Brewer Fanatic

Production relative to contract

TooLiveBrew

Was Prince Fielder's 2007 season (.288/.395/.618/1.013, .330 ISO, 90 BB/121 SO, 35 2B, 50 HR) the best ever in terms of bang-for-the-buck? He 'only' made $415,000. I know that any high-end result of this kind of occurrance will be more based on random timing of a young player hitting MLB, but still. All this discussion about arbitration players got me thinking. If Prince Fielder doesn't set new arbitration hearing records (if the Brewers even let it get that far), the arbitration system needs to be re-vamped.

Did Braun's output while making $380,000 give Prince a run for the money? Maybe this is all stupid, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find better production at the dollar value. If anyone wants to talk about players from the past, please keep the salary number(s) in perspective - obviously $415,000 back in 1906 would've been ridiculous. Maybe that point alone makes the whole discussion vapid, but if so, this thread will die off soon enough.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pujols made 200k his rookie year and had a better year than either of them.

You suck.

With two responses, this thread is destined for a short lifespan! I'll have to peek at Morneau's MVP season - compare it to Prince's 2007... for that matter, Howard, too - but didn't he hit 60 HR that year? Hard to top.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Truer words have never been said. Pre-arby the owners are just blood sucking leeches. Then there's some momentary equilibrium before free agency and the players go all vampire on the owners asses. It's like punching your younger brother when you know someday he's gonna be 6'6" and make your pay dearly.

My personal opinion is that players make too little before free agency and too much after, in terms of production. It's an odd world.

That is correct. Too bad they can not go back to playing for one year contracts and no free agency. Get what you are worth and that is it.

Archived