Brewer Fanatic

Who will have a breakout season in 2008 for the Brewers?

samwise

Rickie Weeks. Biggest break-out candidate, and I don't think it's even close. Maybe Villanueva as a SP - to those that don't follow the Brewers - would be considered a 'breakout.'

EDIT: Whoops, me too, bullox. Ah well. Interesting article - he even pegs Rickie's WOAHs prior to being sent to AAA, but doesn't get it all the way to uncover the surgery to 'clean out' his wrist. That would've impressed me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pretty sure that link was posted elsewhere and discussed so I'll stick with Brewer breakout guys.

I agree Weeks will have a good year so I'll go a different direction and say Hardy. Now that might sound 'shocking' given the big HR streak early in last year but I think Hardy has a lot of growth in OBP this year which pushes his value up even though his OPS wont' grow much.

Having read more of the dissapointment thread let me add Bill Hall to my breakout list. I don't expect 2006 or anything but something a lot closer to 2005 than 2007. The guy dealt with the major position change early (and no moving back to the IF will not be the same type of thing at all), then he got hurt and tried to play through the injury the rest of the year. Since half the forum seems to think we'll need to trade to replace him in the 2nd half I think he will do much better than people think.

I think Corey Hart could possibly have a breakout year. Now, it's arguable whether you consider if he's broken out or not. I mean, .295/24/81 is pretty good.

However, I think we can, if he stays healthy, a .285+/35/100 year, also getting 30 SB.

I'm pessimistic for Weeks this season. I just don't think he's going to have the year some think he will. I'm hoping, but I won't be surprised if he continues to struggle.

Definately Rickie Weeks, he looked like he may have found it at the end of the season. His potential is so great, he is the reason why Im so excited for 2007. Just think how good we will be if we have a productive Rickie along with the rest

he is the reason why Im so excited for 2007.
Don't you mean 2008? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The answer du jour is Rickie, so I'll say someone else...

I know a lot of people will argue that last year was Hart's breakout year, but I think this is the year that people around the league will take notice of him. Hart very quietly put up pretty good numbers last year, and I don't think it will be so quiet this year. I think his defense will be fantastic and I'd almost expect 30/30 (which he nearly had last year), with a high OPS.

Let me ask you guys this question. What would be a breakout for our TRUE ROY, Yo? If not for the Curse of Coors, he would be the best young pitcher in baseball. Also, if not for Two-Way Micah, I have no doubt that more people would be gravitating towards his bat. I honestly think he's going to outpitch (and outslug) Zambrano this year!

I don't think many people call an .807 OPS with 16 HR & a .235 BA 'breaking out'... but if you mean the way he played from 8/10/2007 - end of 2007, then yes, I agree.

Especially the average fan who doesn't put as much stock into OBP and puts far too much stock into BA.

Considering he's just 25 years old and coming back from injuries that hampered his development, the idea that Weeks can improve by leaps and bounds isn't out of the realm of possibility, and a .270/.400/.500 campaign in 2008 doesn't seem improbable

Mark Normandin from Baseballprospectus in a premium article.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7070

Archived