Brewer Fanatic

3rd base and Catcher are Organizational Weaknesses?

DrWood

this was tucked into one of McCalvy's mailbags: "Assistant GM Gord Ash last week identified third base and catcher as the main positions of weakness in the Brewers' development chain. "

3rd: Heether (organizational soldier, prolly), Gamel, Green, Wheeler, etc. Doesn't look that bad to me, unless you are convinced Gamel isn't a 3B.

Catcher: Palmisano, Salome, Lucroy, Bouchie, etc. Not exactly a strength, but doesn't look too bad, either.

Edit: Fixed Link

You really can't consider players who have only toiled in rookie ball (Lucroy, Wheeler, etc.) when assessing overall strength / weakness at a position. Simply too much can happen in the meantime.

Once again, we've been spoiled by the likes of Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Hart -- Ash is most likely referring to players who have been identified as those who will be able to assume a starting role in the majors someday, or can be major bench contributors. When viewed in those terms, those two positions can only be defined as huge question marks, with various issues or warts surrounding each of the players you cite.

I do think that quote is pretty telling when it comes to Gamel. If Gamel's defense wasn't in question, I don't think anyone would consider third base to be an organizational weakness. Heether is more of a utility type at best (probably) and as Mass noted everyone else is 3-5 years away.

Catcher is a weakness because who out of that group do you feel particularly comfortable with? I know Salome rated as the 5th best prospect in the Brewers system, but even then I don't get the sense that people are convinced he's the Brewers long-term answer behind the plate. Lucroy has a lot to prove, and Palmisano will need to step up significantly this season if he's considered more than a future backup.

I don't think the Brewers have to worry about third base as much since Bill Hall could hold down the position for the next three years of his current contract. Catcher likely will be a year-to-year revolving door process.

I personally think CF is an organizational weakness. The team is loaded at the corner OF positions, but after Cameron guys like Gwynn, Ford and Brantley, along with the guys way down at the lower levels, don't exactly make me feel comfortable with the position when looking ahead a year or two.

That's definitely an interesting quote, and don't be surprised to see that translate to who they pick with some of their early picks in the draft this June.

Are there any college 3B who field well, and hit at least (projected to MLB) moderately well? I could see a high-ish pick being used on someone to take the reins from Hall after 2010/11. Someone like Zimmerman but perhaps not quite as highly rated?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

2008 isn't a great year for third basemen, at least not after Pedro Alvarez the #1 rated prospect for the 2008 draft. James Darnell of South Carolina is likely going to make some noise this spring, but he has some questions about his defense surrounding him and may be a better long-term fit in RF (Alvarez too has some questions about his D', although I don't think there's any reason for him to move off the position any time soon).

Some of the best combos of hitting with fielding at the hot corner at the college level that could be candidates around the sandwich/second round include Jermaine Curtis of UCLA and Logan Forsythe of Arkansas, who are both more like Jeff Cirillo in that they handle the bat well and have some versatility to them but neither one is likely to hit for what is viewed as prototypical power for the hot corner.

There are some other guys that could move to 3B, such as Gordon Beckham, a SS for Georgia, and David Adams, currently a 2B at Virginia, that project to hit for more power. Darnell is one of the better power hitters available in the draft, although as noted, I'm not sure if he sticks at 3B long-term.

However, this conversation is probably best suited for the draft forum.

Some of the best combos of hitting with fielding at the hot corner at the college level that could be candidates around the sandwich/second round...

Thanks, and coincidentally enough, that's where I felt the Crew might be able to find the type of player I had in mind.

There are some other guys that could move to 3B, such as Gordon Beckham, a SS for Georgia, and David Adams, currently a 2B at Virginia, that project to hit for more power

The org. clearly has not had any aversion to moving players to new positions, so those are both interesting.

However, this conversation is probably best suited for the draft forum.

Very true - I honestly sometimes get the two jumbled together in my head as the discussions carry on.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I personally think CF is an organizational weakness. The team is loaded at the corner OF positions, but after Cameron guys like Gwynn, Ford and Brantley, along with the guys way down at the lower levels, don't exactly make me feel comfortable with the position when looking ahead a year or two.

well, they certainly have plenty of bodies they can throw at CF: Stocker, Kapler, Cain, Gindl, Gross, Haydel, Fermaint, Gwynn, Ford, Moss, Brantley, Chapman. Ya gotta think one of those darts will stick.

Archived