Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Capuano 1 year, $3.75 million

trwi7

That seems like a huge steal when compared to what the free agents are receiving these days. Cappy didn't have a great year last year, but he has had success in the past and is still young. he could probably command a 4 year $35 million contract on the free agent market.

Only a $500,000 increase from last year while Vargas gets a $1.1 million raise? Seems a bit curious.

Nice deal. I think he'll bounce back nicely this year, not having Estrada behind the plate.

Only a $500,000 increase from last year while Vargas gets a $1.1 million raise? Seems a bit curious.

Clear as mud!

Vargas:

5.09 ERA

7.17 K/9

1.54 WHIP

6.43 run support!

11-6 record

Capuano:

5.10 ERA

7.92 K/9

1.49 WHIP

4.20 run support

5-12 record

Vargas had the 2nd highest run support among NL pitchers with at least 120 IP. That's why he deserves the money.

The Prince of Darkness returns mwahahahaha!

Even after disappointing seasons, baseball players usually get raises through salary arbitration.

Left-hander Chris Capuano, who set a franchise record with 12 consecutive losses last season

He went 0-12 with a 6.08 ERA in his last 22 appearances, finishing with a 5-12 record and 5.10 ERA, and eventually losing his spot in the rotation.
Not only did Capuano set a franchise record with 12 consecutive defeats, the Brewers lost each of his final 22 appearances, including four out of the bullpen.

August '07 - Now ... at least 4,537 times. At least it seems like that many. TOM! Check out some statistical analysis newer than 1950!

If only Milwaukee had strong journalism... especially sports journalism...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Clear as mud!

Vargas:

5.09 ERA

7.17 K/9

1.54 WHIP

6.43 run support!

11-6 record

Capuano:

5.10 ERA

7.92 K/9

1.49 WHIP

4.20 run support

5-12 record

Vargas had the 2nd highest run support among NL pitchers with at least 120 IP. That's why he deserves the money.

Cappy is getting 1 year at 3.75 million

Vargas is getting 1 year at 3.6 million

looks pretty fair based on their most recent performance being pretty much equal.

Cappy is getting 1 year at 3.75 million

Vargas is getting 1 year at 3.6 million

looks pretty fair based on their most recent performance being pretty much equal.

Except that Capuano has a track record and Vargas doesn't. This was basically Vargas' best year and Capuano's worst. That's a little unfair to Vargas, because he hasn't been around long, but that's part of what track records are about. The weight of evidence suggests that Capuano is substantially more valuable than Vargas.

Given the one-year bargain they got, I would have liked to see the Brewers try to sign Capuano for two years -- maybe 8.5 million. Maybe Capuano had no interest in that, because he knows his stock is low; on the other hand, pitchers usually like security.

Greg.

To me, what's "fair" is to pay a guy based on his future expected performance and I can't see how Vargas should be expected to be as good as Cappy this year. Well, that is unless a person simply always expects a player to perfom exactly as they did the year before. That's a pertty interesting projection system.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me, what's "fair" is to pay a guy based on his future expected performance and I can't see how Vargas should be expected to be as good as Cappy this year. Well, that is unless a person simply always expects a player to perfom exactly as they did the year before. That's a pertty interesting projection system.

It very well may be "fair" to pay based on future expected performance, except you and I and everybody knows that the salary structure is set up in baseball in such a way that guys are paid in large part based on what they've done, not what they'll do. Look at when most guys get their "biggest" contract, and it's usually when they're past or nearing the age of 30, and most if not all of the highest paid years in said contract will be when they're technically past their physical prime.

Capuano might have the same K and BB rates in '08 and still lower his ERA by run; just through better luck and defense. I'm surprised Doug wasn't dogged by half the teams in MLB trying to get Capuano this winter.

29 year old lefties who have averaged 31 starts, league average ERAs for the previous 3 years, and are still only arby eligible, aren't that easy to find. Ted Lilly is going to make $31 million over the next 3 years. The difference between these two is negligible. Frankly I'd rather have Cappy....

It very well may be "fair" to pay based on future expected performance, except you and I and everybody knows that the salary structure is set up in baseball in such a way that guys are paid in large part based on what they've done, not what they'll do.

That's because some stupid GMs think that present production IS the same thing as expected future production. Anyway, arbitration salaries is a whole different beast but again, I thought it was supposed to be a function of present skill (not last season's performance) and service time.

Guys are paid later in their careers because the current arbitration formula artificially suppresses the price of players for their first 6 years. GMs can also grab another couple of years of free agency at a slightly lower price for overpaying some arby years. So players are past their prime by the time they get to the free agent market. Believe me, every team in the league would pay more money for Prince/Rickie/Braun/JJ/Hart than what we have to pay those five.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

What's the Brewers payroll up to for 2008 right now?
I've got $75.5 million, not including Hardy and Bush, so it should be over $80 million. With Bush, there are 13 pitchers, even with Parra in AAA, so something has to give.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It very well may be "fair" to pay based on future expected performance, except you and I and everybody knows that the salary structure is set up in baseball in such a way that guys are paid in large part based on what they've done, not what they'll do.

That's because some stupid GMs think that present production IS the same thing as expected future production. Anyway, arbitration salaries is a whole different beast but again, I thought it was supposed to be a function of present skill (not last season's performance) and service time.

I'm not disagreeing with you Russ, I'm just saying "that's the way it is". Like Robin19 says, the arbitration system suppresses salary for the first 6 years of a players career.

Until there's a fundamental change in the way the financial aspects of baseball work, this is never going to change. Guys will get paid based largely on what they did, not what they'll do.

Archived