Brewer Fanatic

Why is my hard drive so full?

UndraftedFA

I bought a new laptop this summer with Windows Vista. I started transferring files with a 2Gig flash drive before I bought a crossover cable.

I am pretty sure I selected the recommended setting when using the transfer wizard, but my 120 gig C drive was 65% filled after the transfer. I know it made doubles of all my pictures and music that I had already transferred via the flash drive. I thought it would ask to overwrite. I downloaded a program to erase those doubles. I noticed I even have doubles of disk defragmenter, disk clean up, etc. I am guessing it took every last thing off of my old computer and stored it on my new one.

Is there a way to easily get rid of all the doubles and unnecessary files that transferred from my old computer? I don't know enough to go in and manually delete files.

I was thinking about getting a external hard drive for back-up purposes anyway, but I am thinking of dumping all my music, photos, etc. onto an Ext. HD, and starting over on my C drive. I am a little hesitant to do this because there are several programs I have that I am not sure if I could get back. I have a math program (Maple 11 that I downloaded) on the D drive that I don't want to lose.

Is there any good suggestions anyone has? I don't care much about my bookmark list and those types of things. There is still about 32% of the C drive available (and the 120 gig D drive is still pretty much all available), but it's annoying that a new computer with a 120 gig drive is this full. The security scans take forever.

This happened to me a couple months ago too. I was trying to transfer the files from my two laptops to my new desktop computer and I got through one OK. But when I did the 2nd one, it took all the files, even the ones that had already been transferred over from the 1st laptop. I was upset because the guy at the store had told me that wouldn't happen but the hard drive is 750 GB so I'm not too worried about it. It's a hassle to delete everything though, I wish I could help you.

Thanks Bullox. I found that my Anti-virus program (Trend Micro 2007) is taking up over 19 GB! I have over 4000 ~5000KB files in it. Almost every time I turn the computer on, it has an update available. There are only 2 files in the Quarantine. I'll see what I can delete, or if I can reinstall it. Something must be wrong with it or the settings.

Archived