Brewer Fanatic

Eric Hinske

Rotoworld is saying Hinske is close to signing but doesn't specify where.

Does anyone think Hinske might have more value giving Hall an occasional day off vs. tough righthanders, and pinch hitting than Gross now has behind guys (Hart and Braun) who'll play virtually every day?

Honestly, I think the last thing the team would want to do now would be to acquire another left-handed hitter. And honestly, I don't really trust that he has the defensive chops to play an adequate 3B. I'd say if Gross weren't on the roster, I'd be interested in perhaps giving him a major-league minimum deal, but I think they should pass on this Wisconsin boy.

"If Gross weren't on the roster".

I don't see either a guy like Hinske or Gross as "must haves" on any roster as I certainly wouldn't want both either. It just seems to me offensively they are pretty similar. One is behind two core offensive players and likely not to get many starts while the other is a guy who was at least adequate earlier in his career at 3B (.953 career FP), and would be behind a guy in Hall who struggled at times offensively especially vs. right handed pitching last year to the point he was benched at times.

So my point is everything being equal as the roster is constituted isn't a lefthanded backup at 3B more valuable than a lefthanded corner OF backup?

You may be right that Hinske is too far removed from playing 3B to be considered adequate.

While Hinske hits RHPs better than LHPs, his numbers vs. RHPs are just ok (his numbers vs. LHPs are pitiful). I like Hinske's versatility, but as Brian noted, he doesn't have a very good glove and is more of a corner OF/1B candidate than someone to back up Hall at 3B (which is what Craig Counsell and Joe Dillon will be doing more than anyone).

"If Gross weren't on the roster".

I don't see either a guy like Hinske or Gross as "must haves" on any roster as I certainly wouldn't want both either. It just seems to me offensively they are pretty similar. One is behind two core offensive players and likely not to get many starts while the other is a guy who was at least adequate earlier in his career at 3B (.953 career FP), and would be behind a guy in Hall who struggled at times offensively especially vs. right handed pitching last year to the point he was benched at times.

So my point is everything being equal as the roster is constituted isn't a lefthanded backup at 3B more valuable than a lefthanded corner OF backup?

You may be right that Hinske is too far removed from playing 3B to be considered adequate.

The Brewers already have a left-handed backup 3B, Craig Counsell. As far as Gross vs. Hinske goes, Gross is 2 years younger, so I expect him to progress more than Hinske would. Gross is already under contract.

I don't know... I just don't see Hinske as a 3B anymore. His last serious playing time at that position was in 2004. To me, it's a total lateral move, or even a slight downgrade.

I guess I like the move because before last year he wasn't a complete disaster and he can come off the bench and offer relief at First, Third and corner OF positions.

Worst case scenario we have a LH bat with some pop off the bench rather than Craig "automatic out" Counsell being our only option at third. I also think people are banking a bit too heavily on Joe Dillon who was a very old Minor Leaguer, suddenly being a steady MLB regular.

Rp

It's because, for the three years he played at AAA (2004, '05 & '07) prior to hitting MLB last year, he absolutely destroyed the pitching. Not just 'good enough to make the Show', but 'annihilated'.

He maintained an OPS over 1.000 covering nearly 1,100 AB. While I agree it's only relevant to note that it was as a 28, 29, & 31 y-o., but there really isn't any question as to whether or not Crazy Joe can hit... which is obviously the biggest factor in whether or not one makes MLB.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"The Brewers already have a left handed backup at third, Craig Counsell"

That statement makes my point Brian. Counsell is on the downside of a career as a weak hitting, marginal middle infielder. If the Brewers are forced to play him at 3B, they are cooked. "Gross...I expect him to progress more". Gross isn't going to progress if he stays in a Brewer uniform and plays behind Braun and Hart. In that scenario, he doesn't get more than 130 AB's. Gross is 28. He's not going to be a major league starter any time soon.

Hinske is 30. He's played 435 major league games at 3B and more than that in the minors. Bill Hall has played 84 major league games at 3B, and rarely if ever played there in the minor leagues.

But it's not just that he's "behind" someone(s), per se - he's the 4th OF, and 4th OFs tend to get plenty of reserve PT over the course of a 162-gm. season. He'll likely see all the starting action v. RHP in CF or RF until Cameron's 25 games are up - maybe 75-ish AB. The chances of there only being > 80 AB for Gross the rest of the way in 2008 are really, really slim.

He'll probably be right around the 200-ish AB he's gotten in his two years as a member of the Crew. If anything, 2008 will likely yeild his career high for AB with us, since he'll get that boost during the first 25 games. 250 is certainly not out of the question.

I don't think Gwynn is going to be anywhere but Nashville... not sure what you're basing that on unless TGJ is out of options. Kapler will get the AB v. LHP that don't go to Gross imo. I don't see any way that Gross isn't our 4th OF. If it's not him, it's Kapler, but Kapler has the Mench-LHP crushing factor that limits his effectiveness.

Our bench at this point, by my guess: Gross, Dillon, Counsell, Munson/Rivera, Kapler.

No room for a no-hit, avg.-fldg. CF there. Counsell will be just fine as a PR (Gwynn'd be better in that role imo).

"The Brewers already have a left handed backup at third, Craig Counsell"

That statement makes my point Brian. Counsell is on the downside of a career as a weak hitting, marginal middle infielder. If the Brewers are forced to play him at 3B, they are cooked. "Gross...I expect him to progress more". Gross isn't going to progress if he stays in a Brewer uniform and plays behind Braun and Hart. In that scenario, he doesn't get more than 130 AB's. Gross is 28. He's not going to be a major league starter any time soon.

Hinske is 30. He's played 435 major league games at 3B and more than that in the minors. Bill Hall has played 84 major league games at 3B, and rarely if ever played there in the minor leagues.

I'll re-iterate that Hinske hasn't played 3B full time since 2004. Given that he also has shaky numbers and that we're already committed to paying Cousnell, I just don't see the handful of at-bats that Hinske would get over Counsell to be worth eating one salary and taking on another.

Back injury in 2002 (age 26) led him to retire. '02 was his first year in the Twins org., after 5 with KC's farm system (KC drafted him). His retirement lasted all of 2003, and then he returned via the Marlins' system in 2004.

JB12, I find myself wanting to root for Kapler. But seriously, I think the odds of him making the team are long at best, with perhaps the two best things going for him being 1. Doug Melvin likes the guy, & 2. all the things about his stats that made him a favorite on this board a few years back.

Esp. if the Brewers are still committed to Tony Gwynn for a while, I don't see how Kapler makes this team unless the Brewers determine that the single best thing for Tony Gwynn's development is to be playing every day in AAA instead of 2-3 AB per week as the 5th OF, and in that case that it's better to make Kapler rather than Gwynn figure out how to stay sharp while playing so little.

Your logic on Eric Hinske still makes some sense, only too many what ifs would be needed to make it happen. If Craig Counsell had only signed a one-year contract last year, then maybe there's room to realistically consider Hinske. Then again, if Counsell hadn't been signed in the first place, we'd still have Cirillo.

Back injury in 2002 (age 26) led him to retire. '02 was his first year in the Twins org., after 5 with KC's farm system (KC drafted him). His retirement lasted all of 2003, and then he returned via the Marlins' system in 2004.

Yea, not to mention that he also had an experimental back surgery that apparently fixed the problem. At that point however, he was nearing 30, and for a team that was quite clearly looking to develop young players to win for the future with Dan Uggla at 2nd base, his main position. So, he got stuck for a couple more years when he very clearly should have been in the big leagues.

But hell, their loss is our gain, and we're happy to have him. Maybe he'll prove to be worthy of a full time job by hitting about .340 this year in a part time role, who knows?

I don't know if you could create a better PH from scratch. He's had plenty of ABs in his career, has a very solid approach, doesn't K much, BBs enough, and has some pop to boot. Imo he's not dissimilar from 'Cirillo with more power'. I think he's going to be really valuable for this team. I'm tellin' ya, this 2008 team may be the best group of talent to be together in Milwaukee for years...

http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=103022
Ever seen a grown man cry because his favourite team lost a playoff game and his favourite player was the goat? And ever see a grown man's tears turn into icicles? Well, sources swear all of the above happened Sunday evening to Eric Hinske, the former Blue Jay who lives near Green Bay and is a lifelong fan of the Packers. Hinske was at the Pack's 23-20 overtime loss to the New York Giants in Sunday's NFC final and I'm told that, when the quarterback he worships, Brett Favre, threw an interception that led to the Giants' game-winning field goal, tears literally streamed down the baseball player's face. It was so cold that, I'm told, those tears became icy and wound up being picked off his face.

It was so cold that, I'm told, those tears became icy and wound up being picked off his face.

In contrast, Counsell is so gritty that his tears come out already solidified, much like little salty nails, and he picks them up himself and uses them in lieu of a toothpick.

Archived