Brewer Fanatic

Looking past 2008 (one-year deals)

NeedMoreFans
I was wondering...since the Brewers' top three free agent signings this off-season all signed one-year deals (with options on two of them), what is the long term plan for the team, especially regarding centerfield, catcher and closer? The team definitely attempted to address some short-term needs, but what are they going to do when these guys are a year or two older than they already are?

I can only really think of one of those positions truely shored up for the future. I have to believe Corey Hart will be our Centerfielder in 2009 if LaPorta is ready and Cameron is not brought back. A future outfield of Laporta , Hart and Braun looks very bright.

Catcher is a crapshoot. I think Doug really hopes Jason Kendall can bounce back so he can give us 2 years of service till Angel Salome or Jonathon Lucroy are ready. If Kendall fails the FA market next year could have Kenji Johjima on it which looks appealing but I have to believe he will fetch a rediculously high salary which most likely will be outa our budget.

Closer is anyones guess. Im hoping Gagne blows up and we get another 2 high draft picks for him. Maybe in this years draft we get a college closer who could make an immediate impact. Otherwise in house options for next year would include David Riske and if we pick up there options Salomon Torres and Derek Turnbow. If I had to make an early prediction it would be that Doug Melvin signs another high risk high reward closer next year if Gagne works out for us.

@WiscoSportsNut

I think they will go the short term veteran route for any position they don't have an established core memeber of the team until they find a suitable replacement in the minors for that spot. Free agency always has enough complimentary players to fill in the voids if the team already has a sound core of players. I could see the Brewers doing short term contracts like that for several years to come. Same contracts same type of players types just change the names on the back.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived