Brewer Fanatic

Norton 360

LouisEly

I know there's a contingent of people here who adamently prefer "free" anti-virus software, but this is for a friend's computer and this friend is very computer illiterate and would not put anything on her computer that she does not trust or that requires any effort. She installed Norton 360 and claims that her computer is running very slowly now. Part of the problem is that she also had SpySweeper on there and didn't remove it before installing Norton 360, so I took SpySweeper out because Norton 360 has anti-spyware and her subscription was expired. That has seemed to make it run faster, but my question is whether Norton 360 will bog down computers like prior version of Norton Anti-Virus did. I know prior versions of Norton A/V were notorious for bogging down computers, and I had my own issues with Norton 2005 or 2006 (thus the switch to Computer Associates - it was free after rebate with the purchase of tax software from Staples). Anyone have any experience w/Norton 360? My CA software does not bog down the computer at all, but it takes well over an hour to scan my computer for viruses.

(BTW - this past week Staples had that same deal where you got your choice of anti-virus/anti-spyware software - Norton, MacAfee, or Computer Associates - free after rebate with the purchase of tax software, along with several other titles, so with the purchase of TurboTax Deluxe I got CA Anti-virus/anti-spyware and Quicken 2008 Deluxe free after rebate. And the CA software comes with $1500 of protection against software failure to detect/remove viruses. Bet that "free" anti-virus software doesn't come with that! So for $40 I got TurboTax Deluxe Federal & State, Quicken 2008 Deluxe, and CA Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware - I consider that a heckuva bargain.)

Norton has improved dramatically when it comes to bogging down your computer. The reason its so slow isn't necessarily Norton itself but rather how much you have on your computer.

I did an update and a scan all in less then 10 minutes (about 7-8 minutes) and it took a few spyware in the process. What you should be doing is looking at programs that are open upon startup and during your normal use. When you got spare time delete what you don't use and especially the junk that's never used.

Do you have Vista by chance?

Archived