Brewer Fanatic

Mench?

vannzee
Ive put some thought in to this and why doesnt someone trade for Mench and platoon him so he only hits against righties for the most part? Theres got to be some outfield out there like Mench who is as good as he is against righties but with lefties. Also, the team could for sure get some young bullpen help for Gywnn Jr. it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...
the yankees have a history of signing veterans to nice dollar wise minor league contracts, and then bringing them up if/when they need them. Each year there is always 1-2 familier names on their AAA roster. This move would not surprise me.

he could work out for the yankees. though looking at the yankees roster it seems odd to me that they haven't signed a 1B. I assume that they aren't going to stick Giambi there. I guess they just seem set to use Betemit there.

The Kansas City Star reports that the Royals are interested in signing Kevin Mench.

This would be a better fit for Mench, as he might get a chance to play some OF for the Royals. Yankees already have enougth OFers, but offer a chance to play for a World Series.

This would be a better fit for Mench, as he might get a chance to play some OF for the Royals. Yankees already have enougth OFers, but offer a chance to play for a World Series.

As I mentioned earlier, with Damon, Matsui & Abreu all being LH hitters, Mench would have plenty of AB in NYY - and the chance to play for a WS.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote

As I mentioned earlier, with Damon, Matsui & Abreu all being LH hitters, Mench would have plenty of AB in NYY - and the chance to play for a WS.

Is Damon still their CF?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

the yankees also signed Ensberg and said he would be given a chance to play at first base. they did not say start at first, but he'd be in the mix.

I guess I just looked at their 40 man roster which explains why I didn't see Ensberg on it. Has he ever really played 1B? I looked up his stats, and noticed that he has only 1 game I believe at 1B, but did he play in college, the minors, ST ever? Not that a transition from 3B to 1B is that difficult.

Is Damon still their CF?

Nope, but my point is that three of their main 4 guys are LH batters... hence the usefulness of Mench.

He would get some at bats but not a lot. Abreau, Matsui, and Damon are every day players. These guys are not like Jenkins who contantly struggled against left handed pitching, they are proven commodities.

Abreu v. LHP

2007: .262/.329/.349/.678

'05-'07: .277/.363/.400/.763

Damon v. LHP

2007: .281/.353/.353/.706

'05-'07: .305/.376/.424/.800

Matsui v. LHP

2007: .272/.363/.451/.814

'05-'07: .308/.370/.498/.868

Mench v. LHP

2007: .314/.343/.558/.901

'05-'07: .305/.361/.558/.919

By no means do you add Mench to straight-up platoon with any one of those guys, but he's better against LHP than any of them. Guys need days off, and occasionally a PH. Each one of those guys put up numbers in 2007 v. LHP that's well below their 3-yr. splits... and they're all over 33, so it's reasonable to think that none of them will ever get back to those 3-yr. levels. There'd be plenty of ABs for Mench if he were to sign with NYY - 452 AB v. LHP in 2007 for this spotlighted trio. I guarantee you Mench could easily see 200+ AB v. LHP there, and that's obviously more than the 156 he had as a Brewer in 2007.

TooLiveBrew,

Dont forget that all those guys are far superior than Mench when it comes to playing the OF. Matsui plays everyday when he is healthy and same can be said about Abreau. If he got more than one start a week I with the Yankees I would be amazed.

Damon covers more ground & is likely still the better glove man, but his arm is horrific. As for Matsui & Abreu, they were both once much better defenders, but now - especially Abreu - age has caught up to them. Neither one is a large amount better than Mench on D, just mho. I've watched enough Yankees games in the past 2-3 seasons to feel comfortable in what I'm saying. I can agree with you that the Yankees OF is crowded, but Mench is strong enough against LHP to warrant at least the PT he got in Milwaukee. Melky Cabrera doesn't exactly mash LHP, either. However, with Duncan in the fold, it's probably a safer bet that Kevin's not heading to NYC.

The Yankees also have the DH in the AL. I am not sure who their DH is or who their bench guys are. None of those LHP splits look like they are bad enough to warant much playing time. Prince Fielder has .261/.355/.834 last year and .256/.339/.828 BA/OBP/OPS vs LHP. I don't think we would want Mench in instead of Fielder.

I blame Wang.

The Fielder example I can't disagree with... but if you're talking Mench--Abreu / Mench--Damon v. LHP, there's just no contest imho.

Fwiw, Giambi will likely get the bulk of the DH time in 2008. Another guy that's much better against RHP than LHP... just sayin'!

I guess what I am getting at is that if he would join the Yankees I think his best chance at at bats would be as a DH. Maybe some of Abreu's at bats. I don't know for sure, but suspect that if you looked at many starter's splits you would see many of them weak against same handed pitching. I would take a .800 OPS for most positions as the weak end of a split. They all had a bad year last year, but the 3 year averages look pretty good for Damon and Cabrera. If, like you said, Giambi is the DH and he is weak against LHP, then he might some of those at bats.

I blame Wang.

Archived