Brewer Fanatic

Best/worst cities to be a fan

NeedMoreFans

I thought of this topic when the Giants and Pats won on Sunday...what fans are the most fortunate or unfortunate because of their teams' success? I'll put up a couple criteria...

A city must have at least two professional franchises
College teams may also be considered, as long as the area has 2 professional franchises as well

Here are my top 5 for most fortunate fans...

1. Boston. I never want to hear anyone from Boston complain about anything anymore. I don't care if the Bruins are bad, your other three teams more than make up for it.

2. New York. They've had a championship drought and the Knicks and Rangers are pretty bad, but a Super Bowl appearance and countless consecutive playoff appearances by their baseball teams make up for that as well.

3. Los Angeles. Angels are pretty good, Dodgers compete every year and make the playoffs quite a bit, Lakers had a good run a few years back, USC is a perrenial powerhouse in football.

4. Detroit. Despite the Lions, fans in Detroit have had it good for a while. The Red Wings are always amongst the best in hockey, the Tigers made it to the World Series, the Pistons are good year in and year out and have won a couple championships along the way. Then there is Michigan football and hockey...always pretty good.

5. This was a tough one, but I'm going with recent success and saying Cleveland. The Browns very easily could have been a playoff team and were really fun to watch, the Indians could have (and probably should have) made it to the World Series last year, and the Cavs made it to the NBA finals. People in Cleveland also have Ohio State down the road a ways.

Least fortunate (a tough list to compile)

1. Seattle. Despite the Seahawks making the Super Bowl a couple seasons ago, this city had had nothing but bad luck when it comes to sports. The Mariners choked a few years back when they won 116 or so games and never were able to get over the threshold. Fans have seen Griffey, ARod, Randy Johnson amongst others be traded away, and have blown bad money on Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson. They've been pretty bad since 2001. The Sonics haven't been the same since Shawn Kemp got fat, and have since given away Ray Allen. Washington football, once a Pac 10 powerhouse, is just a shell of its former self. Their basketball team had a couple good years, but luck seems to have run out on them this year as well.

2. Washington, DC. When was the last time a team from DC made any kind of noise at all? The Redskins spend tons of money to make the playoffs every couple of years, and had the unfortunate tragedy happen to them this year. The Nationals are fairly new, but they haven't made any kind of noise in baseball, except when they had Soriano for a year. The Wizards are finally respectable, at least they were this year (I don't follow NBA, so I don't know how they are doing this year). The Capitals? No clue, but have they ever won?

3. Kansas City. Royals and Chiefs. Need I say more

4. Cincinnati. The Bengals have a bunch of jailbirds on their team and can not win. The Reds...lose games 9-8...all pop, no pitching. The University of Cincinnati as been horrible after Huggins left.

5. I'm going to say Buffalo. The Bills haven't been good in a while, and I don't know about the Sabers...though they were good and could never win.

I'd have to think Buffalo is number one on the worst cities list. I can't imagine losing what losing 4 Super Bowls in a row would do to a fan. Also they're a pretty big hockey-town, and they were on the wrong end of one of the worst mistakes by a ref in sports history in the 1999 Stanley Cup.

Also, Cleveland should not be on the best cities list. The Browns have made the playoffs once since they were back in Cleveland, the Indians haven't won a World Series since 1948, and the Cavs have never won an NBA Championship.

How about Milwaukee for one of the worst five? For major sports there hasn't been a championship since 1971 (Bucks). Last college champ was Marquette 30 years ago. Maybe not quite bottom 5, but certainly down there.

I couldn't personally put Cleveland on the Best list because they're probably still stinging a little from that midnight move to Baltimore.

Chicago for the worst list? The Cubs have had some stinging playoff losses, the Bulls haven't been watchable since Jordan left, and the Blackhawks are the biggest jokes in professional sports. oh wait, the White Sox. nevermind.

Philadelphia?

How about any city in florida for worst?

Miami has dolphins, heat, panthers, hurricanes and marlins. All stink!

Tampa had Rays, Bucs. Bucs have 1 superbowl and many years of embarrasment

Those would all stink to be fans in those cities.

Does anyone remember that article ranking cities and how viable they are for their franchises? I think it was in forbes or something. I can't find it but would like to read it again.

Those would all stink to be fans in those cities.

Does anyone remember that article ranking cities and how viable they are for their franchises? I think it was in forbes or something. I can't find it but would like to read it again.

are we talking about this very minute? because the Heat just won a championship, and the marlins have won 2 world series pretty recently. The Bucs aren't that far removed from a super bowl title either.

I didn't include Miami largely because of recent success. The Heat won the NBA championship a couple years ago and the Marlins do have 2 World Series in 10 years, though they have given away their team after each of them. Yeah, they all are bad now, though.

The Lightning did win a Stanley Cup a few years ago, and the Bucs have been mostly respectable since they got new uniforms (mid-90's)

Yeah, Philly should be on that list. Their teams have been close, but not quite. The Flyers in the mid-late 90's, Eagles in the early 2000's, Sixers in the mid 90's and the Phillies...1993.

When mentioning Seattle, you forgot to mention they're on the verge of losing the Sonics as well. They get my vote since the Sonics are their first and brightest love.

Chicago doesn't deserve to be on the list of the worst. Perhaps number 6 or 7 on the best. For all intensive purposes they're still hungover from the Jordan years and the Bulls were up and coming until this year. The White Sox won it all and the Cubs have been in the plays offs several times since 2000. While the Bears went to the Superbowl just two or three years ago.

Milwaukee could be number 6 or 7 on the worst, but the Brewers are on the up swing and Bucks had a pretty good stretch which only end a few years back. Not to mention Marquette and even UWM have made strides in the tourney in recent years. And that's discounting the unofficial Milwaukee teams from Madison and Green Bay.

Interesting list. I would say, five years ago, Milwaukee probably would be a lock to be on the list. However, with the Brewers getting more respectable and being viewed as a contender, and the recent college basketball success, the city is probably safe from being really considered.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

anyone considered New Orleans? during a pretty horrible time for everyone, they lose all pro sports for a year, the Saints hit a small playoff run but have been generally miserable. and Chris Paul is pretty awesome, but they're still four starters short on the basketball team.

although you wonder if you might have to give a little more consideration to cities that have more major sports teams in the area. I mean yeah, the White Sox had their WS, but considering the number of teams in the area, that city has been pretty bad.

I certainly won't do the work, but i wonder if you could look at it mathematically, say over a 15-year span of time (roughly one generation sports-wise): (Number of Pro Teams x Number of Years out of Playoffs) / 0.15= Misery Percentage

They get my vote since the Sonics are their first and brightest love.

UW is FAR more beloved, historically, currently and in future regards.

Don James is a god around here.

When the Volleyball team one the title 2 years back the town went nuts.

Heck Seattle U. is higher regarded than the Sonics. Elgin Baylor, man!

The Mariners choked a few years back when they won 116

i would be delirious if the Brewers "choked" in such a fashion. and there were a few outside events in the fall of 2001 that may have added to the Yankees desire to win.

Except for a few down years here and there, the Hurricanes have been a perinnial college football power for the past ~20 years.

and Chris Paul is pretty awesome, but they're still four starters short on the basketball team.

Well in that case Chris Paul = greatest basketball player of all time, since he's led the Hornets to the 3rd best record in the NBA all by himself.

I guess Minneapolis wouldn't be the greatest. Vikings have never won a Super Bowl, T'Wolves traded a HOFer and now have the worst record in the NBA. Gophers are never really good at football or basketball, although Tubby Smith is turning them around. Then again the Twins have several AL Central championships the last few years, and their hockey is pretty good both college and pro, so maybe not necessarily bottom 5, but not close to the top, either.

and Chris Paul is pretty awesome, but they're still four starters short on the basketball team.

Well in that case Chris Paul = greatest basketball player of all time, since he's led the Hornets to the 3rd best record in the NBA all by himself.

oops. i guess my knowledge of the NBA is clearly evident there.

2. Washington, DC. When was the last time a team from DC made any kind of noise at all? The Redskins spend tons of money to make the playoffs every couple of years, and had the unfortunate tragedy happen to them this year. The Nationals are fairly new, but they haven't made any kind of noise in baseball, except when they had Soriano for a year. The Wizards are finally respectable, at least they were this year (I don't follow NBA, so I don't know how they are doing this year). The Capitals? No clue, but have they ever won?

You also need to remember that a large number of people in the DC area are Orioles fans. Ouch.

Minneapolis/St. Paul has to be a pretty bad place to be a fan. The Vikings have been down the last couple of years and have never won a Championship; the Timberwolves have been consistently average; the Twins have made the playoffs a few times but seem to have hit a small-market ceiling that they've never been able to break through. Finally, the Gophers recent history has been none to kind.

Interesting list. I would say, five years ago, Milwaukee probably would be a lock to be on the list. However, with the Brewers getting more respectable and being viewed as a contender, and the recent college basketball success, the city is probably safe from being really considered.

I'm not so sure. Until the Brewers make the postseason (as I'm knocking on wood), we have the Brewers (26 year playoff drought), the Bucks (beyond repair), and the UW-Milwaukee Panthers (a very average team in a very bad conference). I wouldn't go so far as to say we're safe -- I think we're just lucky that there are more than five cities that have it worse than we do.

whats sad is if you asked the average fan outside of WI this question, they would probably think that Green Bay is considered part of Milwaukee.

Id hate to be a fan of a team living in North or South Dakota, or anywhere that doesn't have a pro sports team. Those people have it bad

whats sad is if you asked the average fan outside of WI this question, they would probably think that Green Bay is considered part of Milwaukee.

Id hate to be a fan of a team living in North or South Dakota, or anywhere that doesn't have a pro sports team. Those people have it bad

Well you can always cheer for the winner. They still have the Fighting Sioux hockey team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As bad as it would be to make it to four consecutive Superbowls and lose them all, I have to believe that what Eagles fans went through from '02-'06 was even worse. Not only did they lose 3 consecutive NFC Championship games, but when they finally got over the hump they lost the Super Bowl.

Archived