Brewer Fanatic

Your 2006 Brevard Manatees, Latest: Space Coast Repairs

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:

Class A Brevard County's Steve Sollmann was named the organization's player of the month and teammate Yovani Gallardo earned pitcher of the month honors. The Minor League winners were selected by the Brewers' baseball operations staff.

Sollmann batted .367 in April with five doubles, one home run, 12 RBIs, a .468 on-base percentage and three stolen bases. He was selected in the 10th round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft and signed by Mike Farrell.

Gallardo, 20, went 2-2 with a 1.69 ERA and allowed only 20 hits in 26 innings while striking out 38 batters. Gallardo was selected in the second round of the 2004 draft and signed by Jim Stevenson.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.floridatoday.com/apps...50320/1002

Bullpens offer comic relief

Bubble-gum chewing marathons one way to beat usual boredom

BY SCOTT BROWN

FLORIDA TODAY

"You're in my seat," Josh Alliston says.

The Brevard County Manatees pitcher plops down next to me anyway on the rectangular slab of metal that has no nametags or numbers on it.

He appears to be every bit the 6-foot-5, 256 pounds he is listed as on the Manatees roster, so I offer to give up my -- well, his -- seat on the bench. Alliston declines, though it is clear my presence in the bullpen tucked into the right-field corner of Space Coast Stadium has disrupted one of sports' most esoteric circles.

Washington Nationals manager Frank Robinson has been known to refer to relief pitchers as the "crazies in the bullpen," and to be sure they are different -- a fraternity within a fraternity.

Bound by a stressful, often thankless job, they also constantly try to stave off boredom in the confined areas where they are stuck for much of the game. Their efforts to entertain themselves in the spaces that are as spartan as they are small range from creative to the kind of thing that would make bullpens a great place to study human behavior.

A testament to that is a wad of chewing gum covering the top of a pole in the Manatees' bullpen.

Alliston recently tried to see how many pieces of Bazooka gum he could fit into his mouth. He made it to 22, which explains why his cheeks might have popped with the slightest poke and why the wad of gum is so big it looks like a catcher's mitt that has been flattened.

"It wasn't too fun," said Alliston, who leads the Manatees with five saves. "I was bored that day."

Pitchers such as Alliston are especially prone to boredom. Those who close games rarely pitch before the eighth inning, and usually not until the ninth.

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter used to hear stories from Lee Smith's teammates about the longtime closer (and Major League Baseball's all-time saves leader) sleeping through the first seven innings of a game in the clubhouse.

That would be the exception. Most closers have the unique challenge of trying to stay in the game but not becoming too involved, because they have to save everything they have for the final inning.

"We have to keep our minds occupied because we're sitting down there for what seems like forever, and you can go nuts," said Washington Nationals right-hander Chad Cordero, who led the big leagues with 47 saves in 2005. "Whatever we can find to do, we'll do it."

Cordero and his bullpen mates proved as much last year.

They built a time capsule one day, Cordero said, and buried it at RFK Stadium in Washington. Hardly a future keepsake, it contains Starburst wrappers and a weathered baseball, among other things.

"It was old, wet," Cordero said of the baseball. "I think we found it underneath the stands or something. I think we're going to dig up (the capsule) this season."

Hey, whatever it takes to pass the time.

"It's amazing some of the stuff you can come up with out of the blue, not even thinking about it," said Ricky Bottalico, who saved 116 big-league games from 1995-2005. "One guy flicks a seed and now everybody's doing it. Anything to waste time."

Bottalico and others who have spent considerable time in bullpens say a game often emerges from something as simple as someone flicking a pumpkin or sunflower seed at an empty cup.

Before long, all of the relievers are trying to land a seed into the cup. If they are not flicking for accuracy, they can be found flicking for sheer distance.

"The funny thing, at some point in the competition, it will morph into trying to hit some guys in the head," Houston Astros closer Brad Lidge said. "Human targets are more fun."

The activity that occurs in bullpens is a big reason why relievers are often seen as, ahem, quirky.

"I wouldn't say 'not all there upstairs,' " Nationals pitcher Gary Majewski said of the mindset required by relief pitching, "but something has to be a little bit off to do that."

Indeed, relief pitchers are baseball's equivalent of firefighters, with a significant catch: They never can be sure whether they are arriving at a potential blaze with water or gasoline.

A curveball that hangs or a fastball that is timed just right by the batter can ignite a rally or add fuel to it. Since relief pitchers frequently enter close games with runners on base, they generally have little margin for error.

Two more details make this kind of pitching so difficult: Relievers are not on set schedules like starters, and most only are noticed by fans when they don't do their job.

"Down here there's no telling when you are going to pitch," Manatees reliever Bo Hall said, "what situation you are going to come into."

During last Wednesday's game against the Clearwater Threshers, Hall charted what pitches the opposing batters were hitting and where they were hitting them.

That would serve as a guide for any reliever who gets into the game, if any of them do.

Other than that job, which rotates every three innings, and playing catch with the Manatees right fielder before the top of every inning, there isn't a whole lot to do, especially early in the game.

The relievers said they were kind of boring, but I found out otherwise after they started opening up to an obvious but inquisitive outsider.

I learned the pitchers who sit on the lower of the two metal benches (Ben Stanczyk, Dave Johnson and Robert Hinton) most likely will have seeds whizzing past their ears at some point during a game, courtesy of Hall, Alliston or Jeremy Lewis.

I learned Lewis broke a fungo bat last year while trying to hit a ball into a retention pond near the home bullpen at Space Coast Stadium.

I learned Lewis' nickname is "Bad Santa" because he is not always the most patient person when kids repeatedly ask for baseballs and especially when someone doesn't say "thank you" after getting a ball. (For the record, Manatees relievers can only give away foul balls that stray into their bullpen; otherwise they might not have anything with which to warm up.)

I learned the Manatees relievers play their own version of "Name That Tune" with stadium music. I learned the last one to say "Not it!" after the final out of the eighth inning has to carry the bag of baseballs from the bullpen to the clubhouse after the game and then back the next day.

And that guy has it lucky.

Most major-league relievers require the guy with the least amount of big-league experience to lug a bag filled with refreshments to and from the bullpen. The bag is generally something embarrassing (think anything "Barbie"), and he has to walk across the field to the dugout so everybody can see him.

Majewski had that role with the Nationals for much of last year. He accepted it as one of the rites of baseball and especially relief pitching.

"I love it," Majewski said of his role. "I wouldn't trade it for the world."

It is a world all its own, that is for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Florida Today:

Another star for Brevard County

Brevard County Manatees outfielder Charlie Fermaint was added to the Florida State League All-Star Game, which will be played on Saturday, June 17 in Lakeland.

The addition of Fermaint gives the Manatees seven players named to the Eastern Division team -- more than any FSL team.

Fermaint is batting .298 this season and is fifth in the league in stolen bases with 19.

Other Manatees named to the team are: Yovani Gallardo, P; Josh Wahpepah, P; Ryan Braun, 3B; Hernan Iribarren, 2B; Steve Sollmann, IF; and Brendan Katin, OF.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Florida State League All-Star preview article:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=milb

Box score and game log links available via this link later on:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...mp;lid=123

The game can be viewed live for free (will be archived also), 6:30 PM Central start time:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../video.jsp

Live and archived audio of the game:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

With a 6-3 record, 1.97 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 73 innings, Brevard's Yovani Gallardo is staking his claim for FSL Pitcher of the Year. (Jerry Hale/MiLB.com)

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/06/15/LRdT5IPW.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Two articles within this post --

Link, text follows:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...p;c_id=mil

Touching base with Ryan Braun

By Emily A. Hanover / Special to MLB.com

With the fifth-overall pick in the 2005 Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers selected sweet-swinging Ryan Braun out of the University of Miami. After a solid debut season with the Class A West Virginia Power last summer, Braun has continued his hot hitting into his 2006 campaign with the Class A Brevard County Manatees.

MLB.com recently caught up with Braun, who was happy to speak about his game, his dreams of one day calling from the booth and the immense impact Yankees star Alex Rodriguez has had on the way Braun approaches the game on and off the field.

The Brewers drafted you roughly a year ago. Take us back to draft day. What was it like to hear your name called?

It was just an incredible feeling. It was kind of a culmination of everything I've worked for so far in my baseball career. It felt great to be rewarded for all my hard work up to that point. I was with my family, my teammates at the University of Miami, my coaches -- we were all watching the draft on the computer in my coach's office.

From a Hurricane to a Power in 2005, and now in your first full professional season, how has the transition been from college to pro ball?

It's definitely been different, you're playing every day. In college, you fly everywhere. In the Minor Leagues, there's a lot of long bus rides and you stay in cheap motels -- in college, you stay in pretty nice places. A lot more fast food! I think the biggest adjustment is getting used to playing every day, and adjusting to the travel schedule. Trying to eat well is difficult at times.

After 37 games for the Power in 2005, you moved up the organizational ladder with many of the same teammates. How much has the familiarity with your teammates impacted your game on and off the field?

I mean, it definitely contributes. I think that's something that makes it that much more enjoyable. It's great when you have that camaraderie, that team chemistry both on and off the field.

The current Brewers lineup features four former first rounders: Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Geoff Jenkins and Ben Sheets. As a Brewers top pick, has the success of future teammates been a factor in how you approach the game?

It's encouraging. It's great to see those guys having so much success. I just strive to get where they are, but at the same time, obviously my situation is different from theirs. I just need to go out there and work hard every day and, hopefully, get to where they are at, sooner rather than later.

As far as outside predictions go, do they tend to affect your game at all? A recent prediction had you in the Brewers lineup by 2008, only two years away.

I want to get there as soon as possible. I want to make sure that I'm fully prepared and that I'm ready for the time that I do get there. I try not to think too much about those types of things. I just try and work hard every day, learn from what I'm doing here. I know eventually everything will fall into place for me.

As a player, what do you feel are your strengthens? Weaknesses?

Confidence. I have a lot of belief in my ability in all facets of the game. As far as weaknesses go, I would have to say consistency. The biggest thing I've realized is the importance of being consistent -- offensively, defensively, baserunning, your approach to the game, in everything you do -- it's important to be consistent.

Who, out of former and current Major League players, would you say you most emulate your own game after?

I grew up liking Alex Rodriquez a lot. I like the way he carries himself both on and off the field and he obviously has achieved a tremendous amount of success. I think people generally view him as being a good person and that is something I pride myself on as well.

Ranging from tee ball to pro ball, who has been the biggest influence on your career? What's the best piece of advice you have ever been given?

I would say my parents. They constantly remind me to just have fun. You're so fortunate to have the opportunity to play this game professionally, and I think when you get too caught up in having a bad day, frustrated when you're not doing well, you have to just realize the importance of having fun. It's still the same game I've played since I was a little kid. I just out there every day and appreciate the opportunity that I have.

How about your own set of advice to a kid who wants to get drafted, what would you say to them?

Go out there and work hard, do what you have always done. If you just go out there and work as hard as you can, and take pride in your work ethic, then I think people will appreciate your talents and you'll be rewarded for your hard work.

When you hang up the cleats, what would you want fans, teammates and coaches to remember you most for?

Just being a good guy who played the game the right way. I just want to go out there, work hard every day, have people appreciate the fact that I played the game the right way and worked hard every day.

How about your career after the game?

I don't know. I mean, I love sports, so maybe broadcasting, some type of communication involving sports, maybe something on ESPN. I don't really know, but hopefully that's a long ways away and I don't have to think too much about it.

With the season under way, what do you hope to accomplish in 2006?

My goal is just to work hard every day and to continue to improve, help my team win as many games as possible, in as many ways as possible.

Link, text follows:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Faces on the Field: Ryan Braun

By Patrick Brown / Special to MLB.com

Cracking the books didn't just help educate him. It helped develop him.

That's a big reason why Ryan Braun believes he has turned into All-Star talent in just his first year.

Braun has been selected to play in the 45th annual Florida State League All-Star Game in Lakeland, Fla., and although his numbers this season may be eye-opening, he doesn't credit his talent for bringing him this far. He credits his education.

Before being drafted, school was something Braun had always taken seriously, whether it was elementary school, high school or his education at the University of Miami. Although he was drafted and signed with about a year left in college, Braun was a business management major with a minor in sports management and maintained a 3.3 grade point average.

"I took a lot of pride in my schoolwork," Braun said. "A lot of athletes took college for granted, but I realized that I was getting a free education and I was very lucky, so I always took my education very seriously and always got pretty good grades."

Impressive? Absolutely. But seriously, how could doing well in college help propel his baseball career?

The 22-year-old credits college not only for helping him learn to balance his schedule but for demanding the discipline required to stick to a plan. Dorm life, baseball, academics and his social life competed and conspired to force Braun to master time management quickly, and the exercise helped make his transition to professional baseball much easier.

"Academics instilled in me a sense of urgency and time management," Braun said. "It definitely helped me put some discipline in my life."

Now, in his first season with Brevard County, Braun has already seen the lessons learned and effort made begin to pay off. In 55 games, he has hit seven home runs and driven in 36 runs. His 60 hits include 12 doubles and a triple.

Those numbers got him selected to the All-Star squad, along with six of his teammates.

"It's an honor, and I think it's a reflection on player development in the organization as well as the coaching staff," Braun said. "We just try to help each other out, and it's definitely an honor."

While school was essential to his development, Braun has another significant driving force in his career -- post-education, that is. While teammates and coaches have had a huge impact during the first year of his professional career, his parents have continued to exert an important influence.

After all, they're the ones who helped guide him through school and into his baseball career, and he's always wanted to show them how successful he can be.

"They've always been very supportive and my dad always coached my teams growing up," Braun said. "I just wanted to do well and make them proud. Their support has been great for me."

That support, and the discipline he developed at school, have helped Braun find his groove quickly in the Minors. Discipline leads to consistency, and whether it's during batting practice or in a game, he knows consistency is key. Add in confidence and the potent mix has helped Braun develop into a solid player.

"I'm always confident in my ability," he said, "I know if I'm able to go out there and work hard every day and stay consistent in my approach and keep the same mind-frame, then I should be able to be pretty consistent."

The opportunity to play in the Brewers organization has Braun excited, especially with what Milwaukee has been doing with its young players lately.

"I've been extremely impressed with the entire organization since the day I was drafted," Braun said. "They've obviously had a lot of success in developing their younger players, and a lot of young players contribute at the big league level."

Could he be one of those players one day? He hopes so. But he knows he needs to keep a steady mindset. Stay consistent, stay confident and continue to make progress.

Braun feels he can handle that, but contemplating the endless possibilities can tax mental discipline and focus.

"(Seeing) a lot of their young players contribute in the big leagues is exciting for me as well as for the rest of our prospects," Braun said. "We know if we continue to progress though they'll give us a chance."

Regardless of what he's accomplished this quickly, Braun realizes he can't ever stop working on his game. Given his past, and his dedication to learning, that shouldn't be a problem.

Batting .283 with 36 RBIs, Ryan Braun was selected to the FSL All-Star team. (Jerry Hale/MLB.com)

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/06/15/Qp3eW4VU.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West All-Stars 7, East (Brevard's Squad) 4

Box Score:

Yovani Gallardo works around an error with a double-play ball; Josh Wahpepah with a perfect inning; Charlie Fermaint on base three times; Brendan Katin 0-for-4 with four K's, hold your head high kid, you've had a deserving All-Star season; Ryan Braun 0-for-4, one K; Hernan Iribarren 1-for-4; Steve Sollman 0-for-2 with a walk...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_fswafa_1

Game Log:

The first six East All-Stars struck out to start the game -- Fermaint broke that streak with a single; check out the Reds' Homer Bailey's 2nd inning; 25 K's combined in the game...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_fswafa_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Reminder to archived video link:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../video.jsp

Click on the date for June 17th if need be.

At the 52-minute mark on the archive, Homer Bailey of the Reds faces Brendan Katin and a batter later, Ryan Braun. On the mound, Yovani Gallardo follows the next half-inning, Josh Wahpepah the next inning.

(Plus you get the mascot tug-of-war just before Yo pitches! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )

Also worth mentioning re: the All Star game - Hernan started at 2B, Sollman at SS, Braun at 3rd, Fermaint in RF, and Katin at DH. Lots of Manatees out there. During Yo's inning on the mound, the color commentator (Fred McGriff) takes a minute talking about how the Brewers went through a tough period for a while and ended up with a lot of high draft picks. He then went on to say how that is evident at the All Star game with nearly 1/3 of the East roster from Brevard County. McGriff said that with the Brewers improving at the MLB level and with the obvious success of their lower levels, "One day you will hear, your World Champion Milwaukee Brewers! Buy your DVD."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.news-journalonline.co...072006.htm

Clock ticking on Hall's shot at success

By MICHAEL LEWIS

Daytona News-Journal Staff Writer

It's not something most ballplayers would admit.

But Bo Hall is too smart to ignore what half of his brain screams at him before each game he pitches these days in the minor leagues.

He's 25 years old, a make-or-break age for most pro baseball players. You're no longer a hotshot prospect with the organization, but you're not quite too old for the parent club to give up on you completely.

Basically, you're in limbo, and every outing puts you one step closer to baseball oblivion, or toward restarting your career.

So Bo Hall, 1999 graduate of Seabreeze and current reliever for the Brevard County Manatees, listens to the doubts.

"Every time you go out you think, 'Is this my last time out, and are they going to release me if I don't do well?' " Hall said the other day. "And if I have a bad outing, it gets really rough. I go home and try to close my eyes and go to sleep, but it takes a long, long time."

Hall sighed.

"This is a hard game, and I'm not sure people realize that."

Hall, a 6-foot right-hander, is currently spending his second season in Melbourne, and is doing pretty well for the Manatees, who visit Jackie Robinson Ballpark Monday and Tuesday for a series with the Cubs. Through Thursday's games Hall was 4-2 with a 4.82 ERA, but has given up 51 hits in 52 1/3 innings.

"I've had a run of bad luck the last few weeks, and my consistency has been a problem," Hall said. "But I feel like I'm getting there."

Hall expected to be promoted to Double-A Huntsville after a strong spring training, but at the last minute he said the parent Milwaukee Brewers' late roster moves kept him at A ball, a story backed up by Milwaukee director of player development Reid Nichols.

"We like Bo a lot; he's a workhorse who takes the ball whenever he can," Nichols said. "As long as you've got a uniform on, you've got a chance to move up. We still believe he can help us."

"I was real angry at first, because I was told one thing and then something else happened," Hall said. "But they've said that I'm still a good candidate to go up soon."

Hall's strengths as a pitcher have always been his curveball and his strong command. Throughout his years at Seabreeze, and then into his career at University of Central Florida, Hall has always had a strong strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Manatees pitching coach Fred Dabney said Hall has improved on his command this season -- he has allowed 16 walks -- and made great strides in holding runners on base.

Hall said he's trying to stay optimistic, and the Manatees' strong first half "made things a lot of fun around here," he said.

But he's also a realist, and knows his time to shine may be growing short.

"I still have confidence in myself, but I do think about what I would do if baseball doesn't work out," Hall said. "I just want to be prepared if that happens."

ONE ON ONE

Staff writer Michael Lewis talked with Bo Hall about life on and off the field.

So you've been in the minors for more than four years now: What's the worst bus trip you've ever been on?

It's got to be the one in my rookie year, when I was in Ogden, Utah. We were on our way back from Medicine Hat, Canada, to Ogden. The trip was supposed to take 13 hours. It took 29.

About halfway through, our bus hit a bull on the road. It knocked out all of the electricity in the bus, plus we had to wait while the police came out and did an investigation. We had to ride the last eight hours home without air conditioning. The bull survived, though.

Tell me what was the best game you ever pitched in your life.

I'd probably have to say a game I threw at UCF (Central Florida) in the NCAA subregional. I threw a complete game and we won. There was also a game my rookie year in Ogden where I threw seven innings in a playoff game.

How much do you still follow what happens at Seabreeze, your old school?

Pretty closely, actually. I talk to Campy (coach Anthony Campanella) all the time, and I go and work out with the team before the season starts. They don't know who I am, mostly; to them I'm just some Joe Schmo out there looking to get his arm ready. (laughs)

What's your favorite ballpark in the Florida State League, besides your home park in Brevard County?

I've got to say Jackie Robinson, because it's home for me. Clearwater has a real nice stadium, too. And Legends Field in Tampa is really nice. I got to play there in high school so it was fun going back (as a pro).

We all know things can get weird out in the bullpen. What's the strangest conversation you've had out there lately?

Well, you can't print a lot of the stuff we talk about, I'm pretty sure. The other day we had a bet about how many pieces of bubblegum one of our guys could put in his mouth. I think he got close to 30. It's a long season, man.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

To give Stars' fans hope (and maybe to enjoy some Florida sun and surf), the Huntsville Times' Mark McCarter went on a scouting trip to Viera, home of Space Coast Stadium and the Manatees...

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Stars seem like family for Sollman

All-Star infielder may follow brother to Huntsville

By MARK McCARTER

Huntsville Times Sports Staff, markcolumn@aol.com

VIERA, Fla. - Steve Sollman has something of a past with Huntsville. Now he wants a future there.

Sollman, 24, is a Florida State League All-Star infielder, racking up nifty numbers with the Brevard County Manatees, Milwaukee's Single-A farm club and the most immediate "feeder team" to the Huntsville Stars.

Seven years ago, his brother Scott was an infielder for the Stars. With their own seven-year difference in age, and busy with his own prep and college career, Steve seldom saw his brother play in the pros.

"I did make it to one game (in Huntsville)," Steve says. "I was in a tournament in Tennessee and my parents and I went down. I don't remember too much about it.

"I heard it's not a bad place to play.

I hope," he adds, "I can experience it some day."

There are similar sentiments throughout the Manatees' clubhouse, underneath the first base grandstands at the handsome Space Coast Stadium, just off I-95 about halfway between Cocoa and Melbourne.

The Manatees, much like the lower-A West Virginia Power, are full of talent. Indeed, of the 30 top Brewers prospects (as ranked by Baseball America), 14 began the season either with the Manatees or the Power.

Huntsville has already benefited from the recent promotion of pitchers Steve Hammond and Yovani Gallardo and third baseman Ryan Braun. More are destined to be here soon.

Who to watch for?

"All of them," says Brevard pitching coach Fred Dabney, laughing. "We've got some talented guys here."

"There is some unbelievable young talent on this team," says Sollman, leaning against a wall outside the clubhouse as torrential rain pounds the ballpark. "As they continue to learn the game and learn what it's about, there's no doubt you're going to see some major leaguers on this team."

Two of them might include the double-play combo of second baseman Hernan Iribarren, 22, and shortstop Alcides Escobar, 19.

Tough thing for Sollman is that he, too, is an infielder. He is behind them on any prospects list, and ahead of them in age. He is 24, having been drafted in the 10th round out of Notre Dame in '04.

"I'm just trying to take every day as it comes and play the game the way I know how to play it, the way I was taught, and not be worrying about those things," Sollman says. "You can't be looking too far ahead or too far behind.''

"Every manager would want Sollman to play for him," says Dabney. "He's the type of kid that does the little things and plays every position."

A quick check of the '99 Stars archives provides a couple of tidbits.

First, Scott left Huntsville behind with a nice memory - he went 4-for-4 with four stolen bases and four runs scored in the penultimate game of the '99 season.

Second, there was even some hype then about his kid brother, well into the process of shattering Scott's old records at Cincinnati's St. Xavier High.

Scott recently graduated from law school and is preparing for the bar exam. He's also, he admits to his brother, living a little bit vicariously through Steve.

They are now "about as close as you can get," says Steve.

"I call him close to every night and run things past him. He loves talking about the game. I have a feeling he still misses it."

So much for them to talk about. And, very likely, so much in common to soon talk about.

www.al.com/sports/huntsvi...amp;coll=1

Stars on the horizon

By MARK McCARTER

Here are some of the Brevard County Manatees you can expect to see later this season or next year in Huntsville Stars uniforms (statistics through July 3):

Name Pos. Age Statistics The Skinny

Hernan Iribarren 2B 22 .307, 38 RBIs Great bat, needs a little more polish on defense, little power

Steven Sollman Inf 24 .298, 31 RBIs Versatile and talented; often outshines highly touted prospects

Brendan Katin OF 23 8 HR, 51 RBIs Ferocious power, something rare in the mid-level Milwaukee teams

Charlie Fermaint OF 20 .281, 20 SBs No. 2 OF prospect in system, says Baseball America

Alcides Escobar SS 19 .278 Needs to pad 155-pound frame and stay healthy

Josh Wahpepah P 21 3-3, 3.63 Durable sinkerball pitcher with funky delivery; 1 of 6 Manatee All-Stars

Mark Rogers P 20 93 Ks, 66 IP Throws high 90 mph fastball; needs to be pitcher, not thrower

Sam Narron P 24 2-1, 2.91 6-7 lefty 1 of 8 in family to play pro ball; uncle Jerry manages Reds

Mike Jones P 23 0-1, 4.22 ERA One-time No. 1 pick making long comeback from two surgeries

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Potential Star throws 96 mph while rebuilding

Former first-round pick Rogers has struck out 93

By MARK McCARTER

VIERA, Fla. - The Milwaukee Brewers thought he was the hottest high school pitcher in the nation, so they drafted him in the first round, paid him a substantial bonus - and immediately tore him down and had him start all over.

It was like buying an almost-new beachfront mansion, leveling it, then building one in its place that was identical except for a bigger foyer and more kitchen space.

Because of that, the numbers for Mark Rogers - 1-2, 5.05 ERA with 93 strikeouts in 66 innings this year at Single-A Brevard County - might not seem at first to merit the other numbers.

But when you factor in another number - the 96 to 97 mph he averages on his fastball - it begins to make sense.

"He's got No. 1 starting stuff for the big leagues," said Manatees pitching coach Fred Dabney, who served in the same role in Huntsville in 2004.

"He's got a 'plus' fastball, 'plus' breaking ball, 'plus' slider and the changeup is going to be average to plus. He's fun to watch," Dabney added.

"He's got a helluva lot of potential," said former Huntsville pitcher Mike Jones, now at Brevard. "The kid's got anything a starting pitcher could ever want."

But he was a raw talent when drafted out of high school in Orrs Island, Maine, a kid with as deep a background in hockey as baseball. Alas, "the Brewers don't really want me on skates," Rogers said.

He came into pro ball with a delivery where the upper half and lower half of his body weren't in synch. The Brewers fretted it made him more prone to arm woes, and also felt he'd be more effective if he learned a new delivery.

"The process was difficult for me because I had success the other way. It was a little discouraging to get into pro ball and have to make those adjustments immediately," Rogers said. "Things will be better in the long run."

As the changes were taking place, it was only natural that he might lose some velocity or some sharpness.

So, as he said, "You get hit a little bit. It's growing pains.

"Sometimes," Rogers continued, "it's a step backward. I'm at the middle ground now. It's just a matter of taking another step forward."

The next step: Huntsville, perhaps even by season's end.

"I know I have some work to accomplish here," he said. "But my stuff is really starting to come together. Huntsville will come whenever it comes, Obviously the sooner the better. If I get the stuff accomplished here, it'll happen."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.al.com/sports/huntsvi...amp;coll=1

Jones has shoulder to cry on but doesn't

Former Star hasn't given up on rehabbing his arm

Contact Mark McCarter at markcolumn@aol.com

Huntsville Times

VIERA, Fla. - You want a comeback story to latch on to? You want an underdog worth rooting for, even if his baseball life has him down by three runs going into the ninth?

Meet Mike Jones. More accurately, get re-introduced to Mike Jones.

Three seasons ago, he was assigned to the Huntsville Stars. He was the Brewers' No. 1 draft pick in 2001, the 12th player chosen overall. He was a kid of 19 when he came to Huntsville, bright, articulate and with infinite potential for greatness.

Trouble is, the engineering department back at the factory had a flaw in the design of the human arm. It wasn't built to throw baseballs at near 100 mph for long periods of time. There are frequent breakdowns.

Mike Jones has had those.

He has endured two shoulder surgeries and a season of inactivity. He has endured countless hours of doubt and worry, occasionally tempered by a soothing blast of hope.

"It goes without saying it was the hardest part of my life," Jones says.

He is standing in a hallway at Space Coast Stadium, outside the Brevard County Manatees' clubhouse. He greets a visitor with a man-hug. He is a grizzled 23 now, his frame a little more filled-out. He still has the frat-boy-up-to-no-good look about him.

He has become more philosophical. "It's day to day now," Jones says. "After having the surgeries, I learned it's good to have a plan. But sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. You take it day to day and enjoy it while you can."

He is beginning his comeback with Milwaukee's Single-A affiliate and, according to pitching coach Fred Dabney, it's "coming along well. His arm is feeling better. It takes time to get the rust knocked off, but he shows some flashes."

Jones is 0-1 in nine appearances with a 4.22 ERA in 21 innings of work. He has struck out 16, but walked 13.

Better for his arm to be rusted than busted. In 2003, he suffered a slight tear in his right elbow midway through the season. He sat out the rest of the season and rehabbed. After three starts in Huntsville in '04, the Brewers shut him down again, believing something in his pitching mechanics aggravated the elbow.

Things were readjusted, only to have his shoulder blow out. He had surgery in October 2004, but it didn't take. He had another in April 2005, after which he was told, "Get ready for spring training 2006."

Living near the Brewers' base in Phoenix, he was at camp every day, working out, watching his teammates, feeling like an outcast.

"It was tough. There was nothing I could do besides just hoping and believing I was going to get back."

What if Jones had been a 13th-round draft pick instead of a No. 1 pick?

"Gone," he says without hesitation. "Not here any more. Long gone. I think it's the investment. That's what kept me around here."

Funny thing, though, it may not be the Brewers' investment in Jones as much as it has been Jones' investment in himself that's kept him around. The Brewers have fiscal equity in him. He has the physical equity.

"He's given up too much to give up, with all the hard work," Dabney says.

"It takes a special person to go through what he's gone through and still be out there every day working as hard as he does and still going," says teammate Mark Rogers, the Brewers' No. 1 pick in '04. "He could have easily pulled up his tent."

So, why doesn't he?

"Why am I still playing?" Jones says. "Because I love the game. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind about giving it up. But it doesn't take much thinking. This is something that's important to me. Outside of my family, it's been with me the longest in my whole life. It's all I've ever done.

"I don't want the 9-to-5 yet. I'm going to stay away from that as long as I can. As long as I've got a jersey, I've got a chance.''

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.floridatoday.com/apps...10342/1002

Manatees slugger progressing as a hitter

BY SCOTT BROWN

FLORIDA TODAY

The size 14 shoes he can just squeeze his feet into look like they might have trouble fitting into the batter's box.

But Brendan Katin has dug in quite nicely at the plate in his first full season as a professional.

The Brevard County Manatees' outfielder/designated hitter leads the team in home runs (10), RBI (56) and doubles (26) while batting .280.

And the former University of Miami star can only wonder what his power numbers might be if he played his home games in a smaller stadium and in a more hitter-friendly league.

"There's a lot of balls I've hit here that would have been home runs at, say, Vero Beach," Katin said Thursday before the Manatees beat the Dunedin Blue Jays 5-0 in front of an announced crowd of 4,809 at Space Coast Stadium. "This is the kind of league I need to be in to develop into the kind of hitter I want to be."

The right-handed hitter usually finds himself facing a wind blowing in from left field (not to mention a pitcher) when he bats at Space Coast Stadium. That has encouraged Katin to use the entire field instead of trying to pull the ball all the time.

That approach has no doubt facilitated his development -- Katin is fourth in the Florida State League in doubles and he played in the FSL's All-Star game last month -- though Manatees manager Ramon Aviles would like to see him be more aggressive at times.

"I feel like he guesses too much at that plate," Aviles said, adding that Katin has the tendency to sit on breaking balls and hence get fooled by fastballs. "We tell the guys what gets you to the big leagues is the ability to hit the fastball."

Aviles said too many of his players are not doing that, which is one reason why the Manatees entered Thursday eight games out of first place in the FSL's East Division.

A lack of timely hitting is far from Aviles' only concern.

Brevard County (11-15) recently sent outfielder Hasan Rasheed home to recover from a staph infection, leaving Aviles with a depleted bench.

Also, three Manatees starting pitchers are on strict pitch counts (no more than 65 a game), and that has led to an overworked bullpen.

Jeremy Lewis, for example, pitched four innings in relief Tuesday night in Brevard County's 2-1 win over Dunedin, and Joe Thatcher tossed three innings Wednesday night for the Manatees.

"Sometimes I've been praying for rain so we can have the night off and my bullpen can get a rest," Aviles said.

What the Manatees need to get into the playoff race is for their hitters to be on more nights than not, Aviles said.

That includes Katin, a Fort Myers native who was a 23rd-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2005 amateur draft and split last season between advanced rookie ball and low-A West Virginia.

He has been solid all season for Brevard County, and Aviles said his numbers could be even better if he simplified his approach at the plate and looked more for fastballs.

Effort, Aviles said, is not an issue with Katin.

"He's one of the first guys here every day," Aviles said. "He's a great kid and a hard-working guy."

And, like his teammates, he is a work in progress.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.floridatoday.com/apps...061/SPORTS

Heether searches for stroke

Third baseman had problems in Double-A

VIERA - -- His stuff is nasty, Adam Heether said with a smile, and he didn't stop there when assessing the state of his pingpong game.

"I'm the clubhouse champion," the Brevard County Manatees third baseman said before Saturday night's game at Space Coast Stadium.

That's probably a title he never figured he'd hold here after leaving the Manatees near the end of last season.

Heether hit well at Double-A Huntsville (Ala.) following a promotion and started this season with the Stars.

However, his struggles at the plate and the progress made by Ryan Braun, one of the Milwaukee Brewers' top prospects, led to an organizational switch.

In early July, Braun went from the Manatees to the Stars. As for Heether, he was told to return to Brevard County and rediscover the hitting stroke he had all but posted on the back of a milk carton in hopes of finding it.

"I just want to finish up strong this last month and have a good offseason," Heether said. "I just had a slow start and was pretty much grinding."

The right-handed hitting Heether batted just .213 with one homer and 18 RBI in 244 at-bats.

Words, even better than numbers, convey the extent of his struggles.

"Baseballs," Heether said, "look like Advils."

They do for most hitters that are slumping, which turns the batter's box into the loneliest place in the ballpark for them.

Heether still is trying to find his way here (he is hitting .231) but he hardly looked lost before Saturday's game.

The guy who has a tattoo that reads "All or Nothing" on the left side of his chest joked with teammates and played pingpong with them.

Presumably, he beat all comers given the title he holds.

"He is the self-proclaimed pingpong champion," Manatees outfielder Brendan Katin said.

The look on Katin's face suggested there is a big difference between self-proclaimed and actual.

But Heether isn't here to master pingpong as much as opposing pitchers so he can take some momentum and confidence into the offseason.

He said playing the same position as Braun isn't discouraging for a simple reason: If Heether shows the Brewers he can hit, they will find a place for him to play.

Or another organization will trade for him.

Besides, Heether said, if he worried about who is at his position, that would only be a distraction that he clearly does not need.

"Things don't always work out how you want them to work out," the 24-year-old Heether said. "I'm trying to develop as a player the best where I'm at and just play each day."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link for Ned Yost IV photo while active, text follows:

www.floridatoday.com/apps...002/sports

Following in dad's footsteps

BY SCOTT BROWN

FLORIDA TODAY

Baseball has survived and thrived in spite of itself at times, through strikes and scandals.

One reason the game has been so enduring: It has been passed down from generation to generation.

Is there anything more timeless than a father playing catch with his son? Anything more priceless than a father teaching his kids to fill out a scorecard at a baseball game?

Pro baseball has countless examples of sons tracing the same cleat marks left by their fathers, and two of those were on display last week at Space Coast Stadium.

Saturday, the Brevard County Manatees' starting lineup included first baseman Ned Yost IV, son of the former big leaguer and current Milwaukee Brewers manager.

Kevin Boles, son of former Florida Marlins manager John Boles, trotted to home plate with his team's starting lineup shortly before the game.

Boles is manager of the Fort Myers Miracle, and games are when the former Indian Harbour Beach resident is most visible. But that's far from the only time he is working. Boles' days usually start at 9 a.m. and don't end until 3 a.m.

In between, he is writing reports -- Boles not only has to file them regularly on his own players, but also others he sees in the Florida State League, like Yost -- and working with his players. Boles also guides them during the endless grind of games and sometimes makes bed checks afterward to make sure they haven't blown off curfew.

Boles probably would call his job many things, but work is not one of them.

"I get to live a dream every day," Boles said. "I realize how fortunate I am, and I never take it for granted."

Just 31 years old, he is in his seventh season as a manager and in his third year with the Minnesota Twins organization.

A former catcher, he played pro ball for a few seasons before embarking on the path his father took to the majors.

John Boles, who still lives in Brevard County, worked in player development for many years, leading to two managing stints with the Marlins.

He currently is a special assistant to Seattle Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi.

"I get a kick out of (his son's career) because I did the minor league managing thing," Boles said earlier this week from Seattle. "He just loves it so much."

A watchful eye

Ned Yost III also gets a kick out of following his son's career.

After every game, there is a cooling-off period before the Brewers skipper meets with reporters. During that time he gets on the Internet to see how his son fared that night (Ned Yost IV played at low Class A West Virginia before earning a promotion to Brevard County).

The elder Yost said he tracks the progress of all players in the Brewers' minor-league system, but there is only one prospect he talks to on the phone pretty much every day.

But, as with Boles, having a father in the game means almost nothing for the younger Yost if he doesn't produce.

"Because he's got that name doesn't give him any advantages or disadvantages," Yost III said earlier this week from Milwaukee. "He's never taken anything for granted and looked for any easy way out because of it."

Yost IV knows it will not be an easy road to the majors.

The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh product signed with the Brewers before last year's amateur draft in June -- fifth-year seniors in college have the option of doing that -- and said he likely would have been a late-round selection.

A former catcher who moved to first base a couple of years ago because of a wrist injury, Yost IV hit .287 with 46 RBI in 331 at-bats for West Virginia.

His goal is to move up a level a year, and he can say he's on track since he likely will finish the season with the Manatees.

"My goal is definitely to be in the big leagues, but they're going to have to kick me out of the minor leagues to make me quit playing," said Yost, who took a .208 batting average into Wednesday's game at Sarasota.

Speaking of the big leagues, teams are allowed to expand their rosters from 25 to 40 players next month. When asked if he'll lobby his father for a September call-up, Yost smiled.

"I'd never ask him for anything like that," he said. "There's guys that deserve it more than I do right now."

Friends, competitors

Ask John Boles about the younger of his two sons, and he'll say Kevin has earned everything he's gotten.

The father knows as well as anyone how demanding and multi-faceted the job of managing in the minor leagues is.

How it takes a lot more than just love of the game to do it.

Father and son talk on a regular basis, and Kevin often asks his dad for advice -- from dealing with a player going through personal problems to an underachiever whose potential has been tough to unlock.

Kevin Boles calls his father his "best friend."

"He's mine, too," said John Boles, who lives in West Melbourne with his wife, Rosemary. "He can ask me anything and I can tell him anything."

Well, almost anything. Since they work for competing employers, they don't talk about specifics such as personnel in their organizations.

Boles can talk tricks of the trade with his son but not about potential trades, and vice versa.

"We trust each other," John Boles said. "I don't give him any inside information on the Mariners. He doesn't give me any inside information on the Twins. That's the way it should be."

The benefit of having a father with a deep background in the game is that Kevin Boles grew up around it.

So did Yost IV.

As such, Manatees manager Ramon Aviles probably doesn't worry about Yost IV preparing himself for games. When his father managed in the minors for the Atlanta organization, Yost IV remembers watching future stars such as Ron Gant and Ryan Klesko.

He got an inside look at what they did on a regular basis before games. Being around his father's line of work at a young age also made an impression on the younger Boles.

"Every little thing means something to him," said Rosemary Boles, "and with John it's the same way."

Kevin started his career managing the Marlins' Gulf Coast League team at Viera in 2000, and he's made a slow but steady climb. If he eyes one day managing in the majors as his father did, he isn't saying.

"I don't even look at it that way," Kevin Boles said. "If you have your own goals or your own agendas, you're in the wrong business. What we try to do as a staff and organization is get guys to the big leagues."

NOTE: Nice story by Scott -- wonder if he knew he could have expanded it by including Robert Hinton, son of former big league pitcher Rich Hinton -- Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.floridatoday.com/apps...BUSINESS01

Jones' dream derailed

BY SCOTT BROWN

FLORIDA TODAY

In what probably seems like a different lifetime, he counted Prince Fielder among his teammates in Hunstville, Ala.

A clubhouse is not all Mike Jones shared with Fielder in 2004. Like the Eau Gallie High graduate, he enjoyed top billing as a Milwaukee Brewers prospect and seemed to be on a fast track to the big leagues.

But as Fielder chases National League Rookie of the Year honors for the Brewers, Jones is getting his once-promising career back on track with the Brevard County Manatees.

The tall right-hander, who blew out his shoulder more than two years ago, will be trying for his first win as a professional since 2004 when he starts the second game of a doubleheader today at Space Coast Stadium.

The Manatees host the St. Lucie Mets with the first game starting at 6:00 PM (5:00 Central).

Jones may not have a victory in the literal sense for the Manatees, but the season has been a success for the 12th overall pick of the 2001 amateur draft.

Jones, who didn't pitch at all in 2005 because of a torn right labrum that required two surgeries, has posted a 2.96 ERA in 48 2/3 innings and limited opposing hitters to a .228 batting average.

He has been kept on somewhat of a tight leash this season, though after starting the season on a 40 to 45 pitch count a game the Manatees are now allowing Jones to throw as many as 65 pitches a contest.

"If we're going to err as an organization," Brevard County pitching coach Fred Dabney said, "we're going to err on the side of caution."

That approach is not surprising considering Jones was once considered the top pitching prospect in the Brewers' organization and is still young enough (23) to be considered a part of Milwaukee's future.

"I'm in no rush and I don't think (the Brewers) are either," Jones said.

Jones will most likely finish the season in Brevard County, and he can only wonder where he might be if he hadn't gotten hurt.

He said he thinks he would have at least gotten a chance to pitch in the big leagues by now.

"That was then. This is now," Jones said. "It's time to start over."

That mindset has won over his manager Ramon Aviles as well as Dabney.

Both have praised the commitment Jones has shown as he tries to come back from the shoulder injury that wrecked a couple of his seasons but hardly his spirit.

"I'm really impressed with how he goes about his business," Aviles said.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=t503

Manatees Earn Post-Season All-Star Honors

Jenny Rennie, Manatees' Director of Media and Group Sales

The Florida State League All-Star Team for 2006 was announced on Monday by League President Chuck Murphy.

The Brevard County Manatees are proud to announce that Brendan Katin, who was recently promoted to Huntsville, and current Manatee, Hernan Iribarren, were selected to the team. All-Stars were chosen by Field Managers, Official Scorers and Club Sports Writers representing the twelve teams in the League. Iribarren represents the second base position and Katin the Designated Hitter spot.

Brendan Katin, who was promoted to AA-Huntsville on August 18th, hit .289 with 13 HR and 75 RBI while in Brevard County. The former University of Miami Hurricane's 24 doubles was good for third in the Florida State League leader board. Brendan, a 23rd round draft pick in 2005, holds a career batting average of .308.

Hernan Iribarren, who joined Katin on the mid-season 2006 Florida State League All-Star Team, represents second base for the post-season squad. A member of the Brewers 40-man roster, Iribarren is third in the league with a .324 batting average with 12 doubles and a team-leading 50 RBI. The native of Barquisimeto, Venezuela was named to the South Atlantic League Mid Season All-Star Team in 2005.

The Brevard County Manatees are at home for the final three games of the season on Saturday, September 2nd (doubleheader) and Sunday, September 3rd.

Hernan "Hurricane" Iribarren (#2):

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/08/31/Y3KUKQvS.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

These Brewer kids, such young families -- Corey Hart (24), husband and father of three; Prince Fielder (22), husband and father of two; Yovani Gallardo (20) husband and father.

We'll print this week's very detailed Manatee newsletter from GM Buck Rogers in full:

Here's your weekend update, Manatees fans.

The Milwaukee Brewers awarded Pitcher Yovani Gallardo and 3B Ryan Braun Pitcher and Player of the year awards this past weekend at home plate at Miller Park. The photo is on our website at www.manateesbaseball.com. For those that got to know Yo's wife, Patricia, and young son (Li'l Yo), you'll be pleased to know Little Yo is now walking. Both Yo and Ryan send their regards to Manatees fans and thank you for a memorable season.

The Vero Beach Dodgers are no longer the Vero Beach Dodgers. Next season the Dodgers High-A team that plays in the Florida State league will be a Tampa Devil Rays affiliate. Fans in Dodgertown are probably stroking out right about now as those 'homers' down there are very protective about their Dodgers. What do you call the team now? After the Steve Irwin thing last month I wouldn't name the team the Rays. They already have a Grapefruit for a mascot (Squeeze), therefore I'd change the name to the Indian River Fruit (Indian River County) and watch all those Dodgers fans really moan and groan. Take away their Dodger blue for grapefruit yellow and orange, remove all those old seats from Ebbett's Field as well and watch the cardiac care clinic's attendance triple for any given day. Get one of the local orchards to sponsor the team, hand out free juice when you leave the ballpark. I think it just sets up a new rivalry with our closest opponent geographically. It gets interesting as we are now not the only team in the league that plays in a ballpark where a different MLB team has spring training. I see a trend developing. But, we have the best MLB affiliation and I'll argue that point with anybody. Anybody wanting to check out all the affiliates, go to www.ballparkwatch.com and read the stories. There are links to take you to the site's affiliates page to see all the changes. Ballpark Watch is the place to go to get all the latest business news in the Minor or Major Leagues before your hometown newspaper gets it.

Internet rumor-tism has it that the Lakeland Tigers may do a logo and name change as well, however, stay as a Detroit Tigers affiliate. No idea what you could do with Lakeland except get those water skiers from Cypress Gardens involved. Think about the Go-Gos video on MTV from the song 'Vacation' back in the 80s. Yeah, that's got potential. And with the Vero Beach Dodgers/Indian River Fruit probably moving to Port Charlotte in a year or two when the Devil Rays move their spring training operations there, that would make the Lakeland Tigers an Eastern Division opponent for us.

Speaking of last weekend in Milwaukee...all the Brewers Minor League affiliates were treated to a fantastic weekend with the San Francisco Giants in town. I have never heard a louder booing for any player in any sport at any level than what Barry Bonds received. That is until he homered after being introduced. Then it got ridiculously noisy. But the truly amazing fact was after rounding the bases after a home run and not one, not even one person's shadow, made it out of the Giants' dugout to congratulate him. It spoke volumes. That, and the Brewers put the four-game sweep smackdown on the Giants and booted away any possible playoff chances that the Giants were dreaming about.

Season Ticket Holders, look for your renewal forms in the mail with an invitation to an upcoming World Series Party. If you don't receive your invitation by the 10th of October, please call us at (321) 633-9200. Anybody wanting to be a new season ticket holder can stop by our offices, fill out the short form and make a small deposit and you will also be cordially invited to attend the Season Ticket Holders World Series Party.

Got those wedding day blues? Not if you're Rob Brown and Lori McCarthy. The pair will be married at home plate at the ballpark tomorrow at noon. One will wear a home Manatees jersey, the other the road jersey. Team Chaplain Donnie Legg will officiate the ceremony. Rob and Lori are season ticket holders. No idea if they'll want The Wedding March or Take Me Out to the Ball Game played after the ceremony. Congratulations, Rob & Lori. Rock on.

The Manatees will be attending the 2006 FSL League Meetings on October 11th and 12th. The Manatees will be submitting a proposal to host the FSL's 2008 All-Star Game. The 2007 ASG will be held in Daytona Beach at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Father's Day Weekend. If you have an idea for a fan event for an All-Star Game weekend in Brevard County, send your idea to info@spacecoasstadium.com. DO NOT 'REPLY' TO THIS EMAIL. Also at the meetings: The 2007 FSL schedule is all but approved. The teams will vote to accept the schedule at the league meetings. As it stands right now the Manatees will open the 2007 season on Thursday and Friday, April 5th and 6th, at home against the Daytona Cubs. The teams will fly from Arizona on the same flight and begin the season duking it out at Space Coast Stadium days later.

We are in the process of finalizing an exhibition game again this season against the Florida Tech Panthers. This game is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 3rd.

The Brevard County Manatees will have a page in our program next season that will be a fundraising page for the Brevard Achievement Center. This page will be available to fans for private postings on a game-by-game basis with a small donation made to the Brevard Achievement Center. You might want to place a spouse's childhood photo and birthday wish in it on his or her birthday, a family photo or one of your group when attending the game, or place a small want ad for something you're selling, a garage sale note, a marriage proposal or any number of things. In return, you'll be helping raise funds for the Brevard Achievement Center.

Last season our interest for a Manatees Booster Club was lukewarm at best. We are going to try again this off-season and we will be bringing in ideas and reps from a couple other FSL teams' Booster Clubs in our attempt to get a Manatees Booster Club off the ground. And if we have 10 members the first year, so be it, we have to start somewhere and we're committed to getting this organization started. We would like to emulate what the Daytona Cubs have in place. The Cubs Booster Club raises funds to have post-game dinners on Sundays with their players, coaches and club members. They also assist in player transportation to the airport after the season ends, they pick up players' family members if they need rides from the airport, they have in-game fundraisers to cover all their costs and quite frankly, their Booster Club is more a family than it is a club. We have contacted other teams as well and have some good ideas that will not only support the players and coaches, but also add to club members' experiences behind the scenes at Space Coast Stadium. For those that have already provided input, we will not schedule this meeting on Wednesday or Thursday nights so Bones, Justice, Grey's Anatomy and Survivor: Cook Islands are still safe (for those without Tivo) for you.

We have tabulated all of the Deal or No Deal forms from this past season and have come up with clear picture of where our fans live (zip code), what the favorite promos are, what radio stations you listen to, where you get your game information, etc. This information allowed you to remain anonymous; we do not have your email address, address, telephone number, etc...nothing except your zip code and preferences. Thanks for your input because it now allows us to streamline our advertising operations into a more effective effort. Although, some of you have some twisted answers...favorite pastime other than baseball netted us some wild answers, some of which we can't print here. We'll have a quicker version of Deal or No Deal next season and we'll do it on top of the dugout during the game.

The Manatees Desperate Househusbands idea was recognized in ESPN The Magazine this month in the annual Veeckie Awards. The top seven promotions of Minor League Baseball are featured. The promo of the year belonged to the Lake Elsinore Storm for featuring a figurine (bobblehead) of Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah Winfrey's couch like he did on her TV show. No, I'm not kidding...ya' gotta love Minor League Baseball.

That's it for this week. Have a great weekend, everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived