Brewer Fanatic

Young bullpen help?

vannzee

Here are some guys I think would be good young bullpen help for us. Some are older and some have been in the Majors before but they all need more time in the minors and would come cheap. They all would be better fits late this year or 09.

Kelvin Pichardo, Giants, AA- Not a highly rated prospect but will likely be in AAA this with majors in 09.

Tracy Thorpe, Blue Jays, AA- Big guy, who can bring it and close. Blue Jays believe he could middle relieve now. Hes added a killer change. He is 27 though.

Paul Phillips, Blue Jays, AA-Hes struggled at AA but hes a top 30 prospect and should be at AA this year and AAA last year.

Derek Feldkamp, Rays, AA- Hes been hit hard in a hitters league in AA and high A but beyond that hes been very good and would likely be in Durhams pen next year or late this year.

Ryan Houston, Astros, AAA-Very successful closer in Syracuse for Jays last year and was claimed off waivers by the Astros. He will be in AAA this year again and is a bit older.

Ryan Newman, Rockies, AAA/MLB-Dont know to much about him but he seems good. Good year at AAA last year.

and Clay Rapada/Chris Lambert, Tigers, MLB/AAA-Raspada has been to the bigs but wont be ready until 2009 to really help. Lambert is a failed former number 1 pick of the cards.

Again when I came up with these names I looked for guys who would come cheap.

Looking ahead to 09, I'd be all over Juan Cruz who will be a FA.

He's got closer stuff, but because he hasn't closed before, he should come at a reasonable price.

I absolutely agree. Assuming he has another season like last year, I'm guessing that he'll still be a 6 million dollar a year pitcher, but if we could get him for 4 years 24 million with an option for a 5th year for 10 million and a 2 million dollar buyout bringing the total to 4/26, I think he'd be worth it.

With Gange(10), Turnbow(3.2), Mota(3.2), Shouse(2.0), Vargas(3) all coming off the books next year, you'd certainly think that we'd be able to afford it. That's ~22 million dollars. Add in Torres who's set to make a little over 3 as well, and who I believe is going to make the Brewers pick up his option with his play, and I think we could again revamp our BP next year, yet this time stabilizing it a little more for the long hall. Riske, Cruz, Torres, Luis Pena, Stetter.

LOL...then again, maybe it's a LITTLE too soon to be thinking about NEXT years pen!

how about we develop our relievers ourselves? If we give up one of our starters, the return will depend on what team actually wants one of our guys; it's possible we would get a minor league reliever (plus something else) in return. there are a few of our own guys that could possibly contribute next year, if there is an opening.

Again, looking to guys who are much more knowledgeable on prospect projections and pace of coming up through the system, but it seems guys with closer stuff can rise much faster because you're not asking them to develop four pitches, stamina, etc. To that end, what do you think about Jeffress' ability to get to Milwaukee quickly? Conversely, I guess he's been compared to Dwight Gooden, so maybe you ride him as long as possible to see if he can become that #1 starter first. Just wanted to toss it out for opinions (since I really have cabin fever and want spring training to start tomorrow!).

Archived