Brewer Fanatic

Other factors that might affect Prince's future

alorrigan

Prince is super tight with TGJ and Weeks. I think them being signed long term will be the only chance the team has of getting a "home-town" discount, when Prince hits the open market. Money will be the biggest factor, but I would be shocked if either player is ever traded because their friendship w/Prince will count more the people think.

That is a very good point, I never thought of that.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

but I would think team revenues would be really important. If the Brewers go to the postseason and compete, how much more money can they make? When Mike McCarthy had his salary doubled, I wondered if the Packers made a couple million just in merchandise money when they went 13 and 3 and were competitive in the playoffs. Then there are additional ticket sales and TV revenues. I have no idea what the neighborhood the number is for Packers or Brewers. I think being part of a competitive ballclub would be a big incentive to working out a contract as well.

I guess the flip side is that it would mean that the team and no doubt Prince is performing at a high level and deserving higher compensation.

Formerly AKA Pete

Fans keep mentioning that Prince is "tight" with Rickie Weeks and Tony Gwynn Jr. While they are friends, I think this was mostly exaggerated by the media based on obvious stereotypes. I've spoken with Prince's wife at a game in Toronto, and I know for a fact that Corey Hart is Prince's closest friend/teammate.

Did anyone see the Tulowitzki contract? From what I understand, it takes him one year beyond his arby years with an additional option year. I'd love to see the Brewers construct something like that for Prince. He'll be a Brewer through 2011. If they paid up a little and offered him a contract now, they perhaps could get him for the first couple years post-arby. If they wait until he's a FA, he'll get a longer term deal that the Brewers won't be able to afford. Offer him a 6 yr deal now. It gives him certainty for 6 years without worrying about injury and we get 2 extra years we probably couldn't afford otherwise. This could line him up with Braun's length and keep the window for the Brewers to compete open a little longer.

Fans keep mentioning that Prince is "tight" with Rickie Weeks and Tony Gwynn Jr. While they are friends, I think this was mostly exaggerated by the media based on obvious stereotypes. I've spoken with Prince's wife at a game in Toronto, and I know for a fact that Corey Hart is Prince's closest friend/teammate.

But they're all black, so they all hang out together!

Great point, Pudster - thanks for sharing that conversation. I think it's pretty clear just from watching them play day in & day out that for the most part, this team has incredible chemistry. We've got some great personalities on the team, and a great balance of them, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think it has much to do with the fact that they're black, I think it has to do more with the fact that they came up together.

And they did do a little segment on how close Hart and Prince were, but it was more so about how close their wifes were, so perhaps that plays into her answer a bit. Prince certainly seems to be very close with Rickie.

Either way, I don't agree that it has anything to do with them all being black to be honest with you, they were just the three most well known players coming up, and the "hope" for the future, so of course they're going to do corny little segments on how good their chemistry is.

I think do think his relationship with his teammates, especially the young kids he came up with, would play into his decision, but it would have more to do with whther they were locked up long term at a fair and equitable rate and, thus, guaranteed to be competing. If we have Hart, Weeks, and a $400,000 Jr. Gwynny.... Well two out of three would be nice. hint-the once and future infielder (does no one else ever imagine Hart could be a .300/35HR/452B/30SB 1B with Gold Glove caliber defense. He is very fast, though he does seem a bit stiff at times, he would be the most athletic 1B...but I digress).

i see it mostly as Attanasio's decision. should Prince project like he has, will MA want to spend the big money so that he can have a potential HOF player retire with a Brewers jersey.

the whole thing about friendships or liking the city doesn't factor in a bit for me. that's never been Boras' m.o. he only ever uses that to get the home team to overpay, and since when do Boras' clients stay on their original team? not too often.

Andruw Jones circumvented Boras a few years ago, as did A-Rod this offseason.

Oh absolutely. And given how mature Prince is, and how he's seems to truly be "his own man", I don't think that Boras and his prvious dealings are going to guarantee that Prince is gone. Prince is a smart man. He'll have an idea of what he's worth and if the Brewres come close to that, and the Brewers are a winning club, AND the Brewers have retained Rickie as he will be a FA one year prior to Prince, then I think we've got a better chance than people will give us credit for.

Well Geoff Jenkins was also voted in as the Fans' choice a couple years ago, and Lyle Overbay, when he carried a .330 average into the ASB, was almost voted onto the team as well. We cheer for laundry, and thus vote accordingly...like Lemmings. I am Prince's lemming, though I also follow Yo.

It's not the same as being voted in to start. Jenkins was the 26th player or whatever number you can vote for online. Prince winning the fan vote is actually pretty unique considering the market he plays in...I agree with those that have posted it doesn't matter what market he plays in, but it DOES matter in terms of endorsements. Favre has never really been big into that, but if Prince is a big market will lead to a lot bigger pay day in terms of dollars.

A lot of good points, but I think Danzig is right on:

The problem i see signing Prince isn't so much the yearly amount as much as the number of years. Boras will likely try to get Prince as many years possible once he hits free agency. It's one thing if Prince would take say 17-18 million per year over three/four seasons, it gets super dicey though if he wants and could get five/six years elsewhere. With Prince being a big guy, it would be risky for any NL team to throw five/six year at him. On top of that, my assumption is the Brewers will try to avoid very long big money contracts whenever possible.

The Brewers will probably be competitive in the per-year salary, but someone will offer 7-8 years when the Brewers will offer 5 and that is that. But like someone else said, Prince could be worth a haul in prospects too. So let's just enjoy him while we have him and cross this bridge when we come to it.

Favre has never really been big into that, but if Prince is a big market will lead to a lot bigger pay day in terms of dollars.

Are you saying Wrangler Jeans & Prilosec OTC aren't the big time?!

"I woulda double-bagged it."

I think all this supposition only works if the salary structure of the game continues to rise in a gradual, relatively stable manner. But if salaries take a giant leap, like we've seen with .500 starting pitchers, the Brewers will once again be on the outside looking in. If Fielder was worth a 5 year 120 million dollar contract now (he's gotta be worth more than Carlos Lee), can we project out to 2011 and say, he'll be worth 5 years and 180 million dollars? Or will salaries spike and Prince will be worth a 5 year 260 million dollar contract or worse? I'm just very, very skeptical that any small market team can keep up in the salary race long term. Sure sometimes the stars align and small market teams can actually be competitive for a short while--but long term? I can't see it. I think he walks, and rightfully so. It's not his fault baseball is whacked. So lets trade him when he has max value; he should be worth a ton. Plus, isn't 2011 when the management/player agreement ends? There's gonna be a lot hell to pay come that time, and I'm not sure we won't be looking at a work stoppage. That could really complicate Fielder's future.

"I woulda double-bagged it."

That's a funny commercial. I got a low-res copy off Youtube. Wish I had a better one. Wouldn't you think that if people volunteered to watch advertising, you could do it? He also did Sensodyne (IIRC), some kind of lawn tractors and I saw him in one Bowflex commercial. I'm sure there are others. He did go for years without doing a whole lot.
Formerly AKA Pete

Archived