Brewer Fanatic

How important is the first series of 2008?

Menotti80

I want to get people's thoughts on how big the first 3 games vs the Cubs really are to the Brewers this year. Looking at last year, the Brewers went 6-9 against the Cubs and were 2 games behind them at the end of the season. If the Brewers would have gone 8-7, they probably would have made the playoffs. I know the Crew literally would have had a better record if you give the brewers 2 more wins and the cubs 2 less wins, but noone can say for sure we would have gotten into the playoffs.

Anyways, I firmly believe that the start of 2008 doesn't matter all that much and that getting off to a hot start doesn't = season long success (obviously)... but because we face the Cubs in the first series, is this series a must-win series? Just how crucial is winning the head to head season series with the Cubs to the Brewers Playoff chances?

I'll take the robot answer: One of the least important series of the year, for their is so much time to make up for losses. It is divisional though, so it gets a boost in importance.

In order of importance:

Divisional -> National League -> Interleague

Game #162 -> Game 1

Must win games in April? How exciting. I think winning 2 of 3 from a division rival on the road would be a pretty impressive way to start the season. Anything other than a sweep would be great.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think all games are important, from #1 to #162. The season won't be over if we don't win, but if we come out of the gates being swept, it won't be long before changes are made. So I think the first couple series of the year are going to be very important

If we get swept in the first series, or play bad to start the season...Changes won't be made until around July1st. Management isn't going to axe Yost when Cameron hasn't even played yet. Besides...we're too good of a team to start the season off poorly.

This is OUR year!!! Go CREW!!!

In terms of the reaction of fans, it's a huge series. If the Brewers open up with a sweep, it could really get the support behind this team early. The team was hot early on last year, and it really helped to get casual fans excited about the team. As far as the effects on the team's performance and end of the year standings, it won't be any more important than any other series against a team we're fighting for a playoff berth.

I think every series is important. I also believe the first 82 games are more important than the last 82 games. I also believe winning early has a lot of consequences. my reasoning is as follows:

if the brewers start out fast, attendance will be big creating extra dollars that could be spent on veteran acquisitions down the stretch. Let's face it, attendance will be huge July - September no matter what.. if the brewers start out fast, Attendance may also be huge in May-June. If the brewers have a nice record after the first 82 games, management will have additional cash and be more likely to make trades to add to the team rather than to make trades to correct problems. if the team gets out to a fast start, we will focus a lot more on our major league team than our minor leageu prospects. If the team gets out to a fast start, we will have more all star selections which actually does get noticed by players and media and will generate more respect for the team, its management and the city of Milwaukee. Free agents are now starting to think of the brewers as a quality run team and also a winning team.

if the team gets out to a fast start, we can afford to weather the storm of future injuries. Let's face it. We're the brewers. We are going to have injuries. it's better to win as many games when healthy than to hope we can win them after we suffer those key player injuries. The brewers don't have a gallardo or braun waiting in the wings this year to call up as an injury replacement.

and last but not least, if you say the first series doesn't matter much, then you'll say the second series doesn't matter much either, and then the next one after that as well. and pretty soon the brewers will be 6-12. if you believe all of a sudden the brewers will start winning 25 games in a row after Cameron returns, you are naive. We need to win 60% of the games while he is gone to have a chance at winning the division. the Cubs are a tough opponent, but the brewers will have a lot of tough opponents. For some reason, the Pirates are a tougher team for the brewers to beat than the cubs. There is no reason why the pirates should have as many victories against the brewers as they have had the past 5 years. if the brewers win 2 or even 3 games against the Cubs, the season will not be over and we will not be crowned champs. But if we lose 2 or 3 games to the cubs, we will have started digging a hole which will be hard to climb out of.

Game 1 is just as important as game 162.

Since 2004 here is how we have done in the last 4 opening series.

2007: 2-1

2006: 3-0

2005: 2-0

2004: 3-1

Yes its the Cubs we are playing so it will be a "little" bit more important but it wont be the end of the world if we don't win the series.

Well I think you gotta like the opening series odds.

1) Sheets vs Lilly.
Lilly is the opening day starter. The brewers are a heavy right hitting lineup, that has mashed lefties int he past. That should, hopefully, be enough with Sheets on the mound.
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080118&content_id=2351060&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc
2) Gallardo vs Zambrano.
Gallardo should give us a chance to win vs Zambrano, especially if the emotions are running high for big Z as result of the opening series
3) Suppan/Villy vs Hill.
Not sure who the crew will be throwing out there in game 3, but cubs will most likely thow Rich Hill (another lefty) out there, unless they're trying to avoid our RH bats (doubt this will happen int he opening series, especially with Carmeon still sitting)

Top that with Fukudome still adjusting to MLB pitching and I think we have a very real shot of winning 2 of the 3.

EDIT - formatting (firefox not work well with posting here??)

In terms of the reaction of fans, it's a huge series. If the Brewers open up with a sweep, it could really get the support behind this team early.

To pile on, I would agree with this sentiment. A sweep either way will fire up the bloggers and the interwebs. I think even people here at BFnet will feel obliged to leave a comment or two. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's only 3 games out of 162, but...

I agree with everyone. Sometimes in baseball teams can get on a roll against splits, ie. home/away, night/day, divisional foes, etc. I think the Brewers would be best served to be a much tougher road team than in the past. Some early success here could propel them to a new "attitude" and some renewed confidence. Given that not making the playoff was a bitter pill for them (I'm assuming) trouncing the Cubs or taking 2 of 3 could really put them in a positive framework. Dumping the series wouldn't be the end of the world, but a good start is always a pleasure.

Any series vs. the Cubs is a big series. Not because they are the Cubs, but because they are defending division champs and the team to beat and quite frankly the talk in Chicago is that there is no competition in the division. The sooner the Brewers can squash that notion, the better. But it's 3 games, and no matter what happens, they have 3 more in Chicago at the end of April. That 2nd series is bigger as far as momentum and confidence going forward as they won't meet again until late July.

Is Zambrano making out the Cubs lineup card? I'll believe he won't start opening day when I hear it from Lou Piniella. I think he was joking. Zambrano will start the opener.

the talk in Chicago is that there is no competition in the division. That really astounds me. I thought even homer-iffic Cubs' fans would recognize that we're at the very least legitimate threats.

edit: wrong thread!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

One of the least important series of the year, for their is so much time to make up for losses.
Not a big fan of this line of thought.

Game 1 is just as important as game 162.

I agree with this whole heartedly. If it comes down to a must win game on the last day of the season, couldn't you look back to any loss in the season, even games in April and ask yourself, boy if they had only gotten a win there they wouldn't be in this "must win" situation today. I agree that games against division foes are more important than other games, but other than that, what month it is should not make a difference.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Lukevan, were you attempting to respond to the thread attempting to identify the most impactful new addition? As for the importance of the series, let me ask you this question. Which fanbase is going to be more up-in-arms over a series loss, the Cubs or the Brews? As stated earlier, the Cubs don't even think there is a bit of competition from any other club in the division. The Brewers are well aware of their utter collapse over the SECOND half to their North Side Neighbors. If anything, I would imagine the Cubs' fans will go Harikari (or Harry Carey) if they get swept. The Brewers' fans will just look ahead to the next series...and the Giants, and know there are more games to be played.

Since 2004 here is how we have done in the last 4 opening series.

2007: 2-1

2006: 3-0

2005: 2-0

2004: 3-1

Yes its the Cubs we are playing so it will be a "little" bit more important but it wont be the end of the world if we don't win the series.

Imagine what are record would have been if we wouldn't have won the first series of the past 4 years.

I think this series is just as important to the Brewers to win the division as was the last series in Wrigley last season. Every game against the Cubs is a 2 game swing in the standings.

Archived