Brewer Fanatic

Morneau and Cuddyer set to sign long term deals w/Twins

yoyomayoma

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/14355301.html

Just a hunch but I'll bet that Santana is gone within a week. Smith did something to appease Twins Nation so that giving up Johan for peanuts won't hurt so bad. Interested to see how his contract compares with Baby Jesus (Mauer).

Story updated to say that Cuddyer is also signing a long term deal. Big news for the Twins.

Great deals for the Twins. Hunter is in his prime, but won't be anywhere close to worth the money when his contract ends with the Angels. Carlos was average and replacable. If our young pitching starts the season well i think we can do some things...

As for Santana... a new stadium, we have the dough.... No better way to stick it to Boston and NY than to sign Santana long term. If the season starts well, offer Santana 5 years, $125 million, and he'll take it.

Morneau average?

2006 OPS+ 140

2007 OPS+ 121

I know he had a bit of down year last season from his MVP campaign, but average? Maybe you can clarify what you meant or how you think he's average.

For that matter:

Cuddyer

2006 OPS+ 124

2007 OPS+ 111

You're right that they can't afford to lose Mauer, especially now with Morneau and Cuddyer signed. For me he's always the most important player for that offense/defense. As for the Twins contending, I think staying within 5 games of Detroit/Cleveland would be pretty impressive.

Morneau for his career is average in terms of production from a quality first basemen. His career OBP is .340 and his SLG% is .498. They are paying Morneau as much as the Sox are paying Konerko who's career numbers are still better than Morneau's in over twice as many at bats (.353 and .495). In other words, the Twins are taking a huge gamble that Morneau is going to continue to improve over the life of this deal, or they are going to be paying a lot of money for average talent in so far as veteran slugging 1B go.

As for Cuddyer, his career OBP is .346 and SLG% is .450. Ol' Geoff Jenkins' career numbers are .347 and .496. The Twins signed Cuddyer to a deal they didn't have to, because he was under their control through 2009. They essentially are paying him a premium for his last two arbitration eligible seasons (14.5 million incl. signing bonus), and then nearly 20 million for his first two years of free agency. Not that it is a horrible deal, but there is no need to pay Cuddyer the premium for his last two arby years, because there is plenty of sub .800 corner outfielders available for 10 million a season or less. Just ask Geoff Jenkins (2 yrs/13 million) Milton Bradley (1yr/5.25 mil), etc. The Twins would have been better served to go year to year with Cuddyer and let him walk, then pay him all that cash, when he hasn't distinguished himself from the cadre of corner OFers in the majors.

Haven't they been talking about Cuddyer in CF? I know I read something about it, but don't know if they're actually doing it. He'd be more valuable out there if he plays average defense, though I'm not sure he has good enough speed to be average. I won't really argue Cuddyer, I consider him to be very average as well for a corner OF.

As for Gleeman, am I missing a link somewhere? I'm not sure which article you're referencing but would very much like to read it.

Morneau was dead middle of the pack for starting 1B in terms of OPS in 07, but was 6th among 1B in OPS in 2006. He may not have been the true MVP of 2006 and he may not have the great OBP other 1B like Ortiz have, but that doesn't mean he's just an average 1B. He's still only 26, a year or two from the magical age 28 season. I think he could reasonably put up .300/.380/.570 this season, which would be just below what we'd expect out of Prince Fielder this season.

Cuddyer is a terrible defensive OF, one of the worst in the league other than how strong his arm is. I don't think a strong arm plays as well in CF and his other defensive issues will be magnified. That is a bad combination and he should really be playing RF if there is any way to make it happen.

Archived