Brewer Fanatic

Who will be the biggest dissapointment in 2008?

Patrick425

We have a thread about who will have a break out year and a thread with actual projections. Thought it would be appropriate to have this thread as well. Of course I tend to be a pessimist, so this kind of thinking is right up my alley.

I think Ben Sheets should be excluded from consideration, because it's too obvious of an answer.

My pick is Billy Hall. Not that last year wasn't disappointing for him but I really think that at the end of this year (or earlier) we will be looking to unload his contract on another team and in the market for a new 3B. JJ Hardy is my runner up.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think Hall will step it up. I think he's going to be more comfortable at third base and he'll relax at the plate. Plus he was really heavily relied on at the beginning of last year, but this year with Braun and Fielder carrying the load, he should be able to hit a little better. I think the biggest disappointment this year is going to be Hardy. He needs to go back to doing what he was doing at the beginning of last year and not worry about Home Runs. He needs to get on base and let the middle of the order get him in.

My vote is probably Gagne. Not that I think he is going to be terrible but i think we are going to miss Cordero a lot more than year than we want to believe. I would not have given Cordero the money he got but he was flat out dominant most of the time, whereas with Gagne I am just not sure what Gagne we are going to get.

Villanueva and Riske. Riske is more of the high 3 ERA guy from previous seasons so people will be upset when he is a pretty average RP. Everything about Villanueva's stats screams 4+ ERA to me and I know a lot of people are thinking he has a breakout.

Hardy was my breakout pick, I think his OBP will go up a good bit and while the HR's will come down in the end he will be more valuable, plus his defense will improve this year as I think his knee/hip/back problems last year really cut into his defense. It will be a subtle breakout but he'll be more valuable than last year when you look deeper into the numbers.

I have always had a hard time trying to figure out Hardy and the "top prospect" label that was put on him before he came to the majors. I look at his Minor League numbers and I don't see anything that really jumps out at me. I always just pictured him as an average middle infielder who will put up very average MI type offensive numbers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think Jason Kendall will be the biggest disappointment this year, which is saying something considering most people aren't expecting much out of him anyway.

I expect Kendall to hit right around .230-.250, his OBP may be in the .320-.340 range but he's not going to throw out a lot of runners and people will run on him just as much as they did Estrada.

Other than Kendall, I think Villanueva may have a down year from what the expectations for him will be. I hope I'm wrong on that as I like CV.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'll go with Gagne being the person the general public is most disappointed in. I think the money he got and his past dominance will help turn fans against him if he struggles a lot, and he doesn't have a ton of recent success to make me feel comfortable that he'll do well.

It could also be Cameron, who's going to miss 25 games and is getting up there in age. Those two factors could create a lot of rust that digs him in a sizeable hole after he returns.

I have a bad feeling Bill Hall stinks the joint up again and we are forced to trade him for a new 3rd Basemen at the trade deadline. His poor response to being moved combined with his expensive contract, average defense and terrible OBP is expendable.

I look at this guy and I cant help but think he was a one year wonder. The money hes gonna be making in a few years is rediculous if he continues his production from last year. I know the love affair with the guy around here but I just dont share the same enthusiasm. He strikes out way too much in clutch situations for my liking.

@WiscoSportsNut

When Bill Hall first came up I thought of him of nothing more than a utility infielder. Was he ever considered a top prospect of the Brewers? I was pleasantly surprised with the success that he had in 2005 and 2006, but I don't ever see him putting up 2006 numbers again.

Community Moderator

Braun's numbers stunned me last year. I'll predict Braun will put up about the same numbers as last year but in 150 games this time. I will also suggest that Corey Hart may have a statistically better year than Braun.

Too many candidates for disappointing pitcher of the year. Gallardo is still too young to be an ace next year, I predict he finishes about .500 with an ERA around 4. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I like to think he can regain his old form as well. I dont ask much outa him. If he can do this Id be thrilled.

- Dont kill us on defense at 3rd like Braun
- Raise his BA to around .270
- Hit 20 homers
- Walk more than 40 times. Last years .315 OBP was horrible.
- Put the ball into play more with RISP.

I dont think thats too much to ask from Bill Hall. Since we didnt really address a high OBP type guy at the top of the lineup we need the rest of the team to increase there plate disclipine. Bill Hall and JJ Hardy are 2 guys we really need to get better in that area.

@WiscoSportsNut

Archived