Brewer Fanatic

Are we going to suck the first few weeks?

NYChez

Here are unknowns that will sort themselves out by May but may lead to a slow start:

1. Out of the various options in the bullpen, who will be the most effective in the 7th and 8th innings?

2. Out of the various options, who will be the most effective 4th and 5th starters?

3. If Cappy starts 0-3, do you pull the plug on him?

4. How will Braun and Hall react to the change in positions?

5. What will the rotation be in center field before Cameron makes his debut?

6. Will Braun struggle batting behind Fielder instead of in front of him?

There's a lot of talent on the team, even without Cameron for the first month. I don't anticipate them struggling. I mean, they started Counsellnino at 3B last year to begin the season and went 24-10. A lot of it is luck over a short span like that.

I think they'd give themselves better odds with Gross starting in CF against LHP's, though, otherwise, I think the position changes and lineup effects will be minimal.

This may sound crazy, but i wouldn't mind getting off to a slow start for once. if we hover around .500 or a little over for the first 25 games, then once we get our full lineup and we get the bullpen figured out, we are set up to go on a major push and finish the season strong.

i'm just sick of starting off hot, then fizzling out in august...

Here are unknowns that will sort themselves out by May but may lead to a slow start:

1. Out of the various options in the bullpen, who will be the most effective in the 7th and 8th innings?

2. Out of the various options, who will be the most effective 4th and 5th starters?

3. If Cappy starts 0-3, do you pull the plug on him?

4. How will Braun and Hall react to the change in positions?

5. What will the rotation be in center field before Cameron makes his debut?

6. Will Braun struggle batting behind Fielder instead of in front of him?

1. The bullpen is more of a sure thing than going into last year was so it is hard to worry about it.

2. Whoever we have as the 4th and 5th starter will be the same as last year or better.

3. It really depends on how he is pitching. I really doubt it is going to be an issue.

4. I can't imagine Hall would be worse than he was lsat year in CF and well Braun who knows.

5. The same guys that would have played had we not signed him. They can always slide Hart to CF and play whomever in RF

6. I don't really see why Braun would struggle with Hart behind him. If batting in front of Fielder is such a big deal than whoever bats 2nd should pick up the slack.

I have higher expectations offensive, defensively and with the starters and the bullpen than I had going into last year. Last year we had a ton of question marks, this year we really do not.

Pitchers and catchers are still a month away. . .Why get concerned about games that haven't even been played yet?

The team is healthy, and for now, everyone but Cameron should be there from the start.

My crazy, bold, off the wall prediction for 2008...Gabe Gross will play well enough in the first 25 games of the year to create a "who should our starting center-fielder be" controversy when Cameron comes off his suspension. I predict Gross will have a better year at the plate than Mike Cameron, Tony Gwynn, or Joe Dillon. Something tells me Gross is pissed we signed Cameron and will use that as motivation to have a breakout year.

i guess in a way you could still look at April this yearly with Cameron being gone, but i don't see any giant dropoff with Gwynn and Gross in CF--we lose some HRs and SLG, but nothing else will be drastic.

nice, though, that we'll just have the option of playing the hot hand in April in CF between three players (with Dillon shifting to right and Hart in CF).

so I'm guessing based on the LF platoon last year Gross certainly won't start a game vs. a lefty, but he certainly will pinch-hit against them all the time.

If Rottino's on the roster, he'd be a better bet v. LHP for pinch-hitting imo.

i don't see any giant dropoff with Gwynn and Gross in CF--we lose some HRs and SLG, but nothing else will be drastic.

Don't forget that we lose a bunch of OBP with Gwynn at the plate, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kapler is (or at least, was) a superlative defender in CF. While I love Gross, I'd have a hard time not starting Kapler vs. lefties in CF.

I'd rather Hart slide over to CF against lefties, with Dillon getting start. I'm really hoping that Kapler doesn't even make the cut.

"If Cappy goes 0-3"

Did I miss something?

He hasn't won a rotation spot by any means. Right now I think Bush has the clear edge on him for the number 5 spot. As far as CF goes, I think they have to be consistent and commit to defense. I start Gwynn there everyday or platoon him with Kapler. Not only would that give them the best defensive team, it would go a long way in determining what kind of future Gwynn has.

I would put money on Capuano in the rotation and Bush in the bullpen. I don't know if it is a smart move but Capuano has more value to gain in the rotation with the 18 win season and all star game etc on his resume. Capuano is a lefty and most teams prefer to have at least 1 in the rotation. Bush has bullpen experience and has been used in it multiple times in the past.

Personally I think Capuano breaks down late in games and Bush is above average late in games (regardless of the silly notion he struggles later which has no basis in statistical fact). Bush has a lot of problems in the 1st inning he pitches which makes me think he'd be a bad bullpen guy.

As far as the bullpen going this is how I envision it.

Cl Eric Gagne

8th David Riske

7th Salomon Torres

6th Derek Turnbow

6th Guillermo Mota

LS Brian Shouse

LR Dave Bush (unless we unload him for a young catcher.)

I think Riske and Torres will be a major upgrade compared to Turnbow and Wise in those respective roles from last year. Doug's done a great job rebuilding the pen. I think this is the most talented group of relievers we've ever had. If Mike Maddux and company can work there magic with Mota and Torres to get em back to what they were like a couple years ago this pen has the potential to be NASTY! I'm eager to see how they come together.

The 4th and 5th Starters should be Villanueva and Capuano. I give Capuano a decent leash unless hes getting completely shelled. We'll be able to tell in spring training if he has it or not.

@WiscoSportsNut

Ennder, Why alter the rotation that was in place at the end of the year? Capuano has more value out of the pen. Think about it, they have 5 right handed starters that teams will counter with their lefthanded lineups. If you have to go to a long man, it's always better to have that guy be the opposite of the starter. In fact Capuano generally is pretty good the first time through an order. Another reason to commit to Bush, is that they control him longer.

Also the initial post said something about Braun following Fielder in the order? Again did I miss something? Why would they change from the Braun, Fielder, Hart combo that raked in September.

edit: I just read the post where Yost hinted at that lineup change. Man, it's January and he's already making managerial mistakes.

What I think we should do and what we actually will do are different things. I just will be very surprised if Capuano doesn't slot in as the #5 or even worse the #4 starter with Villanueva in the bullpen and Bush as the #5.

When I think of Dave Bush I think of a pitcher who always has 1 bad inning per game. It's been his problem his entire career. I was talking to a Blue Jay fan and he mentioned that it was his problem in Toronto as well. He just cant seem to put it all together for an entire game. If it isnt the 1st inning he'll be pitching a great game and he'll blow it in the 6th or 7th inning. I don't have any stats to back what I'm saying up but its what I have noticed from watching alot of Brewer games.

I think Dave Bush will serve us best in the bullpen as a long reliever. Hes not afraid to throw his curveball whenever in the count and he has a rubber arm. It seems like he could pitch 6 innings every day if we needed him to. If we could controll him in the pen to use him till he starts to lose it for us he could be extremely valuable.

@WiscoSportsNut

So you're telling me that Yost is that dumb to ignore the outstanding job Villanueva did in the heat of race and put him in the pen where he no longer would have a key role? Even I don't think Yost is that stupid.

The only way I see Capuano in the rotation is if he clearly has a better spring than Bush.

I could see a spot start here and there vs. lefty dominated lineups but other than that, I think his role will be what it was in September.

I'd rather start Bush because you know what you're gonna get. Cappy is my nightmare pitcher. I put him in the pen, spot start him, nurse him along and see if he can turn it around. Someone said he had an arm injury last year and dropped several MPHs. I hope so. But if I'm the ancient mariner this guy is the albatros circling my boat.

I want him traded more than Bush or even Vargas because I think you'd get someone to overpay. Vargas just sucks and everyone knows it, maybe we can get a low A stud.

But that's a little off the subject. I really don't see the Crew having any particular problems at the beginning of the year simply because they got too many options.

So you're telling me that Yost is that dumb to ignore the outstanding job Villanueva did in the heat of race and put him in the pen where he no longer would have a key role? Even I don't think Yost is that stupid.

well, I'm dumb enough, and I'm way smarter than Yost. Barring injury, Sheets should be #1, Gallardo #2, Suppan #3, and Parra should be #5. Bush, Capuano, and Villanueva (and Vargas, I guess) can fight it out for the #4 slot. Suppan gets #3 because he has the contract, sheets, gallardo, and parra are the most-dominant pitchers on the staff.

Archived