Brewer Fanatic

Indie film stuff - shameless self promotion

RayKingsForemanGrill
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread seems like beating the proverbial dead horse, but this time I'm bringing our film right into the belly of the beast:

The Wintress will be playing the Milwaukee Short Film Festival that takes place the weekend of September 11. I'm excited to be coming home for this one... I'll let people know specific schedules, etc. - but if you're into supporting the local arts, this festival may be your thing...

This caps a recent string of good news, including upcoming screenings in L.A. and at Disney in Anaheim.

www.thewintress.com

---end shameless self promotion---

For some non self-promotion, this film seems to really show what you can do making films outside of L.A. This opens in L.A. this week and I'm anxious to see it, but frankly, if I didn't know one of the actors in it I would never have heard of it:

INK

Shot and produced entirely in Denver. Someday I'd like to think a production like this could come out of Milwaukee/Wisconsin...

It's also why word-of-mouth is so important to independent films... the following this film is picking up so far is almost entirely from word-of-mouth. When you don't have a studio's budget backing your promotion, it is crucial.

• 5 months later...

Netflix finally has Ink available.

I've never been a huge follower of indie films, but those trailers piqued my interest far too much to ignore. And despite the months of anticipation building up, it still managed to well exceed my expectations. The production quality looks fantastic and rivals that of many major studio releases that I've seen. Still trying to wrap my brain around the somewhat mind-bending plot, but in a good way.

Independent filmmakers really deserve far more credit and respect than they get.

As an extra added bonus Jamin and his wife Kiowa were two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting. I've also got an interview posted on my site that I did with Jamin and lead actor Chris Kelley. Feel free to check it out if you have the time.

My DVD should be coming in the mail today.... although seeing it on the big screen was pretty neat...

INK also presents an interesting challenge to filmmakers this week: It was pirated heavily and downloaded over 400,000 times on torrent sites. While, typically, we would say this is "bad", it has catapulted INK to #16 on IMDB's moviemeter, has given the film more exposure than it would ever get, and is (hopefully) giving the filmmakers the cred they need to get their next film made.

The business model is changing, and as I'm in pre-pre-production on two features right now, we're all paying attention...

(BTW, if you're thinking about going to find it on the Torrent sites, do so if you will - but the filmmakers have put a "donate" button on their website. So if you "pirate" it and like it, throw the filmmakers a couple of bucks to help them get their next film made.

Now... to showcase the generosity of independent filmmakers, the next 10 DMS I get in my inbox w/ a mailing address will get a free copy of my short film The Wintress on DVD....

Archived