Brewer Fanatic

Cougar in Rock County

Crew2323

we had some cougar problems in the late 80's / early 90's at Edwards AFB in California. Edwards AFB is basically a very big deserted area with a lot of land and abandoned remote sites. The actual base makes up 10% of the land usage. The other 90% of the land is for stuff we can't talk about. You could say it's basically a wildlife preserve for Joshua trees. or a nuclear waste dump. a testing zone for NASA made UFO's. make up your own story. Suffice it to say, it's a long way from the base to the nearest pizza delivery place.

I saw one of the cougars on two occasions. I'm not sure if it was the same one or not. it was early morning. I was in my car. I stayed in my car. I'm smart. I also saw a bunch of rattlesnakes on other days. but that's a different TRUE story. Several months later , we found what the cougar was using as his den, and some of his tracks and the remains of some of his previous meals. He was using an abandoned radio relay shack as his home. The door was ajar. Fortunately for us, he wasn't home at the time of our visit. What I really remember about him was that he looked bigger than a great dane and walked across the road like a tiger.

We had a lot of small pets that, if left unattended, disapeared in the night at Edwards AFB. We also had a big coyote population as well. every hour at night you could here somebody's lunch being caught.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure this just wasn't a case of the Craig High school mascot going out for a road trip? In the early 70's there was a bar in the country somewhere in eastern rock County that had a blind bartender. it was a very popular place for high school students. then again, the drinking age back then was 18, but we didn't let that bother us. I suspect little has changed.

if i happen to have a gun in my hands when i see one of these im definately shooting........same with when im deer hunting and see coyotes or wolves.......im shooting.

i havent seen any yet....but my hunting partners have seen some and tried.

i know shooting wolves are illegal but how would you tell it from a coyote at a distance

and wat is the dnr saying about shooting a cougar

i know shooting wolves are illegal but how would you tell it from a coyote at a distance

and wat is the dnr saying about shooting a cougar

Coyotes are much smaller than wolves.

The DNR is saying the police did what they had to do by shooting it. In a residential area like that and kids around they really had no choice.

• 1 month later...
Supposedly there was a Cougar in my rural subdivision last night (near Omro). I didn't see it but one of the neighbors heard it "screaming" and called the police at 2:00 AM...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived