Brewer Fanatic

Austin Kearns?

vannzee

How about Austin Kearns from the Nationals for RP Derrick Turnbow and another player?

Turnbow could set up in Washington, while Kearns could play left and thus allowing Braun to play third. While Cameron is suspended Kearns can start.

Kearns could play left and thus allowing Braun to play third.

I love Kearns, but moving Braun to LF was the single biggest thing we could have done this offseason to improve the team.

I would have loved a Capuano/Bush + Turnbow/Prospect for Kearns trade before the signing of Cameron, but I think we have all the bats we need or will acquire.

How about Austin Kearns from the Nationals for RP Derrick Turnbow and another player?

Turnbow could set up in Washington, while Kearns could play left and thus allowing Braun to play third. While Cameron is suspended Kearns can start.

While there have been conflicting reports that Kearns was being shopped, it sounds like the Nats are looking for starting pitching, not bullpen help. And I agree with the other poster that Braun is off 3B for the time being.

I think if the Brewers trade anything they have a percieved surplus of (i.e. starting pitching and maybe relief pitching), it would be for high-ceiling, lower-level minor league pitching to help replenish the system a little. With the trade for Linebrink last year, and guys like Parra, Villanueva, Gallardo and Stetter making the jump to the big league club, the organization could use an infusion of minor league pitching talent. I wouldn't mind seeing a young, close to major league-ready catcher come in, either.

I think if the Brewers trade anything they have a percieved surplus of (i.e. starting pitching and maybe relief pitching), it would be for high-ceiling, lower-level minor league pitching to help replenish the system a little.

I don't think that's necessary. I mean it wouldn't hurt but it's not an absolute necessity. We have a ton of picks in the draft this year to replenish the farm system. Our own first, two sandwich picks (32 and 35 overall I believe) and the Reds and White Sox second round picks plus our own second. That should help replenish the farm system.

I agree with Wiggum. You aren't going to replenish a farm system with one draft no matter how many picks you have. I don't think however, dealing guys like Vargas or Turnbow or both who make over $3 million will bring you anything of real value. The real value in trading those guys is saving their salaries.

In fact, I think both right now go into spring training as strictly insurance policies in case of injury to other pitchers. If everyone gets through spring healthy, they stand a good chance of being dumped to anyone who offers anything. In fact, Melvin might even have to gamble and waive them and hope someone is willing to claim them and their salaries.

I would actually like to deal from our surplus of starting pitching for a solid minor league reliever who can come in next year when the contracts are up for so many of our guys. I dont know what it would take to get a good late-inning bullpen prospect, but i think that would be a nice get.

I really doubt that they woul waive either of them as they did offer arbitration to Vargas and relivers always have value. I for whatever reason just dont feel confident with Cameron out there and I think Kearns is a much more exciting player.

Whether or not the trade is fair.. why would we do that? We have Braun, Cameron and Hart in the OF. He's valuable starting everyday, so to have him play the first 25 games while Camerons out, and then put him in a utility role after that is ridiculous IMO and I don't think he'd be a very happy camper.. see Kevin Mench.

I wouldn't come to Milwaukee if I was Kearns given the situation. I'd just flat out refuse or I'd make myself a pariah in the clubhouse. No, we need minor league pitchers, and I love the idea of an almost ready reliever for next year. if we trade two of our starters and we net two viable pitchers, then draft six pitchers in the early rounds or four pitchers and two catchers, given that Jeffress and possibly Rogers are ahead of them we could restaock the minors.

"i think he'd start over Cameron. It is a 162 season, a solid 4th outfielder is needed. "

Not trying to pick on you vannzee52 or anything like that, but first you say he'd start over Cameron, and then you say a solid 4th OF is needed, are you refering to Cameron being that 4th OF? Either way, it's been stressed so much that with a gold glove caliber player like Cameron coming to MIL is why Hall and Braun were willing to make the switches. If it had been someone else they wouldn't have made the switches. Joe Dillion should be a fine 4th OF along with Gwynn and even Gross... I really dont' see them paying Cameron 4 million to be a 4th OF , much less if that changed he'd be pretty upset, and the same goes for Kearns, if he came to MIL, (not sure if he has a no trade clause or not), but he'd turn into Kevin Mench, and Mench wasn't happy about platooning.

I wouldn't come to Milwaukee if I was Kearns given the situation. I'd just flat out refuse or I'd make myself a pariah in the clubhouse. No, we

need minor league pitchers, and I love the idea of an almost ready reliever for next year. if we trade two of our starters and we net two viable pitchers, then

draft six pitchers in the early rounds or four pitchers and two catchers, given that Jeffress and possibly Rogers are ahead of them we could restaock the

minors.

You'd make yourself a "pariah" in the clubhouse? Because you'd be going from a last place team to a team that could be a viable World Series contender? I guess I'd hope that professional players would have a little more respect for the game, and have a little more class than that.

And that's a sure fire way to blow a draft. By deciding going in that you're going to pick a certain position and then ignoring how the draft actually plays out, and picking for need(and it's not even a real "need).

I agree with Wiggum. You aren't going to replenish a farm system with one draft no matter how many picks you have. I don't think however, dealing guys like Vargas or Turnbow or both who make over $3 million will bring you anything of real value. The real value in trading those guys is saving their salaries.

Sure you can. Not in a literal meaning, but in a practical one, you sure can replenish a farm system with 6 picks in the top 2 rounds. You throw in 6 high impact players to a farm system that is already possibly a top 5 and likely at worst a top 10 farm system and you're absolutely replenishing your farm system in terms of actual prospects.

You hope to bring up a player or two every year, maybe for a small market team that number is 2 or 3. Maybe you hit on one and get a true impact player once every two years. So again, if you make the right choices, and that means not just picking for need, but picking the BPA, which is more important in baseball than any other sport because there's such a large gap from when players are picked until they're ready for the big leagues that you have no idea how things can change.

But anyway, get a Gallardo, a Hart, a Hardy, maybe a couple good relief prospects, and then tell me that you can't replenish a farm system in one draft?

And finally, don't throw Derrick Turnbow into the mix with Claudio Vargas. Turnbow's got a good amount of value out there, and for a guy who's potentially a great player as Turnbow is, and one who's as electric as he is, and as difficult to hit as he is, and there's always going to be a market for him.

Even if it was-

Kearns for Turnbow, Vargas

Kearns for Turnbow, Bush

Kearns for Turnbow, Gwynn Jr.?

Sorry, but those flat out wouldn't happen. If he asked for Weeks in the Cordero deal, he'd ask for either him, LaPorta, or some other stud. Kearns would have been a great addition, but the fact that Bowden is completly outrageous to work with really hinders any deal we do with Washington.

Take out of it for a second how outragous Bowden is...if it wasnt for Bowden, would we do any of those?
No doubt we would, but that is still a little light on our part. If bowden was a normal re-building GM he would demand some good prospects or cheap major league talent, so Vargas or Turnbow wouldn't work. It'd probably take something like Parra/Gamel or Escobar/and maybe another mid-level prospect to get a deal done. From my point of view this move wouldn't be worth it, because I believe LaPorta is not that far away from taking one of our corner spots. I really think people need to be patient and realize that outfield of Hart, Braun, and LaPorta will be very productive in the near future, but I can understand the win now mentality

Archived