Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Free Agents -- It's Scavenger Hunt Time

Mass Haas

Wes Wilkerson, RHP: Posted a 4.46 ERA and a 1.94 GO/FO ratio in the PCL. His power arm and heavy sinker drew some rave reviews in the AFL a few years ago, I believe from DHonks in particular.

correct Colby. I'll look at the list tomorrow. But Wes is a great guy who throws hard. He's been pitching now for I believe 3 years, maybe 4. Teams knew they had to score in the first 6 innings with the 7th-9th split between Wes and some kid named Huston

Tim Redding

Scott Rice (Fall Leaguer)

Stephen Randolph

Josh Wilson (Fall Leaguer, AAA SS fodder)

Chris George

Alan Zinter

Carlos Hernandez

Mike Gallo

Ken Harvey (AAA 1b)

Brian Bass (Fall Leaguer...good stuff, just injured a lot)

Kelly Wunsch

Dan Giese (Fall Leaguer, great guy, decent stuff)

Josh Kroeger

Scott Strickland (always had great arm)

Matt LeCroy

some make more sense than others.

My limited familiarity with Eric Munson says the only reason the Brewers should look at him is as an experienced C at Nashville to help young pitchers -- if he has any positive defensive reputation at all. The guy is no LH-hitting Mike Rivera because he's a Moeller-caliber major league hitter. If that's a priority, Chad Moeller is also available and we know he already knows the pitching staff.

Anyone want Durrington back?

But to get serious now, what about C Sandy Madera from Baltimore. He will be 26 next season, and has some power and hits for average. He hasn't ever been a big prospect, as he's bounced around the minors with the Yankees and A's and Rockies, only getting 1200AB in 8 years, but maybe he could help our Catching problem. Here is a link to his stats.

thebaseballcube.com/playe...dera.shtml

Possibly Mike Kinkade, some of you might remember him from the '90's, when he was in the brewers system. Old, but he might be able to help, he is still good, maybe 4A or better

This might be the best option yet Jailen Peguero of the Astros. Really good numbers, and will be 26 for the '07 season. He has done real good at all levels of the minors, just take a look at his stats

thebaseballcube.com/playe...uero.shtml

Maybe Ty Meadows of the Dodgers, here are his stats

thebaseballcube.com/playe...dows.shtml

IIRC, Brazelton was a former top pick (one of the first three taken in that draft), as was Eric Munson. There's lots of names out there. I second the nominations of JR House, Bubba Crosby, and Restovich. The Brewers have nothing in the system outside of A-ball for catchers, so as many House/Closser/Munson's they can sign the better. Ken Harvey would be a nice replacement for Koonce at 1B. Wunsch & VDLS would provide LH bullpen insurance.

Archived