Brewer Fanatic

AZ Fall League Thread -- Season Complete for Brewers' Kids

DHonks

I saw one Vinny double. He reached out and poked a blooper to RF that fell about mid-way out, 2 feet inside the line. Nice piece of protecting there.

Braun was a treat today in BP. I've seen some guys hit impressive Fall League shows, but what struck me was the sound the ball makes off his bat. It's like taking a good golfer and a bad golfer at the driving range. The good golfer hits nearly every driver at a consistent launch angle and consistently in the sweet spot. The bad golfer might have 10-degrees of variance in launch angle, including tops and popups.

Well, Braun is like that good golfer. Every BP pitch leaves the bat with the same sound, same trajectory.

I was a bit disappointed when he struck out in the 9th/10th on the shoulder high heater (I couldn't show the emotion). Sarfate showed legit velocity today. Both have been very nice to me when I've had the chance to interact with them. I thought about getting an autographed ball, but decided against it. I have them from the last two Falls, though.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, you can listen to Scottsdale Thursday afternoon at 2:00 PM Central -- it'll archive as well:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p?sid=l119

Scottsdale wins Wednesday night, 5-4, with a three-run 8th

Audio archive will eventually be available at the above link, just not as of this post time...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;did=milb

Phoenix Top 5th

- Pitcher Change: Steve Bray replaces Daniel Davidson.

- Landon Powell called out on strikes.

- Richie RobnettIII pops out to third baseman Ryan Braun.

- Fernando Perez bunt grounds out, pitcher Steve Bray to first baseman Mark Reynolds.

Bray has now made ten appearances, so his exact game-by-game AFL stats are available here -- he's been a good story all of 2006:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...pid=449081

Phoenix Top 7th

- Pitcher Change: Alec Zumwalt replaces Wesley Whisler.

- Landon Powell grounds out, shortstop Kevin Frandsen to first baseman Mark Reynolds.

- Richie RobnettIII homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.

- Fernando Perez walks.

- Ben Zobrist flies out to center fielder Steve Moss.

- Curtis Thigpen strikes out swinging.

Zumwalt's game log page reflects all but his first outing -- home runs have been an issue for him, ten in 65.1 innings, some of them in painful close and late situations:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...pid=430830

Ryan Braun had one line drive single (promptly picked off first). Otherwise, quiet days for he and Steve Moss. Vinny Rottino idle...

is there any doubt that Braun's bat is ready for the majors?

He still strikes out a ton and we've heard mixed reviews from scouts (trouble with inside fastballs). But even if his bat is ready, his glove is pretty far behind. If the Brewers are serious about contending this year, they can't afford a Weeks-like error streak while he tries to figure out how to field. Let him figure that out in AAA.

Yeah, and I remember when everyone on this board thought Corey Hart couldn't hit.......something about elbow position. The fact is that nobody can say how a young prospect will fair in MLB until said prospect is given a fair shake in (guess where)that's right, MLB.

Yeah, and I remember when everyone on this board thought Corey Hart couldn't hit.......something about elbow position. The fact is that nobody can say how a young prospect will fair in MLB until said prospect is given a fair shake in (guess where)that's right, MLB.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there were some who (foolishly) claimed Hart would never hit. I'm not saying Braun will never field; I'm saying he needs to improve on it before he earns his shot. That is, afterall, what the minors are for.

I believe that there was one person on the board who predicted that Hart's mechanics (elbow) were going to prevent him from being a MLB caliber hitter. It is completely inaccurate to say that everyone who posts here believes / believed that.

When talking about Braun's defense it is important to think about where we want him to refine those skills. We needed Week's bat badly enough that we were willing to suffer through a ton of errors to let him develop in the bigs.

The question in Spring Training will be do we need Braun's bat badly enough to let him (potentially) butcher a position for a season or two? (As well as start the arby clock of someone who has the potential to become an elite player at a young age.)

nice inherited jam that dennis sarfate just got out of to earn his second save. 1st & 2nd, nobody out in a one run game and he induces a pop out double play and a strikeout to end the game.

i'm looking forward to seeing him head north at the end of spring training.

Listen to Dennis Sarfate's save, as described above, at the archived link for November 9th, at the 3 hour, eight minute mark -- get ready for an oddly umpire-called infield-fly rule that helped quite a bit, but still good work by Dennis:

Sarfate now with 22 K's in 13 innings.

Ryan Braun finally with a tough day, Vinny Rottino on base three times -- one stolen base against while catching, and Steve Moss walked twice:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...n_peswin_1

Frog, I totally agree that Braun needs to work on his fielding while still in the minors. That is what they are for, I wholeheartedly agree with you. My biggest thing is I get frustrated with people who assume someone can't do something before they even get the opportunity to do it. I am not, repeat, not saying that you were doing that....I just was venting some frustration at no one in particular.

Trust me, I'm as excited as anyone to have Braun as a Brewer. I'll just save my judgement until I have something from his Major League career to judge.

The Brewers' site jinxed Steve Bray today -- he surrenders the losing run in Scottsdale's 5-4, ten-inning defeat Friday night.

Vinny Rottino 0-for-4 (two K's); one passed ball behind the plate, no baserunner attempted a steal against him.

Day off for Braun and Moss; Manny Parra starts Saturday at 8:00 Central -- no audio, Gameday at MiLB.com...

Scottsdale wins 4-3 Saturday night

Dennis Sarfate gets the save:

Grand Canyon Top 9th

- Pitcher Change: Dennis Sarfate replaces Justin Hedrick.

- Jeff Fiorentino flies out to right fielder David Cook.

- Neil Walker singles on a ground ball to right fielder David Cook.

- Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Chris Lubanski replaces Neil Walker.

- Anthony Webster singles on a ground ball to second baseman Mark Reynolds. Chris Lubanski to 2nd.

- Fernando Cortez grounds into double play, third baseman Kevin Frandsen to second baseman Mark Reynolds to first baseman Vinny Rottino. Anthony Webster out at 2nd.

Steve Moss (.200) 0-for-3 with a walk and SB.

Vinny Rottino (.213) was 0-for-4.

Box Score / Game Log:

Day off Sunday, Scottsdale audio available 2:00 Central on Monday.

Scottsdale wins, 6-2, Monday afternoon

Braun carries Scorpions over Sags

Ryan Braun tripled, doubled and plated two runs to lead visiting Scottsdale to a 6-2 victory over the Peoria Saguaros on Monday.

The Milwaukee third-base prospect drove in Steve Moss with a double in the two-run first inning and brought home Kevin Frandsen with a triple in the three-run third as the Scorpions jumped out to a 6-1 lead.

Frandsen's average dropped to .421 after he went 1-for-4 with a run scored. He holds a slim lead in the AFL batting race after Yunel Escobar went 3-for-4 to raise his average to .410.

Scottsdale (15-14) scored all its runs off Peoria starter Stuart Pomeranz (1-2), who pitched a four-hitter over five scoreless innings in his last outing. The St. Louis prospect couldn't get an out in the third and watched his ERA rise to 9.00 after giving up seven hits, walking three and striking out one.

A trio of Saguaros relievers kept the Scorpions off the board the rest of the way, but Peoria (13-16) couldn't get anything going against starter Steven Jackson and five others.

Jackson left after allowing a run on five hits and a walk while fanning four over four innings. Wesley Whisler (1-1) picked up the win with a perfect sixth.

The Scorpions have won four of their last five, while the Saguaros have lost three of four. -- Dan Friedell/MLB.com

Audio available here from the 13th:

Box Score / Game Log:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...n_peswin_1

Audio of this sequence begins at the 3:45 mark:

- Steve Moss doubles (3) on a ground ball to left fielder Kory Casto.

- Kevin Frandsen hit by pitch.

- Ryan Braun doubles (8) on a fly ball to left fielder Kory Casto. Steve Moss scores. Kevin Frandsen to 3rd.

Braun's triple comes at the 39:00 minute mark.

Two-out trouble for Alec Zumwalt (audio at the 1:28 mark)

Peo Saguaros Bottom 5th

- Pitcher Change: Alec Zumwalt replaces Steven Jackson.

- Brendan Ryan flies out to left fielder Steve Moss.

- Eric Duncan grounds out, second baseman Danny Richar to first baseman Jamie D'Antona.

- Jason Jaramillo walks.

- Kory Casto walks. Jason Jaramillo to 2nd.

- Amaury Marti singles on a ground ball to center fielder Bradley Coon. Jason Jaramillo scores. Kory Casto to 2nd.

- Chase Headley lines out to second baseman Danny Richar.

Peo Saguaros Bottom 7th

- Pitcher Change: Steve Bray replaces Wesley Whisler.

- Brendan Ryan pops out to shortstop Kevin Frandsen.

- Eric Duncan singles on a soft fly ball to center fielder Bradley Coon.

- Jason Jaramillo grounds into double play, first baseman - Jamie D'Antona to shortstop Kevin Frandsen to first baseman Jamie D'Antona. Eric Duncan out at 2nd.

Bray's outing begins at the 1:55 mark.

Zumwalt has now walked 15 and struck out three in 12 innings, a fact that wasn't lost on the announcers today.

Nobody attempted to run on Vinny Rottino today. Vinny was 0-for-2, two walks (picked off and caught stealing).

Manny Parra not scheduled to pitch Tuesday either, wonder if he's been shut down in this final week...

Scottsdale loses, 5-2, Tuesday afternoon

Ryan Braun 2-for-4 with a single and ground-rule double; Moss and Rottino idle.

Phoenix Top 8th

- Pitcher Change: Dennis Sarfate replaces Patrick Misch.

- Chip Cannon walks.

- Brent Clevlen strikes out swinging.

- Kody Kirkland grounds into a force out, shortstop Kevin Frandsen to second baseman Danny Richar. Chip Cannon out at 2nd. Kody Kirkland to 1st.

- Javon Moran singles on a ground ball to right fielder Mark Reynolds. Kody Kirkland to 3rd.

- With Landon Powell batting, Javon Moran steals (2) 2nd base.

- Landon Powell flies out to right fielder Mark Reynolds.

Only two more games remain for the Scorpions, who won't be part of Saturday's championship game.

Both games will be available in live and archived audio, 8:00 PM Central Wednesday and 2:00 PM Central Thursday.

Update: Braun is now batting .321 and slugging .664 driving his OPS up to a lofty 1.067

I don't know why, but I was still hesitant about Braun until this AFL campaign. However, he is absolutely raking (3rd highest OPS in the league) and has really convinced me that he will perform at every level. The only thing that worries me (a little)is that he is in the top 20 in strikeouts as well.

I can't wait until we can use Koskie as trade bait mid-season and we get to watch him mash in Milwaukee every day. Count me in as being on the bandwagon!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What's impressed me with Braun this year has been his steady improvement throughout the year - from A to AA to AFL.

His walk rate has improved at each stop. His slugging percentage too. His extra base hits went from 21 in 62 hits at A, to 45 of 70 at AA, to 15 of 26 in the Arizona league. He's not been caught stealing at AA or the AFL. I don't expect lots of stolen bases, but smart base running is something the team needs.

His K rate has been pretty consistent, though increasing a bit in the AFL from AA. Nothing huge, however.

Now we just have to determine where he's going to play.

I agree, Braun's progression has been especially encouraging. However, it's important to remember that the AFL does definitely favor hitters.

As for Sarfate, it's been nice to see him string together several scoreless outings. I will say though that he doesn't seem to be able to get out of any inning without a little bit of work, as he seems to throw about 25 or so pitches/inning. That's a minor complaint, as not allowing runners to score is obviously the biggest thing, and you can't argue with his stuff.

He's a number 5 overall pick from a top collegiate program. It should surprise nobody that he's raking against minor league pitching. After all Ryan Zimmerman just got edged out for NL rookie of the year was taken one pick ahead of Braun.

What's surprising is that Brewers are giving no indication that Braun has a shot as opening day 3rd baseman.

I still don't like the correlation between Braun and Zimmerman. Yes, it probably shouldn't be a big surprise that Braun is succeeding, but just because Zimmerman has done what he has done so quickly doesn't correlate at all to what Braun is doing, no matter where they were taken in the draft.

And why is it that surprising that the Brewers have given no indication that Braun has a shot as the opening day 3B? The Brewers in recent years have made sure to move their prospects one level up at a time, including Rickie Weeks two years ago, who also was coming off of a very fine performance in the AFL.

Whether or not you want Braun to be the opening day starter at 3B to open '07, more likely than not he will open the '07 in Nashville. Sure, he may be up midseason, if not earlier, but chances are that he opens the season in the minors.

Nothing stands out to hunt for audio-wise from Wednesday night's 5-2 Scottsdale loss:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...n_surwin_1

Vinny Rottino had a passed ball that led to a first-inning run. He singled leading off the 3rd, but was caught stealing.

Ryan Braun had a line drive single in the 2nd, but was doubled off second base on a fly to left. That one play is at the 39:00 minute audio mark, it was a hit-and-run situation...

Steve Moss (RF) 0-for-4.

Archived audio:

Thursday's finale for Scottsdale is at 2:00 Central at the same link.

Archived