Brewer Fanatic

Cloverfield

Thats Freakin Sweet

I saw it, and enjoyed it. I wouldn't usually watch this genre of film, but the first trailers drew me in, and I tried to shut out any of the promotions since then. It's a very exciting, very fun watch....if you can stand the shakey-cam. (I love the Bourne films, so that wasn't much of an issue for me.)

MICRO SPOILER:

During the very last scene of the film (on an Island), keep an eye on the background. (I didn't actually see this part myself.)

There's no reason to stick around after the movie....since you won't be able to understand the tidbit they put in at the end of the credits anyway.

Would have liked a less-definite ending w/ respect to the main characters.

It got an A- from the Onion's AV club. My gf (huge into horror flicks) went with high expectations & came back "meh." She said if she hadn't had such high expectations she would've enjoyed it more.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, it wasn't a horror film, so....

I will say this, I skipped dinner last night, and for whatever reason, I get nauseous easier when this happens. There were times during the movie where I felt a bit of motion sickness due to the 'hand-held' cam. It actually added to my enjoyment, as weird as that sounds, as any movie that affects me physically is OK in my book. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

bjkrautk, email me what you're talking about as far as the spoiler goes, I missed it...

I really liked it. The 'shaky-cam' wasn't as bad as some parts in the Bourne movies, but there is a lot of it. It didn't bother me much, but I know a lot of people hate it.

The monster is pretty sweet.

3TO Apostle

horror films are going to be the saw series, texas chain saw massacre, the ring, etc....like freakin said, its more of a sci fi if anything.

On a side note I liked the movie a lot more then I thought. Even though I already had a pic of what the monster looked like it still caught me off guard.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Several of my friends have seen it, I plan(ned) on going to see it. Most of them describe it as "Blair Witch meets Mathew Broderick's Godzilla". Shaky hand-cam, no music, and you see the creature for about 3 minutes of screen time. Not seeing the thing wouldn't bother me as long as the story's good, but the whole Blair Witch comparison bugs me, as I really didn't care for the running around-screaming-not able to tell what's going on-camera work thing.

I still want to see this, but my expectations have been lowered somewhat.

Yeah there's never really a time where it's complete chaos where you can't see anything. There's a few tense moments where the camera is sort of dropped, but other than that it's good camera work.
3TO Apostle

horror films are going to be the saw series, texas chain saw massacre, the ring, etc....like freakin said, its more of a sci fi if anything.

But what about Alien? That's sci-fi but it's also definitely a horror film.

bjkrautk, email me what you're talking about as far as the spoiler goes, I missed it...

Just as a PSA for anyone that doesn't know - you can 'highlight' the blank area in bjk's post with your mouse to read the spoiler.

BJ - how'd you do that? White text on white background? I'll try that myself to see if it works below...

Not a spoiler in any way.

Sweet! But I know I saw one of the mods a while back edit a post where there was a [+] dropdown next to the word "Spoiler", and clicking the [+] revealed the text. Any help out there? Good options to cloak spoilers imo.

EDIT: Ok, so given a minute to reflect, I now realize TFS probably meant that he wanted BJK to explain what happens in the spoiler - not that he 'missed it' in the post. Sorry all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When I first left the theatre, I liked it but wasn't impressed. Eh, just a good monster movie. But the more I thought about it, I'm liking it more. I think I was a little disappointed because I expected more Godzilla and less Blair Witch, and I didn't have the high expectations until the night before when I read that the AV Club gave it an A-. Plus, I really thought the monster was awesome and would have loved to see more of it. I also think JJ Abrams is a tool and casts the most annoying people ever. Hud was good though. Still, despite my complaints, I'd recommend to see it in the theatre.

RE: Cloverfield as a horror movie

I think there is a thin line between horror and sci-fi, and with a little more gore (

Spoiler [+]
like if we could have seen the girl explode
), Cloverfield turns into a horror movie (maybe like Feast?). And that wouldn't have disappointed me at all, esp. since it would have meant I could have seen more monster. But I'm really glad it didn't go down that route. It's good the way it is.

I don't know.

I didn't like it at all.

Wasn't scary. Wasn't character driven. Wasn't much of a plot.

"AHH. GODZILLA!"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It was just... Meh. Wasn't' good, wasn't bad. Just meh.

Ok.. so it started good. But seriously.. a big huge monster like that and cell service still works (Remember 911 and the cell network being over loaded?) With that amount of damage generally around the city, wouldn't alot of services be damaged?
What's with the Michael Bay style misplaced love story, out of place!
Beth has a rebar in her arm and they yank it out? Seriously? She would have bleed out probably fairly quickly and died.
Then you slam in the whole "Hammer Down" thing, they showed a B1B dropping 2000 or 3000 # bombs (Just about the biggest conventional bomb?) to no avil. And then they "bomb it" using conventional bombs? Come on, if a 3000 pound bomb does basically nothing, wouldn't they go Nuclear? But they had to add the stupid "I love you" after the first bomb hit. Come on.... that's what spoiled it for me.
Just Meh.. that's all.

Archived