Brewer Fanatic

AZ Fall League Thread -- Season Complete for Brewers' Kids

DHonks

Sad to say the Brewers are pretty unknown in my neck of the woods.

I've always tried to be a pusher with my international student friends. "Dude, if you're gonna buy an American baseball hat, you should buy the coolest looking one, like that old school Brewers one. Sure, you could go back to Japan with a Yankees hat, but you can buy those over there, not too special."

That, and I try to buy Brewers stuff every time a friend of mine has a kid - you can never start too early.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the opposite. They even boosted the pitcher roster limit this year in part to get more quality arms into the league.

Toby, it seems to me that the Fall League rosters have fewer starting pitchers. I think we have 5-7 starters this year. The rest are all relievers. So I think the idea is to make it a league where games are like modern All-star games, with a starter going 2-5 IP, and then marching the relievers in for an inning at a time. Two years ago when our squad won it, we lacked starting pitching, but had Wes Wilkerson (minor league free agent, I think) throwing 95 with tons of movement coming in for the 7th (I think he had just converted to pitching that year, too), and then Huston Street for the 8th and 9th.

Now teams seem to be built with 2-4 decent starters, and then a ton of potential closer prospects. I think our squad has 2-4 minor league "closers" (in quotes, since some didn't close this year, but are perceived as future closers)

"Dude, if you're gonna buy an American baseball hat, you should buy the coolest looking one, like that old school Brewers one. Sure, you could go back to Japan with a Yankees hat, but you can buy those over there, not too special."

I really like the royal blue "ball & glove" cap from this season's retro unis. It will definitely be the next thing I'm getting soon.

Scottsdale wins, 3-1, Tuesday night

Vinny Rottino 1-for-4 and a clean game behind the plate (one SB allowed); Steve Moss 1-for-2 with a walk and SB; Dennis Sarfate with a perfect inning of relief; Ryan Braun and the other pitchers idle...

Box Score and GameDay:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...n_gcrwin_1

I didn't get a chance to see the first inning, but when I arrived the Solar Sox had one run on zero hits. The Scorpion's catcher didn't help the staff much with his arm, as it seemed like anyone who reached base stole automatically.

It seemed like Braun could have taken four walks if he wanted to. In the at bat he did walk, he looked completely comfortable with every pitch coming in, and looked somewhat discouraged after drawing the free pass.

After that he went on to hit two monsterous...flyouts. Scottsdale Stadium is a pretty deep park (360 in the corners and 430 to center), and I'd say one if not both of his flyouts would have been gone in Milwaukee.

Zumwalt looked pretty good. 1, 2, 3 in his only inning, throwing almost exclusively fastballs.

Steve Moss played well in center. He made a real nice play on a liner tailing to his right. It looked hard to judge off the bat, but he took a good route and made the play. Earlier in the game he did get picked off at firsthttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif.

Fun game overall.

Scottsdale wins, 12-9, Friday night:

Ryan Braun, DH, batting 3rd, now 10-for-31 (.323, six extra-base hits, 12 RBI):

- Two-run HR in the 1st, his 3rd of the season

- Pops out with a man on 2nd and two out in the 3rd

- Pops out with men on 1st and 3rd and one out in the 5th

- Grounds out leading off the 7th

- walks with two out and aman on 2nd in the 8th; later part of a double steal, eventually scores

Vinny Rottino, RF, batting 5th, now 7-for-30 (.233, four extra-base hits, seven RBI)

- Flies out to RF to end the 1st, bases empty

- Strikes out swinging in the 4th, one out, bases empty

- Doubles on a line drive to left with two out and the bases loaded in the 5th, two RBI

- Flies out to CF to end the 7th, bases empty

- HBP, two out, man on 2nd, in the 8th

Steve Moss, CF, batting 9th, now 7-for-30 (.233, five walks, 4-for-5 in SB attempts)

- Flies out to RF leading off the 3rd

- Singles on a sharp line drive to center field, driving in a run, one out in the 5th

- Grounds out softly to pitcher, moving runners on 1st and 2nd up with no outs in the 6th (swinging bunt)

- Singles on a ground ball to left field, scoring a man from 2nd with two out in the 8th, sparking a five-run two-out rally to win the game

Alec Zumwalt's 6th inning:

- Brett Carroll grounds out, pitcher Alec Zumwalt to first baseman Mark Reynolds.

- Josh Burrus singles on a line drive to left fielder David Cook.

- With Matt Tuiasosopo batting, Josh Burrus steals (4) 2nd base.

- Matt Tuiasosopo walks.

- Javi Herrera grounds into double play, shortstop Andy Gonzalez to second baseman Danny Richar to first baseman Mark Reynolds. Matt Tuiasosopo out at 2nd.

Dennis Sarfate's 8th inning:

- Matt Tuiasosopo singles on a ground ball to pitcher Dennis Sarfate.

- With Javi Herrera batting, passed ball by James D'Antona, Matt Tuiasosopo to 2nd.

- Javi Herrera walks.

- Michael Garciaparra singles on a line drive to right fielder Vinny Rottino. Matt Tuiasosopo scores. Javi Herrera to 2nd.

- With Jacoby Ellsbury batting, wild pitch by Dennis Sarfate, Javi Herrera to 3rd.

- Jacoby Ellsbury lines out to third baseman Matthew Brown.

- Yunel Escobar singles on a fly ball to right fielder Vinny Rottino. Javi Herrera scores. Michael Garciaparra to 2nd.

- Coaching visit to mound.

- Trevor Crowe grounds into a force out, third baseman Matthew Brown to shortstop Andy Gonzalez to second baseman Danny Richar. Michael Garciaparra to 3rd. Yunel Escobar out at 2nd. Trevor Crowe to 1st.

- Kevin Kouzmanoff strikes out swinging.

Braun with a 3-run bomb today his only hit in 5 ABs. Rottino adds his first AFL dinger to go along with a pair of hits and a pair of walks, and Moss keeps teasing us with another pair of hits (and a walk).

Bray's outing not worth mentioning.

didn't see much, but Braun's homer was kind of cheap. The wind was calm, and it just took off. Seemed to be a routine fly short of the track off the bat, till I saw the outfielder leap at the fence.

Moss lost a few in the sun, as it is at a very poor angle behind the dish at around 3-4 pm. But he appears very smooth out there.

Link to Saturday's box score:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;did=milb

On that link you'll find the game log, linked below. Real simple to follow the exploits of Braun, Rottino, and Moss there, and check out Steve Bray's rough 5th inning:

And of course, if you click on a player's name in the box score, you get a fantastic link, such as Steve Moss's here, showing his OBP at .385 after 11 games:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...pid=448184

Basically, MLBAM (Major League Baseball Advanced Media) has upped their Minor League statistical coverage to the point of incredible from non-existant three years ago.

The AFL is idle on Sunday.

Day off for Vinny Rottino and Steve Moss Monday as Scottsdale loses, 5-3:

Alec Zumwalt's 5th inning:

- Jason Jaramillo flies out to center fielder Jerry Owens.

- Josh Whitesell walks.

- Chase Headley walks. Josh Whitesell to 2nd.

- Nick Stavinoha grounds into double play, shortstop Andy Gonzalez to second baseman Kevin Frandsen to first baseman Mark Reynolds. Chase Headley out at 2nd.

Ryan Braun, 3B, batting cleanup, now at .308 (12-for-39, eight extra-base hits, 17 RBI)

- pops up in the 1st, man on first, one out

- walks leading off the 4th

- flies out to left in the 6th, man on first, one out

- doubles on a line drive to center field in the 8th, men on 1st and 2nd, none out, both runners score

Scottsdale cruises, 12-6 on Tuesday, as Manny Parra throws four scoreless, watching as his mates jumped out to a 7-0 early lead:

Parra's day:

Peo Javelinas Top 1st

- Jacoby Ellsbury doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder David Cook.

- Yunel Escobar out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Matthew Brown to first baseman James D'Antona. Jacoby Ellsbury to 3rd.

- Trevor Crowe pops out to catcher Vinny Rottino in foul territory.

- Kevin Kouzmanoff walks.

- Gaby Sanchez grounds out sharply, pitcher Manny Parra to first baseman James D'Antona.

Peo Javelinas Top 2nd

- Chad Spann grounds out, third baseman Matthew Brown to first baseman James D'Antona.

- Michael Wilson flies out to left fielder Fred Lewis.

- Dustin Brown flies out to left fielder Fred Lewis.

Peo Javelinas Top 3rd

- Joe Inglett grounds out, shortstop Andy Gonzalez to first baseman James D'Antona.

- Jacoby Ellsbury singles on a ground ball to second baseman Danny Richar.

- Yunel Escobar grounds into double play, shortstop Andy Gonzalez to second baseman Danny Richar to first baseman James D'Antona. Jacoby Ellsbury out at 2nd.

Peo Javelinas Top 4th

- Trevor Crowe flies out to center fielder David Cook.

- Kevin Kouzmanoff singles on a ground ball to left fielder Fred Lewis.

- Gaby Sanchez flies out to right fielder Steve Moss in foul territory.

- Chad Spann grounds into a force out, shortstop Andy Gonzalez to second baseman Danny Richar. Kevin Kouzmanoff out at 2nd.

Dennis Sarfate worked the 9th with a 12-5 lead:

Peo Javelinas Top 9th

- Pitcher Change: Dennis Sarfate replaces Chris Kinsey.

- Brian Cleveland singles on a line drive to center fielder Jerry Owens.

- With Jacoby Ellsbury batting, Brian Cleveland advances to 2nd on a balk.

- Jacoby Ellsbury singles on a soft ground ball to pitcher Dennis Sarfate. Brian Cleveland to 3rd.

- Michael Garciaparra strikes out swinging.

- With Trevor Crowe batting, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to 2nd on defensive indifference.

- Trevor Crowe out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder David Cook. Brian Cleveland scores.

- Kevin Kouzmanoff flies out to center fielder Jerry Owens.

Ryan Braun, batting 3rd, at DH (now leading the league with 20 RBI, Braun is just a slugging machine, two more extra-base hits today):

- flies out to center field in the 1st, one out, bases empty

- called out on strikes to end the 2nd, men on 1st and 2nd

- doubles on a fly ball to right field in the 4th, driving in a run, none out, later scored

- homers on a fly ball to right field, a two-run shot, man was on 1st, one out

- strikes out swinging to end the 7th, men on 1st and 2nd

Vinny Rottino, catching (one stolen base against in one attempt), and batting cleanup:

- doubles on a line drive to center field in the 5th, two outs, bases empty, later scored

- flies out to left field leading off the 3rd

- flies out to right field with none out in the 4th, moving Ryan Braun from 2nd to 3rd base -- nice at-bat

- strikes out swinging, bases empty, one out in the 6th

- grounds out to pitcher leading off the 8th

Steve Moss has now walked eight times in 12 AFL games:

- called out on strikes in the 2nd, man on 2nd, none out -- not a great AB

- walks leading off the 4th, later scores

- grounds out to short to end the 5th, bases empty

- walks in the 7th, one out, bases empty

Brewers scouting director Jack Zduriencik was interviewed on Around the Minors on Tuesday. His interview begins at the 19:00 minute mark of the archived audio. He discusses the AFL guys, talks about fall instructs in general terms, then some specifics including a bit on Brent Brewer, and late signee R.J. Seidel (hitting 92-93). The interview runs close to eight minutes.

On this archive page link, choose the drop-down window for "Around the Minors". Make the AFL on ATM 10/24 choice:

mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ml...rchive.jsp

Archived