Brewer Fanatic

Midwest League 2008

Dmiles23

Beloit (Twins): OF Ben Revere, maybe C Danny Rams and OF Angel Morales.

Cedar Rapids (Angels): SS Andrew Romine, RHP Jonathan Bachanov.

Dayton (Reds): C Devin Mesoraco, SS Neftali Soto (maybe), 3B Brandon Waring (tore up Pioneer League last summer).

Great Lakes (Dodgers): RHP Chris Withrow, 3B Pedro Baez (maybe on both).

Lansing (Blue Jays): Depending on how the Blue Jays promote a bunch of their prep picks, they could have a loaded IF with 3B Kevin Ahrens, SS Justin Jackson and 2B John Tolisano as well as CF Eric Eiland.

South Bend (D-Backs): RHP Jarrod Parker, SS Reynaldo Navarro (maybe), and depending on how and where they place a bunch of college pitchers from last year, RHPs Wes Roemer, Sean Morgan (former Brewers pick), Bryan Augenstein & LHP Scott Maine. C Ed Easley.

West Michigan: RHP Rick Porcello, SS Cale Iorg, RHPs Brandon Hamilton & Luke Putkonen, LHP Casey Crosby (maybe).

Burlington (Royals): SS, Mike Moustakas, possibly LHP Danny Duffy, RHPs Matt Mitchell and Sam Runion, OF Adrian Ortiz.

Clinton (Rangers): Possibly RHPs Blake Beaven, Michael Main, Neil Ramirez, mostly likely CF Julio Borbon and RHP Tommy Hunter. Possibly IF Matt West. Probably OF Tim Smith (former Brewer DFE).

Fort Wayne (Padres): RHP Matt Latos, SS Drew Cumberland, OF Kellen Kulbacki.

Kane County (A's): Tough to say given the number of college picks they always take (they may be at high A to open '08). OF Corey Brown seems like a safe bet.

Peoria (Cubs): 3B Josh Vitter, C Josh Donaldson.

Quad Cities (Cardinals): SS Peter Kozma.

Wisconsin (Mariners): RHP Phillippe Aumont (maybe), OF Denny Almonte (another maybe).

Porcello, Vitters & Moustakas are the big names here, the 3 top prep players from the '07 draft. Parker, Aumont, Ahrens, Kozma & Mesoraco adds a few more, and it could be a lot more depending on a few initial placements to open the season. The MWL should be loaded with talent.

Yeah, the talent thats gonna be there is amazing. I doubt I'll ever see a class as top strong as the one I saw my first year following the midwest league (2006: Upton, Maybin,Bruce,Rasmus), but its gonna be very difficult for a future midwest league class to surpass the depth of this one. For example, Clinton's team could boost anywhere from 5-7 serious prospects, and the 3 top high schoolers taken in the last draft will be there. Overall, I plan on making at least a dozen trips to Beloit in order to see all these players! Beloit is probably my favorite place to watch a game, because quite frankly the game/atmosphere is so much better there! Just curious, Colby do you think Neftali Feliz and Engel Beltre will play there for Clinton? Because, if they are that will make one heck of a team

Colby have you had a chance to talk to Tony Butler at all or atleast provide a scouting report on him? I know he was home for a while in Oak Creek but I missed seeing him this year. I remember our talk in the outfield before softball one game, I'm still bitter the Brewers passed on him for Brewer.

No, I haven't talked to Butler since I saw him pitch in high school. It was a cold day, but he touched 91 and clearly showed the potential for more velocity. Pretty good breaking ball on that day as well, as no one could touch him (except for one guy that was pretty excited to hit a double off of him).

That would have been pretty cool to have both Butler and Seidel in the system right now.

• 2 weeks later...
No, I haven't talked to Butler since I saw him pitch in high school. It was a cold day, but he touched 91 and clearly showed the potential for more velocity. Pretty good breaking ball on that day as well, as no one could touch him (except for one guy that was pretty excited to hit a double off of him).

Butler just got moved to the O's in the Bedard deal so he will not be in Appleton.

Looks like T-rattler fans will be looking at better prospects on other teams this year. I like to go see a couple games but will be looking at who they are playing more closely this year.

That would have been pretty cool to have both Butler and Seidel in the system right now.

Archived