Your '06 Huntsville Stars

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.al.com/stars/huntsvil...amp;coll=1

Education ongoing for Palmisano

Stars' prized catcher learning lessons both on and off field

By MARK McCARTER

Huntsville Times Sports Staff, markcolumn@aol.com

Lou Palmisano was painstakingly taping a small, brief message onto a board in the Stars clubhouse. "What Would Chuck Norris Do?'' it read.

It's part of the inside joke du jour, based on a flurry of silly Internet humor about the martial arts tough guy. As in "If Chuck Norris jumped in water, he wouldn't get wet. The water would get Chuck Norrised." Baseball humor has never claimed to be sophisticated. Just has to be contagious.

Moments later, Palmisano unlocked his massive white tough-as-Chuck-Norris Hummer H2, sitting in the stadium concourse with other teammates' cars. He was going to go for a sit with a reporter.

The H2 - "you can run over anything in this," he exclaimed - is loaded. All the space-age gizmos. Cool wheels. Navigation system. And, in the back seat, the latest copy of FHM magazine, where his girlfriend Katherine Akra is photographed with some fellow Miami Heat dancers.

Not a bad life for the Huntsville Stars' 24-year-old catcher from Utica, N.Y., by way of Ft. Lauderdale, who is batting .250, but is second on the club in on-base percentage and has two homers and 10 RBIs after 23 starts.

Palmisano was a third-round draft pick in 2003 and considered the Brewers' top catching prospect. That's put him under a microscope, especially "playing a premium position,'' said Stars manager Don Money. He can't escape the attention, even inside his family.

"My mom (Denise) is a big Internet stat-rat," he said. "She sends me stuff all the time. I open up something, I don't know if it's an article about me or a letter from my mom.''

There was plenty to buzz about in his first year of pro ball. Palmisano batted .391 and was named MVP of the short-season Pioneer League with 43 RBIs in 47 games. "I was truly blessed to have a year like that," he said. "But that's not going to happen every year.''

The numbers shrunk in '04 at Single-A to .293, 65 RBIs in 113 games, then again to .255 last year, the pitching getting better the higher the climb.

"Last year,'' he said, "was definitely the worst year as far as numbers, but I probably learned the most.'' The main lesson: "You don't hit to catch, you catch to (be able to) hit.''

"He's much better as a catcher,'' said Money, who was his manager in 2004 when Palmisano learned other lessons, more painfully. "He's grown up a lot (since then),'' Money said. "He was one of those guys who always pushed the rules.''

"I was a bit of a party animal," Palmisano admitted. "That can get you in trouble. One night in particular.''

Late in the season, Palmisano and three teammates were out well past curfew, walking down a street in Peoria, Ill., after leaving a club. They were accosted. Pitcher Greg Kloosterman was stabbed, but not seriously wounded.

"It was a wake-up call,'' said Palmisano. "You know how easy someone's life can be taken away. Some guys starts a fight, pulls out a knife - thank God the guy that got stabbed didn't die.''

Maybe Chuck Norris would have fought - and won.

But in the real world, where life follows baseball in that "there are no guarantees in this game," a scary early morning in Illinois reminded Palmisano "it's all about putting yourself in better situations.''

Maybe that's behind the wheel of an H2 - or maybe by learning how to get his hands firmly wrapped around the wheel steering his career.

Had to take the bait http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif -- with all due respect, Cap'n Lou or Sweet Lou or whatever...

Miami Heat Cheerleaders Page:

www.nba.com/heat/dance/da...index.html

As of this post, the Heat's home page's "Wallpaper Download of the Week" features Miss Katherine:

www.nba.com/heat/

Katherine Akra began dancing at the age of four and has been dancing ever since. Katherine has traveled all over training and performing in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Dallas and the Bahamas. Katherine graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in the top 10 percent of her class and was a member of the student council and the National Honor Society for 4 years. During the summer of 1998, Katherine toured the US with the StarPower's PowerPak, having been selected from thousands of dancers from all over the country. Most recently, Katherine has earned a Bachelor's Degree in Advertising from the University of Florida and will continue her education by attending American Intercontinental University this fall. While at the University of Florida, Katherine was a "Dazzler" for 4 years, performing for Basketball games, Volleyball games, Midnight Madness and Gator Growl. Katherine was also the choreographer and costume designer for the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority dance team. Katherine is very excited to start a long and exciting career with Dance Theatre.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.al.com/sports/huntsvi...amp;coll=1

Stars fans have a ball, thanks to lefty

Rohlicek takes it upon himself to keep rain-soaked crowd happy

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

Scanning the scant Joe Davis Stadium crowd Tuesday night, Russ Rohlicek noticed several antsy youngsters wondering if the rain delay would end.

So the 26-year-old Huntsville Stars relief pitcher decided to stir up some excitement. He grabbed a cart full of batting-practice balls and began pitching them into the stands.

Quickly, the cluster of kids grew, started screaming and holding up their gloves with the slightest of Rohlicek's prompts.

On a night when there wouldn't be any baseball, many youngsters still left the ballpark with memories.

"I've always been good at stuff like that," Rohlicek said. "We've had delays and crowds a lot bigger than that at other places I've been, and I've started waves, things like that. It entertains the crowd, and it entertains me.

"It's fun."

His teammates and coaches say Rohlicek lives for fun. He often livens the clubhouse, and though he was a late addition to this year's Stars arriving in late April, he fits in quite nicely.

Rohlicek is known as being the team's Court Jester, and during the current 12-game losing streak, attitudes like his have been therapeutic.

"I'd say he's pretty much the clown of the clubhouse," Stars infielder Jeff Eure said. "It seems like right now, nothing's helping, but he keeps everybody on their toes, for sure."

The left-hander also has done a good job keeping opponents on their heels. Rohlicek is 0-1 with a 1.52 earned run average in 16 appearances so far and has been a dependable cog in Huntsville's bullpen.

That is, unless he's facing his old mates from West Tenn, as he did on Monday. Half of the runs, hits, walks and hit-batsmen Rohlicek has allowed in his 23 2/3 innings this year have come against the team he played for in 2003-04.

Back then, he was a rising star in the Chicago Cubs organization.

Having been released by the Cubs near the end of spring training this year, Rohlicek is starting to feel some career urgency.

When he was exploring his options after being let go, the Milwaukee Brewers organization sounded appealing.

These days, there are worse jobs than a pitcher in the Brewers' system. They've already called up Joe Winkelsas and Carlos Villanueva from Huntsville for major-league stints this year.

"That was one of the kickers for me," Rohlicek said. "They told me I was going to go back to the Southern League after being in Triple-A last year. That was disappointing, but they've told me - and I think they've shown it - you're only one call away here."

Until that call comes, Rohlicek will try to keep the Stars loose, even during losing times. After Tuesday's game was rained out, he coordinated a dinner with teammates.

He has told pitching coach Rich Sauveur he can pitch every night, so even though he threw Monday, he could pitch in tonight's doubleheader with West Tenn slated to start at 6:05.

He'll certainly be into something.

"I've only had him for a month," Sauveur said of his only lefty in the pen, "but he's been a pleasure to work with."

Even when he's throwing out expensive baseballs.

Rohlicek didn't want to say how many he tossed into the stands for fear of being billed. Sauveur just chuckled when told of his pitcher's rain-delay antics.

"We'll figure out how many he threw up there," he said with a joking grin, "because they're $8 a piece."

I vote we change his name to Global Warming Lou, or perhaps Gas Guzzler Lou

you're not going to find many in professional sports who don't drive big vehicles if they a) had a decent signing bonus, or b) make a decent salary

Remember, most American born baseball players are from the country, so they put their money in a nice SUV or pickup. They grew up needing functional vehicles rather than economical ones. The Latin and African American players tend to have vehicles more like fully loaded Escalades. For our Fall League squad in '04, nearly every car in the lot was a pickup or small SUV. This past year, most of them were luxury SUV's. And some journeymen will get things like a Suburban because they know they can literally live in them. I remember reading about Bronswell Patrick having one, and I remember seeing Jimmy Osting in his.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hungry for another taste

Huntsville Times

Contact Mark McCarter at markcolumn@aol.com

Stars pitcher Carlos Villanueva recently earned a brief promotion to the major leagues with the Milwaukee Brewers. He pitched one inning on May 23 and remained with the Brewers until early this past week.

Villanueva is back with the Stars, and we go one-on-one this morning with the 22-year-old from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Q: Was it a surprise to hear about the promotion?

Villanueva: It was a surprise. I was down here getting ready to pitch the next day and I got the call and had to get packed.

Q: How did you find out?

Villanueva: It was actually Dave Yeager, our trainer, who called me. He's like, "How do you feel?" "I feel fine." I said, "You better have good news, to call me on my off-day."

He's like, "Yeah, you're going to go meet up with the team in Cincinnati." I was thinking Triple-A. But Triple-A doesn't play in Cincinnati. I was going to (join) Milwaukee. I told him to hold on for a second. I had to breathe a little bit.

Q: How quickly did you have to move?

Villanueva: It was right away. (Yeager) told me at 12 o'clock and my flight left at 3:30. I had to get a bag, pack a couple of nice shirts, dress pants, then come here (to the ballpark) and get my glove and bag, and get to the airport.

Q: Did you even have time to be nervous about it?

Villanueva: On the plane (I did). I thought about it a lot. This is what I've been dreaming all my life. I was not really nervous. Just happy to be there.

Q: Who did you face?

Villanueva: Felipe Lopez (was the first hitter). I struck him out. Then Brandon Phillips. Ken Griffey Jr. Rich Aurilia. Griffey got a single. But it's Ken Griffey Jr.

Q: What was the most memorable thing?

Villanueva: Just getting there. Getting to the Cincinnati stadium. It's a beautiful stadium. When I was warming up (to enter the game in the eighth inning), I was thinking to myself I was actually going in there. Just that walk from the bullpen. It's in the right-field corner. Just walking from the bullpen to the mound, it felt like a lifetime right there.

Q: Then did you get nervous?

Villanueva: Not when I got on the mound. I was when I was warming up. When I got to the mound, I blocked everything out and concentrated on Chad Moeller, the catcher. After the third out, I kinda breathed everything out.

Q: What did your Milwaukee teammates say to you?

Villanueva: Everybody was good to me. Matt Wise. Billy Hall. Geoff Jenkins. They're all good guys. (Manager) Ned Yost and the coaching staff. They told me I did a good job and I deserved to be there. It's something, whether it's one day or the rest of my career.

Q: Did you bring back any souvenirs?

Villanueva: My hat. But not that much other stuff. A couple of things from the hotel that remind me. I took some pictures. The stadium. The hotel room. It was unbelievably nice. (Pictures with) a couple of players, Jose Capellan and Jorge De La Rosa.

Q: Does the little taste make you even hungrier?

Villanueva: Yeah, but you can't really get too caught up in it. Now that I'm back here, I know how it feels and I definitely want to be up there. But I can't put extra pressure on myself every time I throw, where, "OK, I have to do this. I have to be almost perfect. The next time I pitch might be the next time I get called back up." If I do well, I'll be there. When the call comes, it comes.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Current Stars are not the franchise's worst statistically

By MARK McCARTER

When The Streak began to expand out of proportion, like some horror-movie creature growing larger and more grotesque with each passing moment, one of the Huntsville Stars players offered an anonymous assessment.

"What's wrong with us?'' he asked rhetorically. "We stink."

It was August 1987.

Auburn was embroiled in a controversy over the return of starting quarterback Jeff Burger.

Alabama's new coach, Bill Curry, was gleefully proclaiming, "I've been treated very well by the Alabama people in my travels around the state."

And the Huntsville Stars were in the midst of an unprecedented nine-game losing streak.

They tried everything to kill The Streak, from wearing road jerseys for a home game to a team postgame party where, by gosh, maybe they could at least drown The Streak in cheap beer.

It was the worst stretch of losing for a franchise in only its third season of existence.

It would be the first of four times a Huntsville Stars team would lose nine in a row, a record obliterated by this year's club, which ended a 13-game skid Friday night, two short of the Southern League record.

Worst ever?

Certainly to continue on the same pace - 21-33 through its first 54 games - this year's Stars would post the worst record in franchise history. But is this really the worst Huntsville team ever?

No.

Aside from subjective analyses, there is statistical evidence to support that. None of the current starters has an ERA higher that 4.05. Corey Thurman and Jeff Housman are in the top 10 in ERA.

The defense has committed fewer than an error per game. A year ago, the Stars made 161 errors in 139 games. The '91 team made 213 errors on the way to 83 losses.

It's been a simple matter that "we can't hit nothing,'' according to manager Don Money.

The Stars are full of young players struggling to make adjustments. Four regulars - Drew Anderson, Jeff Eure, Steve Moss and Lou Palmisano are in their first Double-A season; shortstop Ozzie Chavez and third baseman Adam Heether had only 99 Double-A games between them before '06.

They are clearly pressing at the plate, often overanalyzing or losing confidence in the abilities that got them this far. As Milwaukee roving hitting instructor Jim Skaalen put it last week, his job wasn't to repair swings but "to massage some bruised egos."

The worst Stars team?

Perhaps the 1988 club that went 59-85, the low-water mark, coming after three consecutive playoff appearances.

Perhaps the 1991 club that was 61-83, a bunch most comparable to this year's inexperienced lineup, with a team batting average of .231. The nucleus returned in '92 and went to the playoffs.

Perhaps the 1999 club, at least in the second half. The first year of the Milwaukee affiliation began nicely, tying West Tenn for the first-half title at 38-32. But the Stars went in the tank, going 26-44 and losing 19 of their last 26.

Perhaps it was the 1996 team, which had identical 33-37 records in each half and left manager Dick Scott at season's end sighing, "I'm happy this season's over with.''

Streak-snapping

Even before anybody knew to call it a "walk-off homer," Steve Cox hit one. Bottom of the ninth, July 28, 1996, a Sunday night against the Memphis Chicks. Cox, the Huntsville first baseman, hit a two-run shot to end a nine-run skid.

"The clubhouse is a lot happier right now,'' Cox said. "It's been bad around here for about a week and a half."

The 1995 Stars also had a nine-game losing streak. They would suffer only the third losing season in 11 years. (Barring a dramatic turnaround this year, there will be six losing seasons in the 11 years since.) At one point, first baseman Joel Wolff described his team as "a bunch of big, fat, toothless old women."

The ninth loss would take place in front of a season-high 10,452, drawn to Joe W. Davis Stadium by The Chicken, but the following evening, Tony Batista cranked a two-run homer to help beat Birmingham and end the misery.

The 1987 Stars seemed the least likely losers, coming off successive championships (the league title in '85, a division crown in '86).

They were on a nine-game winning streak in late July, including a sweep at Greenville and a series-opener at Charlotte, and were leading the division.

Then the Orioles pitching stymied them three in a row. Greenville came to Huntsville and won four straight; David Justice had a two-run double in the ninth to win one of them. They went to Chattanooga and sandwiched a pair of losses around the team party.

Back home on Aug. 7, Pat Dietrick, an outfielder with a then-stylish mullet cut, homered in the second inning, his first of the season. It triggered a landslide. The Stars beat 11-1 Chattanooga as Dave Otto pitched a four-hit complete game.

Afterward, manager Brad Fischer was relieved, but still a bit weary.

"I've had enough of streaks,'' Fischer said.

A sentiment to be shared by many of his successors.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Press Release:

Link for Tim Dillard photo, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...newsId=863

Dillard Receives League Award

The Southern League has announced that Stars pitcher Tim Dillard has been named the BC Fast Pain Relief Pitcher of the Week for May 29-June 4. Dillard went 1-0 with a 0.77 ERA in two starts last week to earn the honor. He follows Khalid Ballouli as the second Stars pitcher to win the award this year.

On May 29th against the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, Dillard tossed five scoreless innings, striking out two while allowing just six hits and not walking a batter. On June 3rd at Birmingham, he continued his dominance, going 6.2 innings and allowing just one earned run on six hits and one walk, and struck out a season high seven Barons.

Dillard, who has allowed two or less runs in nine of his twelve starts this season, was drafted by the Brewers in the 34th round of the 2002 draft and is 3-4 with a 3.53 ERA this season. The 6'4" right-hander was named the Brewers Minor League Pitcher of the Year last year after going 12-10 with a 2.48 ERA in 28 starts for Brevard County. He also led the Florida State League last year in innings pitched (185.1), ERA, shutouts (2), and complete games (5).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Speaking of Huntsville press releases, there was a nice Q&A with the Stars' Media Relations Director Bryan Neece, who co-broadcasts home games with Brett Pollock.

Link (page 4 of Adobe document), text below:

www.southernleague.com/pr...ue%204.pdf

Bryan Neece, the Director of Media Relations, is in his third year with the Huntsville Stars. He not only oversees the media efforts of the Stars, but is a part of their broadcasting team, and also works with group sales.

How did you get your start in professional baseball?

Three years ago I was working for a radio station here in Huntsville and I knew Bryan Dingo, then the General Manager of the Stars. There was a job opening for a Media Relations Assistant and he encouraged me to apply. I sent in my resume and they hired me and it went from there.

What does an average day look like for you when the Stars are at home?

It's busy! The first thing I do when I get here in the morning is make sure the stat packs are ready to go for the managers. I also check my e-mails and make sure everything is up to date and everyone is ready to go. I update the rosters if there are any moves and get the proper things to the proper people.

What about when the Stars are away?

I do a lot of the same things when the Stars are away, it's just a much more relaxed atmosphere. I make sure all the player information is right and make any necessary changes. I have to make sure that I send everything to the proper people. I just have to keep up to date with everything.

What are some of the things that you do to promote the team in Huntsville?

The key is to ensure that everyone in Huntsville knows what's going on. I make sure they know when we are home, what time we play, what promotions are going on. I definitely want people to know when we are having fireworks. Everyone loves those. I try to prevent people from saying, "we didn't know that was happening, if we had known that, then we would've come."

What are some things that you have done that are above and beyond to help a member of the media get their story?

You have to go as far as you can a lot of the time. There have been a couple of times where someone wants to talk to a player and do a feature story and the player or the media person is not having their best day. You have to be able to find the balance between them and walk the line to help make the interview the best you can.

What are some of the main things you do during the off-season?

Sales! I try to get new accounts. I get with businesses that are new to the Huntsville area and might not know what the Stars have to offer. I want to make sure they know exactly what we do here. I also meet with our old accounts and try to renew them. It's a lot of meeting with people and fielding phone calls.

What is your favorite part of your job?

My favorite part is definitely game time and also just getting to interact with the players. I really enjoy being able to watch them succeed whether it's at our level or the AAA level or even in the Majors. I enjoy the opportunity I get to meet a lot of new people, players, and coaches.

Who have been some of the best players you've been able to watch?

Ben Sheets, Tony Gwynn, Jr., Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks. Those guys are blessed with a lot of talent and they are showing that with the Brewers right now.

I hear you are a big University of Tennessee fan. Do people give you a hard time for being such a huge Vols' fan and working in Bear Bryant nation?

Yes, definitely! Matt Price, whose office is across from mine, is a huge 'Bama fan. Come the third Saturday of October, we have a lot of fun around here. I get a lot of ribbing, but I think we've won something like 8 of the last 11 games, so I have plenty of room to do some talking.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Press Release:

Three Stars Named All-Stars

Huntsville, AL- The Southern League has announced the rosters for the North Division All-Star team and three Huntsville Stars have been selected to the team. Catcher Lou Palmisano, along with pitchers Tim Dillard and Corey Thurman will participate in the game that will be played on July 10 at Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery, Alabama.

Palmisano, who is in his first season with the Stars, is hitting .240 with three home runs and 21 RBI in 58 games. He was selected by the Brewers in the third round of the 2003 draft and was named to the Pioneer League All-Star team that year while playing for Helena. Palmisano was also chosen to play in the Florida State League All-Star game last season.

Dillard, who is also in his first season with Huntsville, is 5-4 with a 3.24 ERA in 15 starts and one appearance in relief. He was named as the Brewers Minor League Pitcher of the Year last season and was tabbed as a mid-season all-star in the Florida State League. He led that league in games started (28), innings pitched (185.1), shutouts (2), and complete games (5). The right-hander was selected by the Brewers in the 34th round of the 2002 draft.

Thurman, the veteran of the Stars pitching staff, is 2-6 with a 2.45 ERA in 12 starts. He leads the team with 57 strikeouts and ranks fifth in the league in ERA. The right-hander was a Texas League All-Star in 2001 with Wichita and pitched in the major leagues over the next two seasons for the Toronto Blue Jays. Thurman was signed by the Brewers as a minor league free agent in January of this year.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The folks at SouthernLeague.com do a really nice job -- here'a recent offering:

www.southernleague.com/main.shtml

NINE INNINGS WITH ....

LOU PALMISANO

HUNTSVILLE STARS

The Huntsville Stars' backstop is the Milwaukee Brewers' top catching prospect, according to Baseball America. Southern Bases caught up with the talented receiver recently.

What are your goals for the 2006 season?

To have a positive year and to learn as much as I can. I want to walk away from this season knowing and understanding more about the game than I did last year. I want our team to win. I go out and play to win every day. I'd like to take another step further in my goal of getting up to Milwaukee.

Are you working more on your hitting approach or on how to call a game behind the plate?

A little bit of everything. There is always something new you can work on every day or every series. My main job is to handle the pitching staff and to make sure that they're comfortable on the mound and that they're getting their job done.

You were a non-roster invitee to big league camp this spring. Can you describe that experience?

It was a great experience to get up there and watch the guys that have been in the big leagues for awhile to see how they conduct themselves and what their day-to-day activities are. It's great to get the treatment up there that the big league guys get. To get a taste of what it's like up there makes you want to get up there that much quicker.

The Pioneer League named you the Most Valuable Player after the 2003 season. How did it feel to be an MVP in your first professional season?

That was great. I couldn't ask for more out of that year. It was my first year and I was a little nervous and didn't know what to expect. It was a blessing to come out with that year. It made me a lot more relaxed going into my next couple years.

You played at St. Thomas Aquinas High School where the team was runner-up in the 2001 Florida State Championship. What was that experience like?

We lost on a balk, which was pretty brutal. It was a great experience to go to the championship though. I just wish we could have won.

What advice would you give to children who want to be catchers?

It's a great position to play. You control every part of the game. I would tell them to stick with it and don't change, just be a catcher.

What is your favorite memory in your young professional career?

I've got to say being named the MVP of the Pioneer League. That's the one that stands out the most in my mind. It was huge. I'm never going to forget that year. To go through the draft and then to start your career, that whole experience is life-changing. To be able to do that and then come out with an MVP award is great.

Besides baseball, what sports do you like and which teams do you follow?

I am a Miami Hurricane football and baseball fan and a Florida Gator basketball fan for college sports. I'm also a Miami Heat fan as far as professional sports go. I'm forced to be a Florida Gator basketball fan because my girlfriend went to school there and danced for the team. Now, my girlfriend dances for the Heat. She is getting really excited now with the team in the Finals.

You like Italian food. Can you cook any of it or are you happy to just eat it?

I'm learning how to cook. I can make a pretty decent chicken parmesan and I can do Tortellini. My mom is a big cook so whenever I go back home I try to pick up on some stuff. I'll definitely eat everything she cooks.

What do you usually do in the offseason?

I relax and work out. I spend time with my brother and just take it easy and get ready for the next season. I'm also forced to go to basketball games, not that that's exactly a hard thing.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Southern League All--Stars shine a bit less

Reputations aren't as big, but there's plenty of talent

By MARK McCARTER

The Southern League All-Star Game may lack some luster of past years, when mega-prospects filled up the rosters. The "can't-miss kids" are few and far between for Monday's game at Montgomery's Riverwalk Stadium.

Only 18 of the 46 All-Stars are ranked by Baseball America in their respective organizations' top 30 prospects list; none of these All-Stars is on the magazine's list of top 100 prospects in the game.

Nonetheless, the SL All-Star Game isn't intended to be a showcase for those considered to have potential somewhere down the road. It's to showcase and reward those who have produced at this level.

To that end, witness:

Chattanooga's Joey Votto, whose 19 homers have him on pace to surpass the 30-homer total, something only 30 Southern League hitters have done since '71, and who is gunning for a Triple Crown. He also leads the league with 56 RBIs and a .327 average. His league-leading 109 hits have him in position to threaten ex-Lookout Kevin Rhomberg's 25-year-old league record of 187.

West Tenn's Chris Walker, with 34 stolen bases and a .309 average and 104 hits.

Montgomery's Jim Magrane, with a league-leading 10 wins and, having pitched Friday, the likely honor of starting for the South.

Mississippi's Matt Wright, with a 2.19 ERA and seven wins.

Chattanooga's David Shafer, with 23 saves, on pace for a league record.

Among the All-Stars are three Huntsville Stars - pitchers Tim Dillard and Corey Thurman and catcher Lou Palmisano.

Dillard is 6-5, ending a long stretch of effective pitching with a disastrous relief stint on Friday. Thurman is 2-8, but has a remarkable 2.62 ERA. Palmisano is batting a modest .232, but that's good for sixth among everyday catchers. He's certainly considered much higher when it comes to defense.

As Huntsville manager Don Money says, "Palmisano's numbers aren't great, but he's hitting OK and his defense has really been solid.''

The original North starting lineup was shaken up Thursday when Chattanooga third baseman Aaron Herr was promoted. Moving into that spot will be West Tenn's Miguel Negron, who completes an infield of Chattanooga first baseman Votto and Tennessee second baseman Danny Richar and shortstop Jerry Gil. Tennessee's Miguel Montero is the starting catcher, with ex-Star Noochie Varner, now with Chattanooga, in the outfield along with West Tenn's Nic Jackson and Walker. West Tenn's Scott Moore is the DH.

Reserves are Palmisano, Tennessee's Jamie D'Antona, West Tenn's Eric Patterson and Carolina's Jose Campusano, a late-minute fill-in for injured teammate Alejandro De Aza.

The North pitching staff includes Dillard, Thurman, West Tenn's Rocky Cherry, Juan Mateo, J.R. Mathes and Chris Shaver, Tennessee's Ross Ohlendorf and Chattanooga's Jon Coutlangus and David Shafer.

Host Montgomery starts third baseman Wes Bankston and second baseman Elliott Johnson on the South squad. Shortstop Chin-Lung Hu, first baseman Craig Brazell, utility infielder Tony Abreau and outfielder Justin Ruggiano represent Jacksonville.

Mobile's George Kottaras catches while Birmingham DH Corey Smith and outfielder Ricardo Nanita round out the lineup. Either Mississippi's Barbaro Canizares, a replacement for Jacksonville's Wilkin Ruan, or Mobile's Drew Macias will be in the other outfield spot. Reserves are Mobile's Luis Cruz and Montgomery catcher Ryan Christianson.

The South pitchers are Jacksonville's Mark Alexander, Casey Hoorelbeke and T.J. Nall, Birmingham's Lance Broadway, B.J. LaMura, Tyler Lumsden and Ethan Wassermann, Mississippi's Wright and Montgomery's Magrane.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

6:05 Central Time:

MiLB.com's Southern League All-Star Page:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;lid=l111

Live Gameday, box score and game log links available via this link later on:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...mp;lid=111

The game is not available via MiLB.TV.

Live and archived audio of the game:

If archived, be sure to select July 10th as your date...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thurman's back on track in career

All-Star pitching well even if record doesn't show it

By MARK McCARTER

Times Sports Staff markcolumn@aol.com

Eight losses, two wins - and going to an All-Star Game? Who did that math? You start sending 2-8 pitchers to an All-Star Game, next you start awarding Oscars to Keanu Reeves and Grammys to that guy in the infomercials who plays the pan-flute.

Thing is, for some voters, Corey Thurman of the Huntsville Stars was the first name scribbled on the Southern League All-Star ballot on the blank line next to P. So it is that he, along with fellow pitcher Tim Dillard and catcher Lou Palmisano, will be representing Huntsville in tonight's Southern League All-Star Game, a North vs. South affair, at Montgomery's Riverwalk Stadium (7:05).

Thurman may be the best eight-loss pitcher in Southern League history. He may be 2-8, but his ERA is a thong-sized 2.62, seventh-best in the league.

Trouble is, he's gotten less support than a Libertarian presidential candidate. The Stars' bats have been quiet all season, as a rule. When Thurman goes to the mound, they turn into Marcel Marceau.

In 13 starts in which he either got the loss or a no-decision, the Stars' offense scored 19 runs; five of those came Friday when the bullpen wasted a lead he built with five shutout innings. The Stars have been shut out three times in his starts.

"I don't like to think about that," Thurman said. "I just want to think about the zeros I want to put up. That's what matters. As long as I can keep the team in the game, that's all I can ask for from a personal standpoint."

The 27-year-old Thurman, a native of Augusta, Ga., who now lives in Warren, Mich., was snatched up by the Brewers as a free agent in the off-season. He's been with the Stars much of the season, save a brief assignment to Triple-A Nashville.

"He's been a very, very big plus for us both on the field and off the field," said pitching coach Rich Sauveur. "The young players take in the things he says, the way he prepares himself. Nobody works any harder. He's done a great job. He just hasn't gotten much support this year."

His status as a team leader is something that comes naturally for Thurman, who always seems to be a just-uncorked champagne bottle.

"I'm a loud person by nature," Thurman said. "My parents always tell me to be quiet, even now when I go home.

"Being yourself is the most important thing. I like to talk a lot. I love to laugh. It's just my personality. Hopefully I have some good things to say. The most important thing for the young guys to learn is that baseball is a grind and you have to be the same person every day. I think they would say Corey was the same person every day, and that's very important to me."

Thurman was a big-league pitcher in 2002 and 2003, for the Toronto Blue Jays, mostly working out of the bullpen. A story from 2002 that was related earlier this year bears repeating.

After Thurman walked in the winning run on a questionable call, The Toronto Sun reported how he "squatted on the ... mound for at least 20 seconds ... part anguish in letting his team down, part shock and part disbelief.''

"If only,'' the story said, "every player in the uniform cared as much.''

That hasn't changed. But so much else has. Thurman's shoulder went kaput. He eventually had surgery, having spiraled from the majors down to six games at Florence, Ky., in independent ball last season before going on the shelf.

"For me being able to come here and get a chance to throw every five days has been a blessing," Thurman said. "To go out and have an opportunity to pitch well and get recognized, no matter what your record is, no matter what, it's a positive."

It's not unusual to find players in Double-A who have big-league tenure seemingly more hungry to reach the majors again than those who have never been there. Thurman is among them.

"Having that taste in the big leagues makes me that much more hungry," he said. "The bottom line is that if you have talent to be able to play in the major leagues, why would you want to go sit at a computer all day? With the money they're throwing at guys in the majors, why would you not want to do that?

"I got a taste of it for one year and some change. I want to get back there and solidify myself for hopefully the next 10 or 15 years.

"I love the game. I don't want anything to change until I'm 40-something years old."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Times:

North All-Stars show Moore power

MONTGOMERY - Were it not for Chattanooga's Joey Votto, who is making a run at the Southern League's Triple Crown, West Tenn's Scott Moore might be getting notice as the premier power hitter in the league.

On Monday night at the Southern League All-Star Game, Moore was the brightest of the stars, hitting two homers and driving in four runs to propel the North (including Huntsville's stars) to a 9-4 victory over the South.

Moore, 22, is a former No. 1 draft pick who was acquired from Detroit by the Cubs in 2004 and has been paying dividends for the Diamond Jaxx. He is second in the league in homers (14) and fourth in RBIs (50).

Three Huntsville Stars were participants, and pitcher Corey Thurman was impressive.

The veteran Thurman threw two hitless innings, the second and third, in relief of starter Juan Mateo. He struck out three, including Mobile catcher George Kottaras - who had blasted a two-run homer Sunday in the Futures Game in Pittsburgh.

Tim Dillard was the fourth North pitcher employed and allowed only one hit while pitching the fifth inning.

Catcher Lou Palmisano was 0-for-2 after subbing for starter Miguel Montero, who was 3-for-3. Palmisano hit into a double play in the sixth and struck out in the ninth. Former Star Noochie Varner, batting .296 with 52 RBIs for Chattanooga this season, had a two-run homer for the North.

Birmingham designated hitter Corey Smith was the South's offensive star, going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles. Jacksonville third baseman Tony Abreu had a two-run homer.

Box Score and Game Log Link:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_sosaax_1

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars on Bonds? They're still very impressed

Contact Mark McCarter at markcolumn@aol.com

Huntsville Times

There are two Barry Bonds fantasies I have.The first, he has finally been indicted. Then he bolts. A slow chase ensues.

Bonds is tucked into the backseat of a white Ford Bronco, with Victor Conte, the BALCO president, at the wheel. They slowly cruise through San Francisco, past Fisherman's Wharf, around to the Golden Gate Bridge and up to Marin County, a fleet of police cars in tow, the sky full of news helicopters bringing us every mile.

In the second, Bonds comes to the plate and the umpire is Leslie Nielsen, reprising the memorable act in "Naked Gun." Bonds steps into the box. Nielsen frisks Bonds. Magically, a huge hypodermic syringe appears and Nielsen holds it up. Nielsen then whips out handcuffs and whisks him away.

All very silly, I know.

While I don't want Bonds to catch Hank Aaron, more than anything, I want some resolution to this whole ordeal, which has had more than its share of silliness. I suspect that's the majority opinion. We're tired of hearing about him, tired of accusations, tired of his attitude.

Then I had another thought:

What do those in his profession think about him? What do the Huntsville Stars think about him? Here's a sampling:

Drew Anderson, OF: "The guy has the best hand-eye coordination. He's the best hitter I've ever seen. (But) All you hear about Barry Bonds is perjury, when's he going to be indicted, things like that. When he hits a home run, you don't even hear about it."

Steve Moss, OF: "I don't know the guy, but as a baseball player, he's the greatest hitter that's played in our era."

Brad Nelson, OF: "What comes to mind first is what everybody's talking about. But I've still got respect for how he can hit."

Don Money, manager: "There's probably not been this much (scrutiny) on a player who is still playing. Today, there's so much controversy with him. People get tired of it. True or not true? Then it dies down. Two months later something else comes up, true or not true?"

Ron Acuna, OF: "The best hitter in the big leagues. Not just best hitter. Best player."

Rich Sauveur, pitching coach (and former teammate of Bonds with Pirates): "What do I think? Incredible athlete. Very arrogant. He was the same way back in 1986 he is now. He's the best ballplayer there ever was, but why do you have to be the way he is?"

Corey Thurman, P: "One of the greatest players of all time. One of my idols when I was growing up. He's why I wore No. 24, when he was with the Pirates. (The baggage) doesn't matter to me. Being a professional athlete, I know the hardest thing to do is hit a pitched baseball."

Tim Dillard, P: "He's got the best swing in baseball. He and (Albert) Pujols. Whether he's juiced or not, he can still hit."

Jeff Eure, IF: "Best hitter in my lifetime. It's unbelievable how he deals with (the negative attention) and stays focused. Regardless if he took anything or not, it's not been proven one way or the other. You've still got to make contact. You've still got to have that incredible eye."

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

The latest Southern Bases edition (PDF format) has a super picture of Don Money and Joe Davis Stadium on the cover, worth clicking the link for that shot alone.

Within the text, you'll find a Don Money feature and also, Brady Clark reflects on his AA days:

www.southernleague.com/pr...e%2010.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson became big Star

First baseman hits groove to help Huntsville win

By MARK McCARTER

After another depressing demotion, with a batting average that looked like beginners' class bowling scores, Stars first baseman Brad Nelson had a revelation.

"I knew what I could do," he said. "The frustrating thing was like, 'Man, it can't get much worse.' So instead of getting more frustrated, I'd try to turn it around.

"Then," Nelson added, "the best thing happened: We started winning games."

The Stars won enough games - a franchise-record 22 in the month of August, 32 of their last 40 - to have rolled into the first game of Southern League playoffs tonight in Chattanooga (6:15, ESPN Radio 1450 AM) as one of the hottest teams in all of baseball.

Credit Nelson, 23, with much of the success. He drove in the game-winning run Friday in the victory that clinched the Southern League North second-half championship, and had 18 RBIs in his last 27 games.

Said hitting coach Sandy Guerrero, "He's found his stroke. He's had a lot of big hits down the stretch."

As much as this may be a September to celebrate, it was a May to mourn for Nelson. He was batting only .215 with just three homers in 40 games at Triple-A Nashville. He had gone from one of the Brewers' top-rated prospects in 2002 to a guy struggling - and seeing Prince Fielder leapfrog over him to the majors.

He was then sent to Huntsville, the fourth year he's been in a Stars uniform.

He was batting .216 going into the Aug. 11 game at Mississippi. He went 2-for-3 that night. He would collect 14 hits in 22 at-bats and drive in six runs.

"That started turning it around," he said. "It brought the average up. Not only that, but everything else - the confidence level, all the numbers increased."

Nelson finished the season at .264, with six homers, 39 RBIs.

In his first chapter in Huntsville, he joined the Stars in late July and was part of that playoff team.

"It was my first experience of playoff baseball," said Nelson, who won a title with Nashville last year. "With that team, we were super-young. It was a blast. The way we did it, down to the wire in Birmingham (after trailing 2-1 in the series), we did it the dumbest way possible - two five-game series. And we ended up losing in Carolina."

Still adapting to the outfield at the time, he preserved a 3-0 shutout in the first playoff game with a pair of sensational catches against the Barons.

Nelson hails from tiny Algona, Iowa. It's 200 or so miles from Dyersville, where the "Field of Dreams" ballpark-in-a-cornfield movie set was created and remains.

"Great movie," Nelson said. He has visited the site and pronounced it "definitely cool." His high school team even played Dyersville.

One thing you've got to understand:

"I'm from Iowa. I see cornfields all the time."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David Weiser has completed his 2006 Huntsville recap, which includes a review of his Top Ten Games of the Season.

With a possible updated note or two, the main page of David's site will remain intact through the offseason, so we'll link to it here rather than cut and paste.

Thanks David, for your insights all season long...

www.starsboxscore.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Miscellaneous Southern League and Huntsville updates:

www.knoxnews.com/kns/smok...71,00.html

Smokies make pitch for all-star game

By NICK GATES, gates@knews.com

KNOXVILLE - There is a good chance Smokies Park will host the Southern League All-Star Game again in either 2009 or 2010.

The seven-year-old stadium was the site of the Class AA minor league's midsummer classic in 2001 and 2002.

"We would like to host the game again," Tennessee Smokies general manager Brian Cox said.

The SL instituted a rotating schedule after the Smokies hosted the annual game matching the best prospects from the Northern Division against the cream of the crop from the Southern Division on consecutive years. The Smokies' turn wasn't supposed to come around again until 2012.

The Mississippi Braves will host the 2007 game in Pearl, Miss., and the 2008 game will be played in Zebulon, N.C., home of the Carolina Mudcats.

Birmingham, Huntsville and West Tenn are the only league cities that have not hosted the game since 2002. But the Huntsville Stars and West Tenn Diamond Jaxx have expressed little interest in hosting the game during last week's league meetings in Pearl.

Attendance has been in decline in Huntsville and Jackson, where the Diamond Jaxx are in the process of being sold. That likely will improve the odds of the Smokies hosting the game again sooner than anticipated.

Representatives from each of the league's 10 cities also proposed each team bring two uniform tops for each series in 2007.

"That'll allow fans in each city to see their teams home and away jerseys as well as those of the visiting teams," Cox said.

It also will prevent teams playing in the same colored jerseys, an occurrence that doesn't sit well with fans.

The SL also proposed to change its playoff format.

If a team in the Northern or Southern Division wins the first-half and second-half championship, the team with the best record in the division the second half will advance to the playoffs as a wild card starting in 2007.

In the past, the wild card was the team with the best overall record for the 140-game regular season.

The change was proposed to prevent teams from "tanking" games. Although there hasn't been an obvious example of a team deliberately losing to improve its postseason chances, the possibility likely will be removed.

The proposals will be voted on during a league caucus at the annual Winter Meetings in Orlando, Fla., in December and should pass.

The National Association of Minor League Baseball also is cracking down on the number of morning games next season. Teams will not be able to play more than four games before noon and no more than one per series.

The Eastern League was the reason for the legislation. Several of its teams last season opted to play 9 a.m. games.

The Smokies had three DARE Day games last season that began at 11:30 a.m., so school children could attend the game and be dismissed on time.

"We do not plan to have more than two or three DARE Days this season," Cox said.

Baseball Advanced Media also will take over operation of the SL's Web site.

Meanwhile, the Diamond Jaxx's days in Jackson appear numbered.

West Tenn and the Seattle Mariners signed a two-year working agreement last month after the Chicago Cubs left Pringles Park in Jackson and signed a two-year affiliation with the Smokies.

However, if the team is sold and the sale is approved the Diamond Jaxx could become a lame duck in 2008.

Scuttlebutt has the team relocating to Orlando, if the city builds a downtown stadium.

Orlando was in the SL and oftentimes led the league in attendance at Tinker Field adjacent to the Citrus Bowl. But attendance faltered when the team moved to Lake Buena Vista near Disney World. The franchise relocated to Montgomery, Ala., in 2004 and became the Biscuits.

The Arizona Diamondbacks, who were affiliated with the Smokies for two years (2005-06) after the St. Louis Cardinals left, have signed a two-year player development contract with the Mobile BayBears.

New updates from David Weiser:

www.starsboxscore.com/

New lights are now up on the standards at Joe Davis Stadium. A crew has been working on the placement for the past couple of weeks. They are done and now painting the poles...... Come April, you may see a difference, but according to information from Stars office manager Earl Grilliot, there is no difference in the wattage. But some lights were out during the season, and some were on their way to expiration, so even though there's no difference in the wattage, the field should look brighter.

There are now 160 days until Opening Day 2007. Returning players and out-of-town fans will be happy to know or find out that a Cracker Barrel restaurant opened just weeks ago on the corner of Drake and the Parkway, close to the stadium. It is one of the most popular restaurants in the southeastern U.S., offering marvelous "home-cooked" meals and a rustic country atmosphere.

Pitchers Corey Thurman and Joe Valentine have re-signed minor league contracts with the Brewers....... Thurman finished the season with a 5-9 record and a 2.96 ERA in 24 starts for the Stars. He led the Stars with 124 strikeouts and was 2nd behind Tim Dillard in innings pitched with 140....... Valentine led the bullpen in saves, although he didn't join the team until July 15. He finished the year 2-0 with a 2.97 ERA.

At least 26 new club records were set or tied in 2006.......

? Most pitchers used in a season (29)

? Most relief pitchers used (21)

? Most games won in August and September (26)

? Best W-L record in August-September (26-6)

? Fewest games won, first half (26)

? Fewest games won vs.one team in a season (0, vs. Jacksonville)

? Worst W-L Pct. against a team, (.000, vs. Jacksonville)

? Consecutive home victories, tied (10)

? Consecutive home losses (14, May 18-June 13)

? Consecutive road losses (8, June 5-19)

? Most games lost vs. opponent, tied (18 vs. West Tenn.)

? Most games lost in May (23)

? Worst record in May (7-23)

? Best W-L record in one-run decisions, Aug.-Sept. (12-2)

? First half losses (45)

? Longest losing streak (14 games, May 18-June 1)

? Sacrifice hits, career (Callix Crabbe, 36)

? Fewest errors in April (12)

? Fewest errors in July (16)

? Fewest errors in August-September (24)

? Fewest errors after first 10 games (4)

? Fewest errors after first 20 games (8)

? Fewest errors after first 30 games (18)

? Fewest errors after first 40 games (29)

? Fewest errors after first 50 games (38)

Photos from the Huntsville site:

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1028

The demolition of the third base ticket booth is the first step in the expansion of the home clubhouse at Joe Davis Stadium

http://www.huntsvillestars.com/images/news/bigdestruction2.jpg

http://www.huntsvillestars.com/images/news/bigdestruction.jpg

Archived