Brewer Fanatic

Jose Reyes or Hanley Ramirez?

splitterpfj

Hanley's defense last year was generally regarded as terrible by every system out there. Below are his runs below average from these systems.

RZR: -22 runs

Dewans : -29 runs

UZR: -20 runs

PMR: -2 runs

The only outlier there is PMR, which may just be off or might be catching something the other systems aren't, but it's in mostly in agreement that he was around 20 runs below average.

And I'll put my vote up for Ramirez. He's already an offensive force and with some defensive improvement he'll be an incredibly well rounded player.

I haven't seen much of ramirez, so I'm just basing his defense on informed judges who believe his tenure at SS will be short. fan, you did use some of the least useful defensive stats. maybe someone can come up with some more. Reyes tailed off at the end of last season; prior to that, his offensive stats were much more comparable to ramirez.

I'll stick with "it depends" for my answer.

First of all, I don't find any defensive metric very useful. They're all incredibly flawed. Second, I understand the stats I used aren't considered by many on here as the more "useful" stats. Then again, as I said, I don't think any are.

All you can divine from DP totals is that the Marlins allowed more baserunners than NYM. These numbers alone tell you nothing about ability.

Exactly how does that stat tell you how many runners the Marlins allowed? It doesn't tell you how many base runners either team allowed at all.

Exactly how does that stat tell you how many runners the Marlins allowed? It doesn't tell you how many base runners either team allowed at all.

It tells you that the Marlins allowed way more baserunners than NYM. There's absolutely no way you can find any worth in using a DP stat to provide some insight into a player unless it's rate-based, which this one isn't.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived