Brewer Fanatic

IPod/ITunes question

Roscoe Chill

I got an IPOD Nano for Christmas from my girlfriend. I'm behind the times, I needed one, and I love it, however it's only 8GB. I really needed one with more memory (hopefully I don't sound like an ungrateful prick) I am not even half way through my CD collection and I have used up all the space on it.

My question is, can I load all of my music on to ITunes, and then load different stuff at different times on to the IPOD itself at different times, kind of like a shuffle of sorts? And if it is possible, is it a pain to do so? Can I just go down the list and pick stuff until the 8GB is reached?

I mean right now I synch ITunes to my IPOD and it all goes on there, but what happens when there is too much stuff on ITunes when you synch the IPOD?

There is a setting in preferences or in the ipod settings to "only sync check-marked music" make sure that is marked and then use the check marks next to the songs to put the ones on there that you want

Or you could create a playlist of only the songs you want and only sync that playlist to the nano

If there are too many songs on iTunes it'll just fill your iPod as full as it can. That's if you have it set to automatically sync. You can change the settings to do it other ways, like manual, where you drag and drop each song. Or so that it only grabs the songs from a certain playlist. Your best bet I think as far as loading different stuff at different times is to make up a bunch of different playlists.

as long as we're on the topic, just today my iPod stopped registering in my USB port. it was working fine this morning. it just won't turn on.

tried it at work and nothing.

tried it in the rear USB ports and nothing.

so it's not the port or iTunes or anything. i just ran a virus scan and that didn't matter, either. so it's the iPod itself. any suggestions? if I've got to pay $50 to have Best Buy fix it it'd probably make more sense to just buy another one.

to the original post just so i don't completely bogart this thread, I've done that before, just create a ton of playlists and sync specific ones that fit with what I want to do (work vs. gym vs. hiking, etc.).

I have a 30gB iPod and it's amazing how many songs I skip as I'm listening on shuffle. I'd suggest creating a "greatest hits" playlist and sticking all your absolute favorites in there. You should get a good 2000 of those without all the album filler that is taking up much of your space.

Or you could create different playlists for different genres and completely reload the iPod every time you feel like a change, with a new style.

tried it at work and nothing.

tried it in the rear USB ports and nothing.

That happened to me once and it turned out that the cord had gone bad. Find somebody with a cord or if you're in the Mke area go to the Apple Store and have them plug it in. They actually gave me a new cord and I didn't have a receipt or anything.

funny, i was just just starting to wonder if that could be a problem. still, a cord going bad is sure an odd problem. don't know if there's an apple store around by me, but at the very least a $10 cable would sure be easier on me than a new iPod. thanks a ton for the advice, i'll try it tomorrow and hopefully you're right. funny, a good friend of mine swears by the refurbished iPods, but my refurb one has just been a problem. amazing all of you guys who can fill up a huge iPod. i have a 4 Gig and still haven't maxed out on space yet. i'm kinda particular about which songs go in it, though, so i don't have to spend all my time hitting "next".

Edit: i'll still try your suggestion, but my iPod had just been recharged, so shouldn't it at least turn on, even if the cable isn't any good?

Edit: i'll still try your suggestion, but my iPod had just been recharged, so shouldn't it at least turn on, even if the cable isn't any good?
Yeah, I guess I missed that part. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to turn it on. That's odd.

all of you guys who can fill up a huge iPod.
I've got a new 80GB full of songs and I'm going to be putting about 10GB of songs on my old 40GB player within the next few days.

There is a setting in preferences or in the ipod settings to "only sync check-marked music" make sure that is marked and then use the check marks next to the songs to put the ones on there that you want

I wouldn't do this because then iTunes skips all of the unchecked songs when you are trying to play them on your computer as well. Of course, if you don't have your computer hooked up to your sound system, that probably won't be relevant.

I would go with the playlist idea that stoops and others mentioned. Just make a playlist with most of your favorites. It's not necessarily ideal because then you won't be able to hear unknown stuff (by which I mean, things you haven't listened to in years) while you listen but that's not that huge of a deal.

One last tip, whatever you do, put whole albums onto your iTunes. When I first got my iPod a few years ago I put only a couple songs from many of my albums on iTunes. It was a real pain to go back later and add all the songs I didn't add the first time.

It skips the songs on the computer too? I guess I haven't noticed, I actually use the playlist method on my 8gig iTouch

So the cord might go bad? That sounds like what is wrong with my older ipod that I want to sell, heading to apple store this weekend I guess

ok, just got back from Best Buy. ah, reset. had no idea that could be done.

Problem: the USB port wouldn't recognize the iPod, and the iPod just plain wouldn't turn on.

Solution: reset the stupid thing.

how to reset: hold down the center button and the menu button until an apple appears. release, you'll see another apple, and it'll turn back on.

so i checked out Best Buy for some iPod accessories i might want, since i no longer hated my iPod. then i saw the prices. i again hate the iPod.

yeah, i got a laugh out of it tonight, too--if I'd only seen your post before i left the house tonight. no problem, though, no doubt this thread will answer a question or two in the future for somebody.

so i checked out Best Buy for some iPod accessories i might want, since i no longer hated my iPod. then i saw the prices. i again hate the iPod.
yep, absurd. I paid 30 bucks for a case for my new one, which amounts to two pieces of rubber and a piece of plastic. a small price to pay though since dropping it on the ground unprotected could be disaster

ebay. get the generic stuff for a fraction of the cost.

i got a wall plug (or travel charger if you prefer the apple talk) for $5 ($0.01 plus $4.89 shipping) on ebay a couple weeks back.

Archived