Brewer Fanatic

Indie film stuff - shameless self promotion

RayKingsForemanGrill

Hey folks:

Couple things coming up that I'm excited about (other than Packers playoffs) - one is that I directed my first short film back home in Wisconsin in December. It's called The Wintress and we shot it over the course of three days down in Kenosha County... (I'm from Twin Lakes, living in L.A. now for 2+ years)...

We've got a "spot holder" page up now, but you'll be able to keep up to date by visiting www.thewintress.com

Also, I've got a pretty good part in a feature film that will be coming out later this year called Target Practice - you can view the trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQrkGBUyCA

Target Practice is a great testament to what Indie filmmakers can do outside of the studio system - this entire film was written, produced and directed by one guy and has gotten some attention to from industry folks around town...

This ends shameless self promotion...

That's the plan... It was rejected from Sundance, but Sundance has turned into less of an "indie" festival and more into an "indie festival where your movie was shot for five million dollars and included one or two 'name' actors"...

So none of us feel really bad about missing out on Sundance. But he's pushing it heavy, and a few of the major distribution channels here in L.A. have shown interest, so we'll see what happens. It's just about non-stop action and suspense... so if you like action films, you'll like it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

...and more...

while the film I directed is nearing completion (the score is being added now, should have a final cut in a matter of weeks), another production company just released a trailer of a movie I'm in:

This is for the feature length film called Devil on My Shoulder. I spent almost all of August 2007 working in this film and it was a great time/cast. A true testament to indie filmmaking - should be released late 2008/early 2009.

And just to clarify - I don't post these for some ego trip or to say "hey, look at me", - I do it to promote the projects I'm working on and to promote indie filmmaking. There is a lot of stuff being made out there worth seeing that isn't produced by major studios. By clicking on that link above and watching it once (or twice) you are helping support grassroots filmmaking....

Coming to festivals near you...

Bill

I don't post these for some ego trip or to say "hey, look at me", - I do it to promote the projects I'm working on and to promote indie filmmaking.

I wouldn't care if you are. I like to know about movies and think it's great to find movies that had to be good to make it instead of promoted to death to make up for it's cookie cutter content. (Speilberg and Lucas I'm looking at you two) You should be proud of your work and have a right to promote yourself. We'll let you know if you're good or not.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member

The Wintress teaser is the best. Made me want to see it.

Target Practice...I feel like I've seen the entire movie just by watching the trailer, but a good concept.

Devil on my Shoulder...not feeling it.

The Wintress teaser is the best. Made me want to see it.

Target Practice...I feel like I've seen the entire movie just by watching the trailer, but a good concept.

Devil on my Shoulder...not feeling it.

Honest feedback is the best... much appreciated.

And since I wrote, produced and directed The Wintress whereas I'm just acting in the other ones, I'll happily accept the comment...

It's funny the effect that a trailer can have. I can see what you're saying about the Devil on My Shoulder teaser, but based on the script and some of the footage I've seen, it's going to do well... it's a good throwback to the old film noir style set, obviously, in a fully modern setting...

But we'll wait and see....

Thanks everyone for the feedback...

The Wintress reminds me of a joke --

How do you convert your dishwasher into a wood-splitter?...

Give your wife an ax.

Please keep us posted -- obviously this isn't my site, and I don't want to speak out of line, but I don't mind the self-promotion of BF.net members... I like reading about the movies/bands/books/halloween costumes, and other works this community produces.

Especially when you aren't directly trying to get us to buy something, I think it's cool when members show us their achievements. It shows that out community is more dynamic than just a bunch of baseball geeks.

Well, if by more dynamic, you mean I'm a nerd about two things instead of one, then I'm guilty...

I'm excited to get The Wintress into some Milwaukee area festivals - obviously will keep people posted on that.

I have a goal to make some great Wisconsin cinema. Wisconsin is highly underused as far as film goes. Excluding the big Dillinger film being shot there now, I think there is a lot more that can be done. I've got at least two feature scripts right now that I'd love to direct back home.

I'll never ask you to buy anything - but I may ask you to be an extra http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again for the support...

I live in Twin Lakes, but only for a few years now. My wife's been here for a long time. Her kids (ages 30, 28, and 22) all went to Wilmot High School. I wonder if they'd recognize you in the films?

I live in Twin Lakes, but only for a few years now. My wife's been here for a long time. Her kids (ages 30, 28, and 22) all went to Wilmot High School. I wonder if they'd recognize you in the films?

Well... I'm 28 and went to Wilmot High School... so it's possible... I'm class of 97 - and it's a small class... If she's been in Twin Lakes for a long time now I may have even gone to Lakewood School with the kids...

(this is making feel like I'm getting old...)

• 3 months later...

Well everyone here's an update:

I'm excited to announce that my directorial debut, The Wintress, will make its world premiere in the great state of Wisconsin - just on the wrong side of the state for most of my family and friends.

The Wintress will premiere October 10 at the Flyway Film Festival in Pepin, Wisconsin - I'm going to make the trip home to the midwest for this - and can't tell you how excited I am to debut a Wisconsin film in Wisconsin.

Expectations are tempered because it's a first year festival, but it sounds like it'll be a fun weekend.

So if anyone is near Pepin... check it out:

www.flywayfilmfestival.org

And, of course,

www.thewintress.com

(Between this and the Packers winning, it's all numbing the Brewers collapse for me a bit)...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How do you finance these pics? I'm always interested to see how indie pics get made.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How do you finance these pics? I'm always interested to see how indie pics get made.
The only film in this bunch I can speak of on that level is The Wintress - the rest of the films I've mentioned are only ones I've acted in, so I'm sure each of those directors/producers have gone about it different ways.

For The Wintress, it's all personally funded. Scrape here, scrape there until you get enough together to cover people's food, lodging and supplies.

Luckily I have made some great connections and almost all of the equipment was owned by my crew members - so things like the camera, lights, sound, etc. were all provided for free. Those guys come on board as executive producer types. My wife was a great assistant and cook for the whole shoot. My brother, dad, aunt and various other friends and relatives all helped out for free...

Needless to say we were able to make this film at a fraction of the cost of what it would take had I not had those connections - or had I tried to shoot it in California.

Everyone in the Cities is near Pepin, as it is only an hour and a half away. Judging from the website the area looks fabulous. I've got a wedding to attend that weekend, but I might be able to make it for at least one day.

Good luck at the festival.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived