Brewer Fanatic

Is this the year, that we finally hang the "Sheets" out to dry?

BrewCrew4ever

Not sure about this one but in the spirit of argument, I'm not too sure we will be able to/want to resign Ben Sheets. The guy just seems fragile to me...not to mention we finally have pitching depth cape-able of filling the void, (although maybe not at the same level).

So I am wondering do we consider trading him on/near the deadline this year if it appears we wont resign him? I would imagine he could bring us multiple players/picks.

So I am wondering do we consider trading him on/near the deadline this year if it appears we wont resign him? I would imagine he could bring us multiple players/picks.

Sure...if everything goes wrong, and we're 10 back at the break, then we may look to move him at or before the trade deadline. If however we're in a race, and in first place, or reasonably close to the WC and or division lead, and we deal Ben Sheets, the team is going to take a lot of heat from fans and the media.

If we're going to make a deal, make it right now with the M's for Jeff Clement+ whatever.

Either he is healthy and we would be insane to trade him since we should be in a playoff race or he is hurt and we cannot really trade him. I'd go into a long discussion on whether or not he is really injury prone but there isn't much point to it, people already have their minds made up one way or the other.

Ennder - I was careful not to say he is injury prone, I dont think thats as clear as "fragile" which I used. Although I agree many people think one way or the other on him. I was more interested in trying to "think like Doug M" because I dont see us resigning him just my opinion there.

I agree with Gopher 74 I think we should be looking to trade him now, and maybe we are. Doug ushually keeps trade info to himself, but even if we dont trade sheets we have an excess of starting or long relief pitching so someones got to go.

Thanks guys

I don't think he'd trade Sheets now. The only teams that want the last year of Sheets contract are teams in the playoff race. I don't think the Brewers would take a PR hit by trading him for a prospect. Most teams in the playoff hunt don't have an every day major league player they can afford to give up to fill a starting pitching spot. We also dont' have room on the team for any every day players except maybe a C.

I just don't see how it would work out.

I don't see the Brewers signing him after the season, as other teams will throw far too much money his way. However, the Brewers have way too good a chance of making the playoffs to trade Sheets now. Even if you were to get a Phillip Hughes for him, you'd be better for the future, but not as good this season (although I think Melvin would have to think long & hard before turning down that offer).

As Gopher said, I think the only way he's traded is if catastrope happens and the Brewers are out of it by the trade deadline. Most likely, he helps us in a playoff run, we make a fair offer to him after the season which is trumped by a bigger market team, we get two high draft picks and Parra starts next season in the rotation. Due to the presence of Sheets along with all of the kids, this may well be the Brewers' best chance at making the World Series. After this, Sheets will likely be gone and the kids will start making a lot of money in arby, so we won't be able to fill in the ancillary postions with free agents like we did this season in CF and the bullpen. I'd hate to lose this chance by trading Sheets now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yikes!!! I mentioned Brewers and World Series in post 666. I should've talked about the Cubs in that post. Or maybe Don Fehr... a lot of people claim he's the devil.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

A lot will depend on how healthy he remains this year. If he's his old healthy self, our chances of competing strongly for the division title and/or WC are more definite. So we shouldn't trade him.

But if he gets a paper cut reading a Michael Hunt article in the clubhouse, and misses the rest of the season, then our rotation doesn't have that stopper, and the team sags out of the pennant race. Sure, with the team dropping out of the race, an expensive player in his walk year is trade bait, but not if he's injured again.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Considering how weak this division is, I can't see us being ready to throw in the towel in July, especially when you're assuming Sheets has been healthy enough to trade him. A ton would have to go wrong for us, or right for the Cubs, to set up a situation like that.
Cameron/Braun colision in left field.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree that the Brewers being in a position to trade Ben Sheets and Ben Sheets being trade-able move in opposite directions. My hope is that he pulls another 2004 and we ride him into the playoffs/World Series, and to hell with what happens after that. Get two draft picks. Whatever. It'll be worth a WS shot, and then in 2009 we can anchor a rotation with three #2s in Yo, Villanueva and Manny Parra.

I'm really torn. Trading Sheets for Clement + would make our offense nearly unstoppable for a long time. From what I've heard Clement profiles to be a lot like Mike Piazza. A power hitting catcher who doesn't play very great defense.

Can you imagine our team's lineup in '09 with:

Fielder (40+ HR potential)

Weeks (30 HR potential)

Hardy (20-25 HR potential)

Hall (25-30 HR potential)

Braun (40+ HR potential)

Hart (25-30 HR potential)

LaPorta (30+ HR potential)

Clement (25+ HR potential)

That is just sick. Who do you pitch around in that lineup? When everyone 1-8 can take you deep. Would there be a better offense in the NL for the next few years? If that costs us Sheets, to fill out our lineup like that, it may be worth it. After all, by all accounts we'll lose Sheets after this season anyway. Why let him go for nothing when by trading him you can fill in the final gaping hole in our offense.

On the other hand. Trading him would mean someone like Parra would have to really step up and succeed. Although think about it this way. Which combination would have a stronger effect on our team's overall record. A power hitting catcher who plays 5 games per week, or an injury susceptible power pitcher who would play only once or twice a week.

If he's healthy and pitching well, the Brewers are likely to be in the thick of things in July. By July though the Brewers will have more time to see if indeed Gallardo can be a true ace of this staff. If Gallardo is performing like an ace and they get back a quality arm that can fill Sheets' spot immediately and another player to help out some other area ala Cordero for Lee a couple years ago, go ahead a pull the trigger. I don't think it is wise to pay Sheets the going rate for ace pitchers. He's only performed like one over the course of a full season one time (2004) and they have to start paying their core everyday players soon.

I don't think it is wise to pay Sheets the going rate for ace pitchers. He's never performed like one over the course of a full season and they have to start paying their core everyday players soon.

Huh? You have got to be joking with that last statement or your valuation system for pitching is just completely screwed up beyond belief. There is no way Sheets did not pitch like an ace in 2004. And his overall stats from 2004 to 2007 still match up with the best in the game pretty well except for the obvious playtime issues.

I dont' think I want to re-sign him at the going rate either but lets not go overboard on it. Sheets pitched like an ace in 2004, 2005 and 2006 he just got hurt in there. 2007 his stuff slipped some though.

If he's healthy and pitching well, the Brewers are likely to be in the thick of things in July. By July though the Brewers will have more time to see if indeed Gallardo can be a true ace of this staff. If Gallardo is performing like an ace and they get back a quality arm that can fill Sheets' spot immediately and another player to help out some other area ala Cordero for Lee a couple years ago, go ahead a pull the trigger.

I don't think it is wise to pay Sheets the going rate for ace pitchers. He's never performed like one over the course of a full season and they have to start paying their core everyday players soon.

JB, I agree with what your saying in the rest of the post, but the bolded part is just absurd. How can you say he didn't pitch like an ace in 2004?

edit: Looks like Ennder beat me to it, stupid customers...

Exactly. You can't pay a guy based on one year of production, almost four years ago.

I guess the way I see it most likely playing out, is that the Brewers keep him for 2008, and then he'll likely end up getting some obscene offer somewhere, so the Brewers will get draft picks as compensation. Not the worst problem in the world to have, I guess.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well when talking about signing him you have to assume he has a strong 2008 too. If he comes out and has a substandard year or gets hurt I don't see the Brewers offering him a new contract. If he comes out and looks like 2004-2006 then you have to think they will look into 2009+.

I still don't want to sign him because he is a pitcher. If you look over the past 5 years for pitchers who have had a single run of 3 years of 200+ IP you will not find all that many. The odds of ANY starting pitcher being healthy for 3+ years in a row is just really low. A long term high value contract to a SP is just not a gamble that a mid market team should take in most cases.

I think we can definitely afford him, provided we indeed shed Suppan that winter. I'm kind of in the middle on Sheets, but if he would take a 3 year deal I would like to see us jump all over it. With his past missed time and Jake Peavey's contract to compare too, we just might have a case for a 3 year / $48MM offer. It'll also help if we find some bullpen help from within this season, save some money there.

EDIT: This is assuming health and success next season. If not, I'd only offer a one year deal.

I think we can definitely afford him, provided we indeed shed Suppan that winter. I'm kind of in the middle on Sheets, but if he would take a 3 year deal I would like to see us jump all over it. With his past missed time and Jake Peavey's contract to compare too, we just might have a case for a 3 year / $48MM offer. It'll also help if we find some bullpen help from within this season, save some money there.

EDIT: This is assuming health and success next season. If not, I'd only offer a one year deal.

Why would they get rid of a good talent like Suppan?? He has shown for a long time he can go out and pitch every time his number comes up and give his chance to win.

Sheets has to prove he can get through the whole season before I would want the Brewers to put any more money in his pocket.

Suppan's deal is structured so he makes quite a bit more after 2008. It really seems as though its set up for him to be traded next off season. (Plus, his no trade clause expires after this season as well)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived