Brewer Fanatic

Extra perks from your job.

InsomniacInkRoss

I usually get to ride golf carts around, which happens to be great fun (I work for my county's Parks and Recreation Department). Other than that, the sheer satisfaction of helping my neighbors and community in their quest to visit as many county parks as possible is all the perk I need.

That being said, I don't care if anyone goes to the parks, and I'm only in it for the check.

Get to work from home whenever I need to, can farm out any work to India that's not interesting, and can play Sheepshead over lunch every day. Not really "perks", but makes my job more fun nonetheless.

- $5,000 budget and a week off for training (meaning if there's a conference in california or florida or something, I can spend it on that).

- 1 week of "internal training", meaning I can work whatever I want for a week. This year, I made a democratic "jukebox" for work, where people can request songs, upload songs, vote on songs, and all control the volume (we have an open workspace [no cubicles])

I just stopped working for this employer in December, because the 100% travel just got to be a bit much. But what perks I did get:

-I stopped counting after my first year, but that first year I made it to 31 different states, some of them more than once. Florida I hit 7 times that year (Key West 4 times), Texas 4 times, etc. I also got to check out Vancouver and Whistler in BC, where the next Winter Olympics are going to be. My favorite 'business' trip was the trip to Cabo. While there, the equipment that we needed got stuck in customs all week, so I basically had an all expenses paid trip to stay on the beach at a luxury hotel in Cabo. Not too shabby. Other trips that stuck with me: Niagara Falls, Times Square in Manhattan 3 times, The Very Large Array in New Mexico (If you saw the movie Contact you have seen this immense field of satellite dishes), 5+ trips to San Diego, etc. So many more that I have forgotten at the time being.

-All of the frequent flier miles that go with the above travel. Not to mention 5+ free tickets due to oversold situations.

-All expenses paid rental cars and hotel rooms.

-Per diem - went out for sushi or steak just about every night of the week. I also got introduced to Thai food, which is awesome.

That's enough bragging for now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Free food and drink at nine different places whenever I want to, Bucks tickets, Packers game usually once a year with limo, and I get 5-10 Brewers games (front row, right behind the vistors dugout). http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, amongst my many jobs, I get a couple decent perks...

From one job, I get cheap hotel rooms. Can't beat $49/night at an Embassy Suites.

From another job, I get paid to watch concerts, shows and some sporting events and get paid to go to trade shows/conventions.

i get paid a lot of money to do nothing. does that count?

I also get paid alot to do nothing but sit here and surf the web. I would say in a 40 hour week i do about 5-10 of actual work. Thats right i work harder then Peter.

I am completely spoiled when it comes to what I get to drive. I get to drive all types of interesting classic exotic sports cars. Mostly German & British stuff. Winter is a hard time because all of our customers have their toys in storage. And the winter restoration projects we have can't be driven on the salty roads. I can't wait for April to roll around. Another perk is that I get unlimited paid vacation as long as I don't abuse it too much. Terrible health insurance though.

Well, I don't get much in terms of financial perks, actually mostly broken promises in that regard, but I build unmanned aircraft. So it's pretty cool knowing our stuff goes around the world on science projects. It helps with border patrol, but most fulfilling is reading e-mails from the military telling us how many bombs they avoid because of our planes. For every one that goes off, there are a lot that are caught beforehand.

I get paid to watch baseball. (albeit a small amount). I get free gear from our clubhouse store/ equipment guy on occasion.

I can get free entrance to all HS, College and Minor League games and can get into MLB games if I call ahead.

When working for a different company, I get paid travel, lodging, and food to watch and evaluate baseball players as well as getting paid a wage.

I just wish I could make all this a full-time gig. Right now it's about a 50% deal. Not that I'm complaining believe me.

Wow, some of you guys make me sick. Not to say that you haven't earned it, but it still makes me sick.

Although I did spend some time with a reggae band and I've done the gig thing before, which has a few perks. It's a somewhat impossible way to make a living and has no insurance (which sucks when you spend all your time in bars), but the perks include free drinks and you get to travel around and meet some cool people. Unfortunately there are also some pretty uncool people that you have to meet. It's different if you're in a rock band because most people know something about it and can carry on a conversation when they're drunk. I played trombone in a reggae band, so I had drunk people asking me some pretty strange stuff and telling me that my trumpet was really big. The negative outweighed the positive in that aspect.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I worked in restaurants and retail for 10 years. I was accustomed to working 50+ hours a week without breaks while trying to motivate and supervise losers who can hardly read. Not to mention attempting to satisfy my own bosses and their unrealistic goals.

I now have a job with normal hours, scheduled 30-minute lunch breaks everyday and two 15 minute paid breaks. Plus, when works over, it's over and I don't have to worry about it until tomorrow. It doesn't take a lot to please me...

I've had difficulty thinking of perks associated with my public sector job. However, my workplace is chock full of print materials and objects on virtually all facets of life in North America. We have an 1804 diary that was kept by a member of the Lewis and Clark crew; state records that can't be found in the original state of publication; millions of photographs depicting life in Wisconsin; a series of booklets written by the same crackpot guy on who killed JFK (was it LBJ? Oswald? or the Kennedy clan?); and more than I could ever describe or will ever have time to eyeball myself.

One of my latest finds is a small 3-ring folder called "Milwaukee County Stadium Information and Statistics." It includes a brief history of County Stadium's construction, a year by year summary of construction costs up through 1970, and a year by year listing of stadium improvements ($906.91 spent on planting beds in 1959, for example). Who thought to keep something like this? My library did. It's not a perk as such, but I think it's cool.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's tough to post all the benefits/perks of military life:

Free health care/dental, no housing costs, plus 500 K of life insurance uber cheap.

Military discounts at a ton of places....Chilis at my current station is 50% off while in uniform. Gotta love that

Most airlines will upgrade you to 1st class if not full on your flight.

30 days of vacation per year off the top.

All federal holidays off. Gotta love 3 and 4 days.

Get to travel around and see the world. Plus we can get flights for free to anywhere the military flies.

Sign On, Reenlistment Bonuses

Ton of money for college through GI Bill and Tuition assistance.

Also love the fact that people everywhere come up and thank me for doing my job.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Archived