pretty much said that he's vetoing a trade to a team that's not named the Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets. Even if that wasn't in the way, I wouldn't like selling the farm for a few months of Santana...it'd be cool to see him in a Brewers uniform, for sure, but with how much you'd have to give up to get him, it would be nearly impossible for him to be worth it.

That ESPNEWS clip is still classic, though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

it goes against Melvin's philosophy of only signing a pitcher to a four-year contract. and i kinda think that by 09, the prospects that we'd keep instead of making the trade are going to amount to more wins than what Santana would give us. and like what was mentioned before, for the next six years we end up in a situation like we have with Sheets, that if Santana would go down for an extended period of time, the team would hugely suffer.

no doubt Gallardo would be a piece of that trade, plus Sheets wouldn't be resigned, so we'd end up with a rotation similar to Houston's for a lot of years.

He wants a big extention (6yrs/$150mil). Ben Sheets' contract was for 2 less years and HALF the salary. And if Johan were to be afflicted by vestibular neuritis or had a blister or two...

Sheets deal was for a whole lot less than half. In fact, the different between half of 150(75) and what Sheets got(about 40) is almost the same as what Sheets got.

Still, what he wants isn't what he's going to get per say. Buster Olney speculated that he may take a deal that would pay him 20 million over 6 years, or 23-24 over 5 years.

Honestly, I think when you consider that you're going to be paying Suppan 25 million over his final two years, and that you'll definitely be abel to trade Santana at any point in his contract provided he's healthy, it's really not THAT bad of an idea.

And finally, to Ender, yea, the Twins have always placed a premium on defense, but I believe they're starting to deviate from that just slightly in looking for more power, the one skill that's seemed to do them in year after year. I would think a package of Bill Hall for CF, Manny Parra, and then two good prospects, Gillespie+Gamel would get the deal done. So if we could sign him for say 6 year 125, then I'd be all for it. Let Sheets and Suppan go next year, and that is pretty much what he'd make.

Santana

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Villanueva/Bush/Capuano?

LOL....of course, it's not going to happen. My scenario that is, but to the OP, it's an interesting idea obviously.

Thanks Bullox. And while you would be trading Sheets and Soup for Santana NEXT year, the subsequent years, you would be trading all the young guys because over the next six years, they are about to get very expensive (Isn't it funny how that would coincide with the amount of years we would own the rights to most of our young players?).

The Brewers 5-10 prospects are not good enough to get Santana. Any deal would have to start with Parra, Laporta, and then some of the Gallardo/Carlos already in the bigs guys...not to mention, Laporta cannot be dealt until June.

Gallardo or Carlos might be as good as Johan the next 5 years and cost a fraction as much. I simply have no interest in mortgaging the franchise on a single arm, regardless of how good he is.

Wow, a Cy Young is pretty lofty expectations. I would be happy with two-all star appearences while in Milwaukee for Yo.

Back to the issue, I don't see this trade could happen without the Brewers mortgaging their furture and the Twins getting failr value.

Archived