Brewer Fanatic

So, what's our 2008 rotation?

adambr2

I don't know how you can leave Bush out of the rotation. He was arguably the most consistent pitcher the Brewers had last year from April-October. Other guys were hotter at times (Suppan in July/August), injured (Sheets, Capuano), Ineffective (Capuano, Villanueava for a stretch), or in the minors (Yo Go).

But from April until October, there wasn't a more consistent pitcher for the Brewers than Dave Bush. I would guess he will be given every chance to keep his spot in the rotation (probably ahead of Capuano).

I disagree about Bush. Considering Cappy has the more proven track record, and has proven to be a very effective lefty starter in the past, I would say a rotation spot is his to lose.

I think we've seen enough of Bush to see that he is what he is -- an average #5 starter. Which is fine some years, but not good enough to make the 2008 Brewers rotation.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him or Vargas get traded before the season. I think Bush could be very effective in a long relief role. Parra starts the year in AAA.

I don't know how you can leave Bush out of the rotation. He was arguably the most consistent pitcher the Brewers had last year from April-October.

It's not like he's crazy for leaving Bush out. Bush, is by most accounts, the odd man out of the lineup. When Melvin goes on and on about how he expects Cappy to bounce back, then I think it's safe to say that he's going to be back in the rotation.

Bottom line, the top 3 are there without an argument. That leaves 2 spots for Villy, Cappy, Bush, Vargas and Parra. I think we all know that Villy deserves a spot. He was better last year as a starter than the rest. He was very good the year before. In fact, he's only been good when he's gotten a chance to start.

So now take the last 4. It's obvious to me at least that it's not obvious who should start, so I don't think you should be surprised when someone has any of those 4 in the rotation(other than Vargas). But Cappy's got the best chance to bounce back, or at least one would assume based on his track record.

I think BF.net's near consensus that Villanueva will be in the OD rotation is not shared by Melvin and Yost. I could definitely see Bush in there over Villnueva to start the year, rebuilding trade value. I'm not so sure Villanueva's the better pitcher, either.

I think BF.net's near consensus that Villanueva will be in the OD rotation is not shared by Melvin and Yost. I could definitely see Bush in there over Villnueva to start the year, rebuilding trade value. I'm not so sure Villanueva's the better pitcher, either.

Perhaps, if you've heard different interviews than I, or have some intimate knowledge of their take on the situation(and I don't mean that first comment to be snide, I haven't heard every comment they've made). It just would appear to me that they've gone out of their way to say that Villanueva will have every chance to win a spot in the starting rotation. I guess that doesn't mean he's going to be, but it suggests to me that he will.

Bush pitched much worse in the 2nd half than 1st half. The ERA was the same but the first half one was mostly caused by the more variant stats (BABIP, LOB% etc), the second half ERA was driven by a drop in GB rate, K rate and a jump in BB rate.

I don't mean that first comment to be snide, I haven't heard every comment they've made

I remember at least one of the situations to which sbryl refers... from the Melvin/Attanasio/Yost brewers.com chat. The part where they mentioned Villy a bit stuck out to me like a sore thumb - I was surprised how much it sounded like they were leaning toward having Villy in the 'pen again (at least to start) this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At one point they said Villanueva had a leg up on others in the rotations. In a later interview they mentioned they really liked a lot of things he did out of the bullpen last year and that he was very valuable to them in that role.

My guess is if they dont' find a trade he starts in the bullpen again while they showcase Bush/Capuano for a trade.

At one point they said Villanueva had a leg up on others in the rotations. In a later interview they mentioned they really liked a lot of things he did out of the bullpen last year and that he was very valuable to them in that role.

My guess is if they dont' find a trade he starts in the bullpen again while they showcase Bush/Capuano for a trade.

I sure would hope the Brewers only thoughts when setting up the rotation to start the season is which five they believe gives them the best chance to win games.

I sure would hope the Brewers only thoughts when setting up the rotation to start the season is which five they believe gives them the best chance to win games.

I'm almost positive it won't be, Parra will start in the minors and he is probably the 3rd best starter on the team this year. This is why people are actually worried about the 'too much pitching' we still have.

I think Capuano gets the 5th spot because he's a lefty. Bush took a step back in '07. That's too bad, I like him, but he had a chance to really become a solid mid rotation guy last year, and he blew it. Villy and Gallardo have passed him by. I am surprised there haven't been more rumors/talk about trading him.

I think it's a foregone conclusion the rotation is going to the one adambr2 proposed. Bush starts in the pen, but inevitably there will be a need for him in the rotation before the year's out. Very few teams go an entire season with the same 5 starters from opening day to the playoffs. The Phillies for example had 8 pitchers who started 10 games or more. The D-Backs 7, Mets 6, Braves 6. Dodgers had 6 that made at least 15 starts; Rockies had 8 pitchers that started at least 8 games.

Bush makes a pretty fine 6th man. I don't see where Vargas fits in, though. Parra should go to AAA and get regular work. It's been a long time since the guy has pitched 125 innings in a year. He's hardly ever healthy so I think it would be best for him to work every 5 days in the minors, build up arm strength and show he can physically hold up to the workload of a rotation.

I would probably be ok with Villy and Parra in the pen to start the season. Save some innings on their arms so that they will be strong all season. Then when someone goes down with injuries they can jump right in, or (if it is a position player that gets injured) trade Bush for a replacement and let one of them step into the rotation with a fresh arm.

For the record, as for what I would like to see, I would pretty much agree with Sheets-Yo-Soup-Villy-Cappy, and Bush as the long man and 6th option. Parra follows Gallardo's 2007. Shed Vargas this offseason, still have 6 options not counting Parra. If Sheets is gone after this season, it'll sure be nice to have both Capuano and Bush still around: Yo-Villy-Soup-Cappy-Parra, and 6th man Bush. Sheets stays, we can trade Soup, Capuano, or Bush for something decent.

Formatted for reading:

2008 - Trade Vargas

1. Sheets

2. Gallardo

3. Suppan

4. Villanueva

5. Capuano

6. Bush

2009 - If we resign Sheets, we could deal someone, likely Suppan, Cappy, or Bush.

1. Gallardo

2. Villanueva

3. Suppan

4. Capuano

5. Parra

6. Bush

actually, we've heard you about 50 times now...we just disagree with you...it's different...

i'm ok with villy in the pen to start the season until someone falters...though i'd rather see bush in the pen because i think he would be a plus arm there...

there's no room for vargas in the inn...

Archived