Brewer Fanatic

Anyone headed to Spring Training? Spring Training Lodging? (Designated Spring Training travel thread)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm heading down to Phoenix for a week on March 16. This will be my second year at spring training. My family rented a condo in Mesa. Yes, it's Cubs territory, but there's easy freeway access and lots of conveniences close by. For those of you that want to start doing this yearly, I'd recommend the condo option. Ours is a 2-bedroom w/ a pool and grill for about $600/week. You can cook some of your own meals to save money and you have all the conveniences of home. I didn't get clued in to morning practices before "away" games until late in the week last year, so I'm looking forward to lots of those this year. Easy access to the players - you can hang out right behind home plate. Check out the ticket availability for weekend games in advance - the March 22 game vs the Giants is already down to lawn seats only, and tickets are going online for $30 - $100!

I believe the bag restrictions are similar to those at Miller Park. They have searchers at the gates like at MP.

In general, I wouldn't try to bring in a bag/pack that would get you turned away at MP.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

2 weeks until I'm in Phoenix! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif You can generally bring bags into Maryvale, but they need to be small. Restrictions are on their website. Each park is different though...Electric Park in Tucson wouldn't let us bring in sealed soda last year.

My flight leaves Milwaukee tomorrow morning at 7:30. If you're there this weekend, look for the guy in the "I [beer] Milwaukee" shirt, Brewerfan.net softball shirt, Clemson shirt, or "Wiffle Ball Legend" shirt. Possibly sporting a Valpo cap. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Anyone have suggestions for a good day trip? I was thinking about trying to buzz up to the Grand Canyon or something but I haven't really looked to see how far away that is. I'll be with my father who badly needs to have an ankle replaced so we can't do any strenuous activities. Is there anything else we should check out in the Phoenix area while we're in town? We've been to spring training 6-7 times now and are just realizing that we haven't explored much of Arizona besides the ball parks yet.

well, Grand Canyon is a good 3+ hour drive from Phoenix, depending on traffic.

Sedona is good (2 hours) and Meteor Crater is kind of neat (2+ hours). Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park is okay, too (3+ hours).

Tucson (about 2 hours) is nice. Good hiking. Sonora Desert Museum and Tucson Studios are pretty neat.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

What an excellent experience! Went to Peoria to see the Huntsville Stars (and Corey Hart) blast the Mariners. Tomorrow Tempe (Angels), Thursday Surprise (Royals), then finally Maryvale (Pads) on Friday. Then back to Milwaukee... and work http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif Got some phenomial pics if anyone's interested. burkero - at - gmail

Archived