Brewer Fanatic

Other factors that might affect Prince's future

alorrigan
I was thinking today about this. There is a good chance that if Boras is Fielder's agent when he becomes a free agent he will be out of here. What about some things that may keep him here? First off would be the team being very talented and winning. Another would be Attanasio's willingness to spend. What came to mind for me is Ryan Howard and Mark Texieria. Texieria is a free agent at the end of the year and looks like he will not be staying in Atlanta. Howard doesn't seem to be getting along with the Phillies too well and may not want to stay. Those two could be the starters for the Yankees and Red Sox by the time Fielder is a free agent. Sure they would have a spot for a DH as well, which would probably be the best for Fielder, but taking those two teams out of the equation should help a little. I suppose if Laporta is a decent player by then it may be wise to let Fielder go and move him to first. Do you thing that those two guys (Howard and Texieria) have any affect at all on what happens to Fielder? Any other "out of the box" things you can think of that will have an affect?

Prince is super tight with TGJ and Weeks. I think them being signed long term will be the only chance the team has of getting a "home-town" discount, when Prince hits the open market. Money will be the biggest factor, but I would be shocked if either player is ever traded because their friendship w/Prince will count more the people think.

i think the other two players you mentioned will have a direct correlation to what prince does and asks for. With Boras as his agent, prince will never ask for less money that what Howard receives . if howard asks for and receives $10 million for 2008, Boras will be asking for at least that amount for prince for 2009. if howard receives a long term contract, Boras will be asking for similar numbers for prince. prince might be very happy playing for the brewers in Milwaukee. I've been to LA, Boston and New York. I'm sure Prince would be very happy in those towns as well. I think the driving factor for prince is not what prince wants, but rather what boras will be able to bring to prince. If my name was prince fielder, and my agent informed me boston would provide me twice as much as milwaukee would, I would be saying it's been fun, but it's time to move on. That's unfortunately the business of the game.

That's the way it is in the real world as well. if a fan gets offered a job by a different company that pays twice as much, that fan is going to inform his current employer, he liked working for him, but he just received an offer he can't refuse.

I believe Boras is also Teixeira's agent, I think that situation will give us a good indication of what to expect. I've never heard Teixeira say he didn't like Atlanta, or that he wouldn't want to stay, but you'll notice that Boras did not lock him into a deal that would delay his free agency.

Boras is a real hard-liner on this issue, I don't expect Prince to sign a long-term deal that costs him even one year on the free agent clock, and I doubt Boras will ever encourage him to stay here. Prince will have to specifically instruct Captain Evil to do a deal with Milwaukee, or he's gone. I have a feeling this ends up like Francisco Cordero did, with some lame "It's out of my control" sort of response.

There's always a chance that something could motivate Fielder to accept significantly less than market value from the Brewers but I don't see it as very likely. Like any other professional, financial compensation is pretty darn important.

Prince is his own man and he has already shown that with dealing with his dad. When ever this comes up I just think Prince would rather not deal with all the issues that come with playing with the BoSox or Yanks. Brewers are starting to show that they will spend money so I dont know that Prince will not get paid close to what he has coming to him.

We can hope that baseball figures it out and puts a salary cap into place in the next couple of years, so that things start to equal out.

Gwynn Jr could maybe get a long term contract as a minor league coach, not as a major league coach. Weeks is another story depending how much more he grows.

Big Reed wrote:

That's the way it is in the real world as well. if a fan gets offered a job by a different company that pays twice as much, that fan is going to inform his current employer, he liked working for him, but he just received an offer he can't refuse.

Yes of course, but it's ridiculous to think that the Brewers would only offer half of what the Red Sox would. I have a real hard time believing that the Red Sox would give Prince 22 million a year over 5 years, but the Brewers only offer 11 million over 5 years.

Judging from past contracts (average guys like Suppan and Gagne at $10 million per), it seems like the Brewers will at some point be willing to go into the high teens for a great player. Obviously they won't be able to do it as much as some other teams but 1 Fielder is worth 2 Suppans any day of the week, in baseball terms as well as marketing terms.

Judging from past contracts (average guys like Suppan and Gagne at $10 million per), it seems like the Brewers will at some point be willing to go into the high teens for a great player.

The problem i see signing Prince isn't so much the yearly amount as much as the number of years. Boras will likely try to get Prince as many years possible once he hits free agency.

It's one thing if Prince would take say 17-18 million per year over three/four seasons, it gets super dicey though if he wants and could get five/six years elsewhere. With Prince being a big guy, it would be risky for any NL team to throw five/six year at him. On top of that, my assumption is the Brewers will try to avoid very long big money contracts whenever possible.

Fielder has always struck me as being an intelligent honest young man. Based on those two attributes, my guess is that he has to leave Milwaukee. His future should be cut considerably by his body type, and he may only hit the jackpot once in his career. Plus, Milwaukee needs to be smart as well. Fielder is one fat-injury away from losing a lot of hie value. I'd maximize my return on him and stick LaPorta at first as soon as posssible.

Fielder is one fat-injury away from losing a lot of hie value. I'd maximize my return on him and stick LaPorta at first as soon as posssible.

Really? You'd think about moving him within the next year or two? There's no guarantee that LaPorta will be anywhere near as good as Prince is, that seems like a big risk. Consider that LaPorta is only 7 months younger than Prince and it seems like the odds of him being as good are slim. I hope he becomes a great hitter, but I don't know how likely it is. Plus, even if does become one, wouldn't it be nice to add him to a lineup that already features Braun, Hart, and Prince?

Prince will be a Brewer - at least - into 2011. He will be worth whatever annual salary he is awarded in arbitration, too (obviously the Crew could try a short 3/4-yr. deal). Once he is a full-fledged FA, I just don't see how the Brewers can retain him, feasibly. Could the contract be afforded in terms of a budget? Perhaps, maybe even 'probably.' But with how much it's going to take to re-sign him, you have to ask whether or not it's more valuable to have Prince, or to be able to retain Corey, YoGa, Villanueva, etc.

There's likely no sure one-to-one Prince/'No Prince, but players X, Y, & Z' comparison that could be done, but I think it's only logical to suggest that the financial freedom without what will surely be a gigantic contract for Fielder (2012 will be his age 28 season) will allow for keeping more players.

I, for one, think that Miguel Cabrera's contract (whenever he signs it) will play a large role in helping to determine what Prince's will look like. Teixeira's contract should help clarify that, too, since he obviously plays the same position.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would be willing to move Fielder very soon. At the end of 2009 if LaPorta is ready. No way LaPorta is half the player Prince is, but in 2009, if he is still producing at a high level, and he is two years from unrestricted free agency, that's when I think he has maximum value. So, yes. I think for Milwaukee's sake, and his sake, he needs to leave in a situation that helps both sides.

One thing I think people have to realize is right now Prince is pretty much THE face of the franchise. M.A. will want to keep him as long as he can. Prince is putting fans in the stands and for that reason alone they'll want to sign him. Think of the money it could cost not to have him. Hell, the common fan only knows a couple Brewers and one of them is DEFINITELY Prince... take him away and a lot of the common fans won't come to as many games. I think that will have a huge impact on his contract... It's hard to let the face of a franchise get bought by someone else. Especially if on that team he'll just be another player (cough Yanks & RSox). I think he likes being the most valuable player on his team.

mletto157, how much of an impact do you think an individual player has on attendance? I won't doubt that some people will go to some games specifically to watch Prince, but I don't think it has the impact you are implying. For example, it's usually clear when a starting pitcher is going to pitch. Sheets (when healthy) has without a doubt been the Brewers best pitcher for a number of years. Does anyone know how much of an impact Sheets has on attendance vs non-Sheets games?

I, for one, think that Miguel Cabrera's contract (whenever he signs it) will play a large role in helping to determine what Prince's will look like. Teixeira's contract should help clarify that, too, since he obviously plays the same position.
I think you could easily find people who think Cabrera should be playing Fielder's position as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I said on the very first thread, back when Prince announced that Boras was his agent, that Prince will be gone the first chance he gets. Nothing has changed since then. Holding out hope that he'll stay is a useless waste of energy. Enjoy him while he's here, then watch him move on to the big money.

Especially if on that team he'll just be another player (cough Yanks & RSox).

The list of teams on which Fielder is 'just another player' in MLB is zero.

Well, I'd tend to agree with you, but he's not the biggest name player on a team with Arod, Jeter, Mo, and then Manny, Dice K, Big Pappi, and the players they're likely to have in the future, Buchholz. Oh, and Papelbon.

But you're right, he'll always find a way to distinguish himself.

Put Prince in NY/Bos/LA & he's a first-tier star in MLB by the ASB. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think you could easily find people who think Cabrera should be playing Fielder's position as well.

Agreed - one reason why I thought of him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't see any way they keep Prince.

1) his size/position means he can only play one position, and is a long-term health risk. Brewers don't have that kind of money to gamble with

2) By the end of his contract, the Brewers will still be power-heavy, and will continue to have slugger logjams at the corners.

3) Braun (and probably LaPorta) will be putting people in the seats with the longball

4) The Brewers scouting have a knack for finding stud power hitters, making Prince somewhat expendable for the price

5) Prince could net the Brewers significant upgrades in pitching and prospects if he were dealt in/before his final year

Put Prince in NY/Bos/LA & he's a first-tier star in MLB by the ASB. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Isn't he in Milwaukee? I mean, didn't he pass up Albert Pujols and get the fan votes for 1st basemen as a 22 year old 2nd year player?

Some players don't NEED a big market. Heck, I don't think Favre would be any bigger in NYC, LA, or Chicago. I think that's part of his appeal. I think the same could be true for Prince....you know, if we had a little thing called a salary cap.

Well Geoff Jenkins was also voted in as the Fans' choice a couple years ago, and Lyle Overbay, when he carried a .330 average into the ASB, was almost voted onto the team as well. We cheer for laundry, and thus vote accordingly...like Lemmings. I am Prince's lemming, though I also follow Yo.

I think that the front office has been laying the groundwork for resigning Prince for a little while now. LaPorta may have been the best power bat, but he was selected well before anyone had projected (he did fit a need and signed for roughly slot value). Gagne may have been the mythical $7 million closer that some thought was available in free agency, but we pay $10 million with incentives. If I remember correctly, Prince kept telling Scott how great it was in Milwaukee now and that helped point Gagne to the Brewers.

This last move, I believe, helped Boras save face after the Arod disaster. The Brewers are showing that they are willing to do business with Boras in the right circumstances. I feel that if Prince puts his foot down that Boras doesn't want to go through another Arod type situation. As long as the Brewers keep winning and showing that they are willing to spend, I can see this mini trend continuing. Look for the Brewers to draft a falling Boras player with one of the sandwich picks this year and overpay the slot value.

Maybe in the end this won't mean much to Boras and he will take Prince to the open market. I think that the Brewers are gambling that overpaying a few million over the next few years for Scott's clients will in the end save them $20 or so million on Prince's overall contract by not hitting the open market. I believe (and I am assuming the Brewers) that Ryan Howard's contract will be the starting point for Prince. The Brewers will not win in a bidding war with NY (both), Boston, Detroit, etc... so, they need to do what they can to develop a good relationship with Boras and a winning atmosphere that Prince doesn't want to leave.

Archived