Brewer Fanatic

Australian Open - Tennis

jaybird2001wi

I am not sure if anyone is a tennis fan, but this is the first Major tennis tournament I have ever taken quite an interest in since the Agassi-Sampras dynasty in the 1990's, but this time I am more interested in the female circuit. Was there ever a time when a ton of 20-something female tennis players were so dominant and had high prospects? I actually stayed awake until 2am watching the Women's semifinal between Daniela Hantuchova and Ana Ivanovic last night. Ivanovic and Sharapova facing off against each other for the Championship. Because a lot of these type of topics get blocked because people post pics of these athletes, I will choose to base this topic based on ABILITY rather than looks (although, I am in love with Ivanovic).

Ivanovic is like Maria Sharapova lite. She displayed so much mental toughness after losing eight straight games against a veteran Hantuchova last night and prevailing to win the match. She gained a lot of control and poise later in the match, and was the first women's match to go to a third set in the entire tournament which caused a ton of excitement.

The only thing Ivanovic seems to struggle at is she isn't the best server on the court and had a lot of faults.

I watched the Ivanovic-Hantuchova match as well and agree that Ivanovic showed a lot of toughness, that said Hantuchova's MO is to struggle with Emotions/Pressure. The turning point seemed to be Ivanovic started running around her backhand and dictating with her forehand.

I doubt Ivanovic has the same margain for error early on agianst Sharapova.

i can't watch the matches right now, but i'm a tennis player and i've always preferred women's pro vs. the men's. the women's is more comparitive to the way regular people play in that they have actual rallys and longer points.

the thing about a mens match is that the 5 set format is way too much. I would never ever watch an entire 5 set match, but i did watch the majority of the Ivanovic match last night until i had to go to work. The announcers mentioned that she was single...anyone know how I can get her number???

paul, you are one of the millions in line for Ivanovic right now. She looks cute even when she is playing. Plus, I never knew something good can come from Serbia, the little known country between Russia and Europe. But since this forum bans ALL women pictures and such, I will not post ANY pictures of her for the good of the forum.

I just loved her reactions after each game point she won. The third set was a total battle, going into a sixth deuce. This match actually made tennis exciting to me, and it seemed like EVERYONE was pulling for Ivanovic during the match. Hantuchova blasted the officiating and called Ivanovic's "shoe shuffle" leading to "squeaking" distracting. ESPN.com mentioned Hantuchova didn't even want to shake hands with Ivanovic at the end of the match.

Federer is far from dull, IMO. The guy is historically great. It's kind of like saying that watching the Patriots go to 19-0 in a couple weeks is dull. I do agree with GAME that the men's game is too ace-driven, though, but Federer's one of the few that doesn't rely on a massive serve alone.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They really need to go back to wooden rackets and add some excitement and some extended rallies. It's all baseline play nowadays.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Federer is far from dull, IMO. The guy is historically great. It's kind of like saying that watching the Patriots go to 19-0 in a couple weeks is dull. I do agree with GAME that the men's game is too ace-driven, though, but Federer's one of the few that doesn't rely on a massive serve alone.

I'd like to disagree with this if you look at the best mens players they are good servers but not reliant on the serve. Federer and Djokovic are all court players, Nadal is frequently criticized for not serving well enough. From there Davydenko, Ferrer, Hewitt, Nalbandian heck even Jams Blake would rather use other weapons. Roddick may be the only player at the top of the rankings who is dependant on his serve to win.

On the womens side power and shorter points has been the trend with Sharapova and the Williams sisters, Henin has also changed her game to shorten points.

Not that either is better than the other it's just different

Part of the reason that Nadal's serve is so weak is that he is not naturally left handed. They discussed this at length during the French, I believe. Makes his ability that much more remarkable. That being said, Tsonga destroyed him the other night, and Nadal actually played pretty well. One of the most dominant performances I have ever seen. Should be a good final, unless Tsonga has run out of steam. The men's game has actually been pretty exciting of late. I have thought for awhile that Djokovic seemed more likely than Nadal to challenge Federer, should make for a fun year. To dismiss the men's game is popular, but silly. As far as the women go, should be a great final for tennis fans and casual observers alike.

Not to Highjack the thread or anything - but I was just curious how many guys or girls here at brewerfan are big tennis players? I know a bunch of you have said you enjoy watching in this thread, but how many people play - and play on a regular basis. I was slightly surprised when I came on and noticed a tennis thread -and I guess curiosity got the best of me. Who all plays tennis - and what kind of skill level do we have here? I'm always looking for decent players to hit with - so maybe this will be a way to find some new people.

I guess I'll add my two-cents about what the thread is actually about also. I seem to be in the minority, but I still prefer the mens game to the womens. It could be that I just like the pace. I don't mind the serve-heavy mens game because it forces players to show off their returning skills. When I watch players not only getting their racquet on the ball - but placing it deep and accuratly in the court, it amazes me. Sure, some of the points end quick and boring - but the rallies that do happen just amaze me that much more.

I was really pulling for Blake this Open, but he ran into Federer. He played three nice sets agianst him - but nice sets don't usually do you any good. I can't see how some of you can say the guys game has lost some of its luster recently - especially during this open when it is one of the more exciting tournys I've watched in a while. I've been staying up every night watching matches - then again I do that every time tennis is on.

Really good Mens Doubles final that was just on. The Isralis, Erlich and Ram took it in 2.

Hopefully Tsonga can keep it up for the mens final - if he stays on his hot sreak it should be a good match. If he doesn't - could be a little lackluster for a final. But I'm excited.

Archived