Brewer Fanatic

proposed video game tax

patrickgpe

all right i have spoke out on the tax climate in this state, but to propose a video game tax in order to raise the the age that someone can be charged as an adult from 17 to 18 for not violent crimes. Personally i buy about 4 games a year which means this will cost me less than 5 dollars.

link

I understand there are certain services that are required and a tax increase is an easy to way accomplish them. Even raising some taxes like the cigarette one to create some stop smoking programs, i am not in favor of, but i see the merits. To do this one (1) raises a tax that has nothing to do with the ends and (2) makes the state a more dangerous one.

I just don't get it. I think this will only allow gangs to find more 17 year old to commit crimes for them with minimal penalties.

why don't we just tax the air that we breathe? I mean, everybody needs it so everyone will have to pay tax on it. Then this state can spend even more money on useless crap that we either don't need or that doesn't work. Seriously, this whole tax incentive that just got got 2 movies to film in Milwaukee.....why can't the politicians look at that as an example as to why to LOWER taxes, instead of raising them. Granted it's a different type of tax, but still. This state is going to lose the world headquarters to Miller Brewing because the tax climate is Colorado is so much better. The cigarette tax going way up means people aren't buying as many cigarettes in the state. I seriously hate this state.

What the balls? Seriously, why are gamers paying for changing the "Charged As Adult Status" from 17 to 18 for some crimes and not society in general? It's not like this tax is to treat "Gamer addiction" or some other issue directly caused by video games. Guess I'm calling my state senator. It appears that this is an excess tax, think they can sneak another tax in because someone willing to blow 500 clams on a game system won't scoff at the 5 dollar increase or notice it. Plus how many video gamers are really active in politics?

Full Bill: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2007/data/SB-401.pdf

Senate District Map: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/ltsb/redistricting/senate_districts.htm

And it appears the WI Senate list of Senators map thing is broken, so you will have to find another way to contact them. My guess is for email, Sen.THEIRLASTNAME@legis.wisconsin.gov I emailed my 5th District Senator, and will call his office on Monday.

Let me tell you how it will be;

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

'Cause I'm the taxman,

Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Should five per cent appear too small,

Be thankful I don't take it all.

'Cause I'm the taxman,

Yeah, I'm the taxman.

(if you drive a car, car;) - I'll tax the street;

(if you try to sit, sit;) - I'll tax your seat;

(if you get too cold, cold;) - I'll tax the heat;

(if you take a walk, walk;) - I'll tax your feet.

Taxman!

'Cause I'm the taxman,

Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Don't ask me what I want it for, (ah-ah, mister Wilson)

If you don't want to pay some more. (ah-ah, mister heath)

'Cause I'm the taxman,

Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Now my advice for those who die, (taxman)

Declare the pennies on your eyes. (taxman)

'Cause I'm the taxman,

Yeah, I'm the taxman.

And you're working for no one but me.

Taxman!

why are gamers paying for changing the "Charged As Adult Status" from 17 to 18 for some crimes and not society in general?

Funny thing is, if kids are inside playing video games, chances are they are not committing any crimes.

I support not charging 15 and 16 years old as adults.

But why does this need funding and why vids?

Because these kids stay in Juvenile Detension instead of jail. And, according to my step-son to be, it isn't all that bad.

He said they have cable and a gym to play basketball. Boy is that tough.

The videogame market is an easy target, or was. I think people see videogames as stuff for kids so they think nobody will stand up and say anything if they try to enforce restrictions and taxes on them. I really have no problem with carding for videogames, but only if they are going to do the same for movies and CD's.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Baldkin[/b]]Can someone explain to me how charging less people is going to take more money?

It wouldn't be charging less people it would simply move these "non-violent" cases to the juvenile system. That is usually paid for by the county rather than the state and involves all sorts of counselling and other services for these offenders. So here in Milwaukee this is going to cost the county a lot of money. I read projections of $24 million a year over the money that would be raised by this tax.

Call your senator! Contact the news.. the more exposure the better. I emailed Gabe and Tycho from Penny-arcade. Hopefully they pick p the cause and put a stop to this. (go go millions of nerds!)

Please look at the bill, contact your senator, and express your dislike. This can easily pass into law, as well.. Video gamers won't notice, and low and behold we are taxed again. "It's not much". But it adds up. Do something about it.. I am. Sorry 08 Presidential Campaign (And FTJ blog!), I found something else to obsess about!

Jim Sullivan of District 5. Your Sponsorship JUST lost my vote. And I've never missed an election (Except one local primary when I was on Kansas) and I will express my dislike with my ballot. Unless you can give me a very compelling reason why you taxed me, I will not be voting for you. Rant off.

I support not charging 15 and 16 years old as adults.

Not to get off topic, but I do. I've seen what 15 and 16 years olds can do. We already treat them easy enough. If a 16 year old commits an armed robbery and for some reason only gets charged as a minor, he'll be out of "prison" in less than 2 years. I don't know...to me people who commit these crimes are already lost souls, and most can't be saved because most don't want to be.

Back to the video game tax...its just another example of what the state does because it can. I am guilty of never calling my state senator or assemblymen, but I do try to vote for the person who is going to keep the most amount of money in my pocket.

Archived