Brewer Fanatic

How do we define a player developed by the organization?

RyDogg66

I remember reading a few years ago that the Brewers were just about last outside of recent expansion teams when it came to developing current major league players. Obviously with the emergence of guys like Weeks, Fielder, etc we have climbed the list, but how do we define "development?"

Is it only drafted? Drafted and taken to the bigs? Can you trade for a AAA guy? AA?

Out of these players, who have we developed?

Zach Jackson

Carlos Villanueva

Jose Capellan

Jorge De la Rosa

Who developed Boof Bonsor and Francisco Liriano, SF or Minn?

Who developed Boof Bonsor and Francisco Liriano, SF or Minn?

Both, in my opinion.

I think a better term is "drafted and developed", because lots of guys are traded. Part of the credit goes to the team who scouted and drafted/signed him, and the rest goes to the team who he was with through the rest of the minors.

I think you have a better case claiming to have developed a guy who you acquired when he was in the low minors than a guy who you traded for when he was already in AAA.

Usually I'd consider an AAA player thats traded for not developed. AA players, it depends if they are going to go to AAA or the major league club right away. So of your list, Villeneuava and Jackson (if he makes it) would be Brewer products.

Archived