Brewer Fanatic

Looking for some geek help - Dynamic DNS question

bullox

I realize that I may be barking up the wrong tree with this question here, but I'm looking for an answer and this is a pretty smart group here.

I am looking to set up Dynamic DNS for a total of 4 separate physical locations (across town). Each of the 4 locations are setup for DHCP so a static IP isn't really an option. Each of these locations are setup with security cameras that are monitored on an on-site PC. There is one location outside of the 4 (from here on called HQ) where all of them are monitored remotely via Remote Desktop. Of course, every so often, the IP for each of these sites changes and the HQ loses the connection until the new IP is found.

I have my own domain - let's call it domain.net. What I want to do is set up location1.domain.net, location2.domain.net, etc and set them up for dynamic DNS to alleviate this issue. I have been successful in the past in setting up DDNS for an A record, meaning for example domain.net. I have not done it with a subdomain.

Is it possible to set up a DDNS client to update a CNAME record? The PCs on each of the sites are running Windows XP if that helps at all.

I won't get my hopes up waiting for an answer, but it'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised with some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

I have an account at dyndns.org, and run a client that updates an A record for something.dyndns.org when needed. I then have a CNAME for home.mydomain.com that points to the dyndns.org hostname, and that has worked pretty well for me.

Archived