Brewer Fanatic

Who will be the biggest dissapointment in 2008?

Patrick425

I hardly consider 1 year 5.22 Million Dollars a big contract anymore. Theres no long term attachment and if he has a good year we can bring him back with that 10 million dollar option and if we dont want him so long!

To be honest I cant believe we got him for this cheap. 1 year stop gaps of Eric Gagne and Mike Cameron at areas of extreme need. I guess I could throw Jason Kendall in there as well. If they return close to their All Star form this team is gonna win alot of games.

@WiscoSportsNut

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Villanueva and Riske. Riske is more of the high 3 ERA guy from previous seasons so people will be upset when he is a pretty average RP. Everything about Villanueva's stats screams 4+ ERA to me and I know a lot of people are thinking he has a breakout.

Yea i see Villanueva being one of the bigger wildcards for this years team, i could see a fairly wide degree of results from him this year. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was very good and put up an ERA in the 3.5 range or was in the 4.5 range.

I'm going to say the whole team. I had my hopes up really high after the 2005 season where they finished .500. They did not meet my (or anyone's) expectations in 2006. I sort of feel the same way right now. We all know how good this team can be, but we also know how bad this team can be--we saw both sides last year. For once, I'm being pretty pessimistic about the Brewers, just in case they do regress this year.

For individuals...I'm scared that Braun will not put up the numbers that he did last year, even after a full season. I'm afraid of a .275 BA with 20 HR, though I realisticly don't think that will happen. I'm also weary that Gallardo will have a 4+ ERA and will end up with 10-12 wins, if that.

I don't know why everyone is so down on Hardy. When Ash and Melvin drafted him, last years number's were what they expected him to have during the good years of his career. I expect about the same number's from him, and I would expect a drop in HR's by 3-5, but he will increase his average, OBP and walks.

I think that Hardy got the raw deal when he got injured early in his career. This kid can hit. Simple as that. He's not going to be a disappointment.....ever!

My disappointment player this year (Oh, how I wish I could vote for Yost) is going to be Suppan. I feel he's lost some of his mojo and by July, he'll be our #5 pitcher instead of #3.

http://t4.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1487584236095&id=1edc98a68caf8ff6f4b6d0b29e1a17ae

I hope I'm wrong though, cuz I like the guy. He's good peep's.

My first response to this is, "What are the expectations?" If you think Prince will hit 50 HR again, but then he hits 42, you could view him as a major disappointment, which he most certainly would not be.

I think anyone who is expecting Braun to hit .320, with 50 HR, is asking to be disappointed, but that doesn't mean he won't have an outstanding year.

My bet for this, is Eric Gagne. He's had some significant injuries, he's got the Mitchell Report to deal with, and he flopped in Boston, I think that's the longest list of "cons" on the current roster.

Yea i see Villanueva being one of the bigger wildcards for this years team, i could see a fairly wide degree of results from him this year. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was very good and put up an ERA in the 3.5 range or was in the 4.5 range.

Villy's BBs from 2007 concern me. 53 BB is quite a few in just 114 1/3 IP, but I also wonder if the Brewers' over-use of him & his subsequent tiring has/d anything to do with that relatively high BB rate. However, his minor-league ratios don't look to indicate that we should expect 4+ BB/9 IP for him as a norm.

He's a wildcard - that's the best way to phrase it. I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but let's just hope those extra BBs were from fatigue.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why do I keep thinking "Jeffrey Hammonds" in my head when I hear the name "Mike Cameron". Is this unreasonable? The situation seems to be mirror images. Center Fielder, Big Contract. Big disappointment.

It's not a very fair comparison. Cameron is paid less than Hammonds was back then, and is signed for one year rather than three. Plus, he has a long history of playing more than not, and being better than average while not benefiting from Coors field.

weeks...

he's incredibly streaky...and while the injury was a nice excuse, rickie has really only dominated a half season of AAA and a couple of months next year...

while i want him to break out, i wouldn't be surprised by .250/.350/.425 next year with 10 hrs and 20 sb...

I really hope I'm wrong but I'm nervous about Braun. He has to deal with a new postion and the expectations of being ROY. I think it will be hard to get the numbers he had last year, but I hope I'm wrong.

What the!! That's!! Blasphemy!!! How dare you speak such nonsense around here!!

Truth be told, I'm worried about the very same thing. As for Hall, he was my pick for biggest disappointment in 07, and I'm just not that confident that he's going to be the 2005 version again. I'd love if he were a .290/.345 17 HR type hitter, but I think he's going to be more of a .255/.325 23 HR type hitter.

Corey Hart is my second option. I pray I'm wrong on these two, I just don't have a great feeling about him. Not a lot of logic behind it, just a bad feeling about him.

I have a bad feeling Bill Hall stinks the joint up again and we are forced to trade him for a new 3rd Basemen at the trade deadline. His poor response to being moved combined with his expensive contract, average defense and terrible OBP is expendable.

I look at this guy and I cant help but think he was a one year wonder. The money hes gonna be making in a few years is rediculous if he continues his production from last year. I know the love affair with the guy around here but I just dont share the same enthusiasm. He strikes out way too much in clutch situations for my liking.

Ok, first of all, I don't know what you're talking about in reference to a "love affair" with Bill Hall around here. I think that the general perception is that his 2006 season is likely his career high, and that he'll likely meet somewhere in the middle of 2005 and 2006 in terms of BA and HR's. Hopefully about .280/.340 with 23 or so HR's.

Second, Bill Hall was at one point the Brewers minor league player of the year, and again, had a very good season in both 2005 and 2006, so I'm not certain which season would make him a "one year wonder", but that's not the case.

Third, if he continues his production from last year, yea, his contract won't be a good one, but to label it as "ridiculous" is overstating the case, especially when you call the 5.22 million that Cameron's making, "not that much". Hall isn't going to be making 12 million a year for the next 4 years. I think that he's getting way too much grief for the contract that he signed as if it was this huge blockbuster deal.

And finally, what do you mean about "his response to being moved"? What did he do that makes his response to being moved so outrageous? I just don't see it.

Like I said, most hope that he can find the mean between the 05 and 06 seasons, they'll be happy. I for one expect about a .265-.275/.335-.345 20-28 HR type season from Hall next year and in the future. Anything more I'll be happy.

I think the answer has to be Braun. Unless he wins the MVP next year, it is going to be a disappointing year. As for a disappointing pitcher, I think Brian Shouse is going to get lit up and be an ineffective LOOGy, but thanks to our farm system, we have a Mitch Stetter in stock who just needs a chance to shine.

Expectations for Gagne (at least among "casual fans") will be particularly high, I think; so he stands to fall farthest.

I don't know, all they've been hearing about from the national media and even some of the local media is "Oh he sucked in Boston, why would you give him so much money?"

I think that the Milwaukee Brewers as a team will be a major disappointment. They won't be able to keep up with the Cubs who will win the division by 5.5 games.

hey, it seemed to work for the Packers this year

Luckily the Brewers don't have Brett Farve to personally screw up their entire season. I don't think they need the reverse psychology.

My pick would be Hardy. I think his power will take a hike, and after more scutinizing people will begin to recognize him as very average defensive player. Plus, he's the team's pretty boy, and I'd just love to disappoint the groupies.

Other than that--I'd guess Capuano. I really believe he has a chance to be much worse. I even think there's a chance he may never win another game in a Brewer uniform.

Second, Bill Hall was at one point the Brewers minor league player of the year
I didn't realize this. I'm assuming that Baseball America also ranked him as one of the top Brewer prospects at the time as well then.

I guess I just don't remember a whole lot of fan fare when Hall came up. Also, has he put on weight since his first year?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I doubt Braun will come close to duplicating his 2007 numbers, but a .290 avg with 25 homers and 90 RBI will be nothing to be disapointed about.

I think the bigest disapointment will be Hardy. He is not going to make the all star team ahead of Rollins this year. with everybody else flexing their muscles, hardy will just be satisfied with getting on base, so his power numbers will drop drastically. His bunts, walks and sacrifice flies will improve. but nobody cares about that type of stuff. hardy will emerge with the numbers he should have generated last year and people will feel he's a huge disapointment. I'm thinking hardy will go .275 with 13 homers and 55 RBI. those were the type of numbers I expected from him last year.

I also doubt cameron will hit more than 20 homers. Will that make him a huge disapointment?

With an improved defense and pitching, i doubt the brewers will come close to hitting as many homers as they did last year. they won't need as many homers to win games.

#1 will Ben Sheets, he will once again get injured and loose a bunch of starts that this team could use from an ace type pitcher.

#2 Bill Hall he had his great year and his big swing has too many holes in it to bounce back.

Braun had an incredible season last year and mostly likely will go down some, and Hardy had a first half power spike that is the only thing that changed in his game. There drop offs will not be as dramatic as some are projecting.

#1 will Ben Sheets, he will once again get injured and loose a bunch of starts that this team could use from an ace type pitcher

How can you be disappointed in a player you cut on in every single post you make? I think the only way Sheets is a disappointment to you is if he stays healthy all year and pitches well.

Archived