Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else have a zune?

zurch1818

First let me start out saying that I am a proud owner of a 2nd gen 8 gig zune. No complaints at all. The zune pad is nice -- it works by touch or by pressing on the edge of the pad up down left or right based upon where you want to go. Pressing the center does the exact same thing as ipod click wheel. Which for some reason I am not a fan of the ipod click wheel. I do not like to make circles to select songs. But I am a minority here which I am ok with. The ipod is a nice mp3 player, but I am not going to jump on that bandwagon. I don't want this thread to turn into an ipod praising thread -- there are enough of them here already I want to have a zune thread because I have yet to see one.

Also, the operation of the two mp3 players is also not the only reason why I am starting this thread either -- it is the social feature that the zune possesses (didn't realize there were 5 s). It is a handy feature that allows songs and pictures to be directly transferred between zunes without the use of wifi or any other internet connection. Songs can get played three times before they are automatically deleted by the zune and pictures can be transfered from the zune to the computer. Also, if a computer has a wireless connection (mine does not), it can sync music wirelessly. The problem with this social feature is the only other person I know with a zune is my brother -- this makes it hard to transfer files. I am a student at UW and in my lectures I have looked many times to see if there were any other zunes in the room. There hasn't been any yet to this day. Does anyone here have one?

I had a Zune 80GB. Crashed 4 times in a week, so I returned it. Good job, Microsoft.

I loved it when it worked though. I'm considering trying it again, chalking it up to a faulty unit, but I had software problems as well. We'll see.

I've got one as well. Very happy with the purchase so far. Used to have a Creative Zen and Napster but it was ridiculously hard to sync my songs to the device.

I subscribe to the Zune music store, so for $15/mo I get unlimited downloads. Hopefully they keep working on adding to their collection...a couple months ago the entire Led Zeppelin catalog was made available, and I see that Radiohead is now on there as well (only for MP3 purchase at the moment, unfortunately, but it's a start). Pretty much every major artist is there, though. If there is ever an artist that I can't find (Tool, Sinatra, etc.) I use "alternative methods" to get the songs I need.

I figure I would probably buy a CD every month for $15 anyway. This allows me to carry around over 5000 songs (and growing!) and it would be inconceivable for me to build a collection like that with iTunes.

Songs can get played three times before they are automatically deleted by the zune
Is this an optional feature?

These are songs that were synced with a zune to zune connection. When it is synced with a computer the song can be played an infinate amount of times. It is not an optional feature. I know all second generation zunes have this feature and am pretty sure the first gen has it too.

On a side note, people have changed the extension of music files to a picture file extension (jpg) to transfer songs from the zune to the computer because pictures can be transferred to the computer but songs can not. After the file is on the computer, people change the extension back to mp3.

Archived