Brewer Fanatic

Best Roadtrip Stadium?

Leinie Lodge
I will second pitchleague's observation about Bank One Ballpark(Chase Field). Every time I have been there it seems like the fans are not into the game and they have to be prompted to get involved in the game. This last season they had this big marketing thing that was called "D-Volution" which I am sure they were trying to model after the Red Sox Nation or something similar. I was there for the Brewers series and was actually told not to cheer and stand up because it "offended" some AZ fans. It seemed like their cheering consisted of a golf clap and of course the wave. My only real complaint with the ballpark is the downtown location. There is no ability to tailgate since the only parking is in parking garages.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have got to say I HATED Pac-Bell (ATT now?) when I went there last summer. Drunk, dumb fans. They actually serve hard alcohol inside the park, so LOTS of people get totally hammered. Started chanting "over-rated" to the Pirates. The Pirates were the only team WORSE than the Giants at that point. The park itself does everything it can to draw your attention AWAY from the field, exactly the opposite of Safeco.

I will second pitchleague's observation about Bank One Ballpark(Chase Field). Every time I have been there it seems like the fans are not into the game and they have to be prompted to get involved in the game. This last season they had this big marketing thing that was called "D-Volution" which I am sure they were trying to model after the Red Sox Nation or something similar. I was there for the Brewers series and was actually told not to cheer and stand up because it "offended" some AZ fans. It seemed like their cheering consisted of a golf clap and of course the wave. My only real complaint with the ballpark is the downtown location. There is no ability to tailgate since the only parking is in parking garages.

Wow. It's different than when I visited there. I was there over Memorial Day Weekend in 2000. The fans were great. It was very hot (as is usual in Arizona) and I was talking to some fans outside Leinie's Lodge (which they were supposed to build at Miller Park, but that's another story). Someone invited me to sit at their table in the shade under the mist sprinklers. Then he said he had an extra ticket and invited me to sit with his family right off the dugout. For season ticket holders, they have private restaurants behind the dugouts. So I got a tour and actually stood about 30 feet from Davey Lopes while he was supposedly managing. I also enjoyed the Hall of Fame in right center (another thing that Miller Park was supposed to have).

As far as an usher telling you not to cheer because it "offended" Arizona fans, well, to me, that would have been an invitation to cheer even louder. As long as the language is clean, they can't do anything about you cheering, I'd like to see them try.

I've only been to 6, but here's my list.

1) PNC Park- I saw the Brewers play there for their 4 game set in July, and fortunately saw the only win of the series. It was like $26.00 for about 15-20 rows up from the dugouts, awesome scenery as well.

2) Camden Yards- Saw it this summer when they played the Yankees. A-Rod had 499 HR's at the time but didn't get one that series. That ticket stub probably would've been worth something. Only problem was it was the end of July which meant it was like 96 and extremely humid at game time.

3) Miller Park

4) "Chase Bank Field" aka the BOB. Obviously really feels like you're inside, but it's clearly necessary when it's like 100 every day over the summer. Inside reminded me of Miller Park, with the TGIF in the outfield and all that jazz.

5) Wrigley Field- I realize the field itself is awesome and if it wasn't for the rest of the stadium it'd be up at the top. The seats are really uncomfortable, the concession area/bathrooms are total garbage, and a lot of the fans are obnoxious. One of my friend's dads has season tickets in pretty good spots (Cause he works in Chicago) so instead of annoying drunk fans, it's a lot of guys in business suits not paying too much attention. Although I will admit there's definitely some knowledgeable fans. Also, the Cubs are 0-5 when I've gone so that's always a plus. I was at the game in '06 when Atlanta hit 7 HR's or something like that.

6)Tropicana Field- Their new stadium couldn't come any sooner. I felt like I was watching the game in a big cellar. No atmosphere at all, and it's not even in Tampa.

I have got to say I HATED Pac-Bell (ATT now?) when I went there last summer. Drunk, dumb fans. They actually serve hard alcohol inside the park, so LOTS of people get totally hammered. Started chanting "over-rated" to the Pirates. The Pirates were the only team WORSE than the Giants at that point. The park itself does everything it can to draw your attention AWAY from the field, exactly the opposite of Safeco.

Well, I saw about 20 games there last year and couldn't disagree much more--the San Francisco crowd has absolutely nothing on the MP or Wrigley crowds in terms of alcoholic idiocy. Sorry you had a bad time but I've never seen behavior like that at all there.

As far as the field thing goes, the thing about AT&T is the worse your seats are, the better your view of the surroundings. Upper-deck is gorgeous on a clear Saturday afternoon. Of course, it's hard to miss the gigantic coke bottle.

Wow.. I'm sad to say I've seen hundreds of baseball games. But only at 3rd World Stadium (County Stadium), Miller Park, and the AA Baseball Team in Wichita. But this year that's changing... I'm going to go (And get on TV!).

How are the hotels around PNC? Any on the cheap but won't give me the clap after sitting on the toilet?

1. Miller Park- Love the tailgating, the roof, and my team

2. Jacob's Field- I like the area behind center field, it's a park like setting with concessions and tables. I saw a play-off game, Game 4 ALCS against the Red Sox this year, so the atmosphere was unbelievable. It makes me want the Brewers to go to the play-offs that much more. EVERYONE was into the game, cheering together, no fighting or dumb arguments. Overall a really good time.

3. Yankee Stadium- Cleveland was more recent, and a play-off game so it gets the nod. I was young but the atmosphere was pretty cool for a regular season game. On the same trip we saw Robin Yount get inducted to the Hall. I was pretty young but going there and to Yankee stadium is pretty unforgettable.

Chase Field was pretty cool, reminded me some of Miller Park inside. I didn't see a game because it was March, we just ate at Friday's.

airshuttle is right on about that series in August last year. We, too, were "told" to sit down when we were cheering on the Brewers in game one. We didn't listen. Actually, the fans behind us and to our left had a pleasant discussion about it after the female usher left. We all kind of shrugged it off. One guy behind me even said, "it's okay, we suck tonight. Enjoy it while you can."

brewguru, Chase Field is a lot different now than in 2000 when you were there. The Hall of Fame stuff? Gone. In it's place? A nightclub. Leinie's? Building still exists but now it's "Hi-Tops" which is a bar-restaurant by day (complete with Hi-Tops girls--think Hooter's) and dance club at night. The restaurant behind home plate? Yeah, I think it's still there. Only 300 or so fans get to use it, though, so it's not really counted as a "fan amenity" in my book. It's still a great ballpark, but they could do much better.

And, airshuttle, I full-heartedly support you on the downtown stadium= no tailgating thing. It stinks. Several times I have thought long and hard about arriving way early, parking on the top level of a garage, and breaking out the mini-Weber. But, with 120-degree temps up there, I don't think I could bear it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Pitchleague: That's too bad. I have nothing against Hooters or beautiful women, but Leinie's Lodge was baseball. In fact, Uecker and Yount were part owners of it. And the Hall of Fame was awesome. It's too bad about corporate greed.

In fact, this naming rights thing has got to stop. Does anyone call Candlestick by it's rightful name? And you could have 5 different names on a stadium in 20 years with all the mergers and bankruptcies. The Jake is even getting a corporate sponsor this year.

I'll tell you why corporate naming rights don't work. Disney is probably the best marketing organization in the world. When they owned the Angels a few years ago, they didn't even slap their name on the stadium...they sent it out for bids. What does that tell you?

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Now, back to your regular programming...

Archived