Brewer Fanatic

AZ Fall League Thread -- Season Complete for Brewers' Kids

DHonks

I would imagine he'll be there this evening to see Manny and the boys firsthand.

not tonight Mass. I'll be there tomorrow night watching when they come to our park. I think we throw Kyle Yates tonight, but I might be mistaken. With 20 pitchers I have yet to figure out who our starters are, outside of Jeff Niemann and Dustin McGowan.

talked with Pat Listach the other night. He's a great guy. He saw me in a Brewers shirt and asked if I work for them. I said, "no, but your rookie year helped make me a diehard fan." He replied, "Diehard? Man, I'm sorry. That's been a rough few years. At least you've got the Packers....oh, wait."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manny Parra allows four runs in his two-inning start, Alec Zumwalt two doubles and a walk in a shaky inning, Dennis Sarfate 1-2-3 with two K's, and Steve Moss 0-for-2 but with two walks (one caught stealing) in Scottsdale's 7-3 loss Thursday night.

Box Score, Gameday Link:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;did=milb

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
talked with Pat Listach the other night.

I think he's in the running for the Cubs managerial job (although probably low on the list of potential hires)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice game for Brewer farmhands as Scottsdale wins, 11-8, Friday night

Ryan Braun, Vinny Rottino, and Steve Moss combine to reach seven times, with Braun showing off that power bat with three extra-base hits, as noted above -- Rottino doubled as well and Moss was 2-for-2 in SB attempts. Add in a 1-2-3 inning for Steve Bray.

Importantly, Rottino went the distance behind the plate, working with nine different pitchers. No one attempted to run against him, and he committed no defensive mis-plays.

Box Score and GameDay:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...n_pddwin_1

Ugly 32-pitch, four-run 6th inning just completed for Alec Zumwalt Saturday, game still underway.

Everything, good and bad, is so over-examined in these small fall league samples.

And yeah, we're part of that...

EDIT two innings later:

Dennis Sarfate just surrendered five runs (four earned) in the 8th inning -- 31 pitches, 23 for strikes, perhaps too much of the plate too often. Five hits, only one listed as being hit sharply by Gameday. Sarfate struck out three, but one reached base on a wild pitch, which opened the floodgates.

Box Score, GameDay:

Ryan Braun rakin', Steve Moss not...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;did=milb

You should go to a game before you talk about the results. Sarfate gave up two groundball errors that were called hits. The wild pitch on the strike out would have been caught by a regular catcher like bobby wilson. Also sitting by the scouts he was 96- 98 mph on the gun. he is over matching these hitters. 7 K's in 3 innings

You should go to a game before you talk about the results.

Hey, Director of Research and Minor League Link Reporter, you know this isn't the sport with the two peach baskets, right? Oh, so you know, but you just don't manage to attend every game in the Brewers organization? Everyone's replaceable, Mass.

Teasing aside, thanks for the report, Baseball, it's good to know only Zumwalt got shelled fair and square. Any other notes from the game? I'd be interested.

Ah yes, the return of BaseballGod, here to remind us that if we haven't sniffed a professional contract, we're not worthy to comment.

I spun that Sarfate inning as well as I could -- one hard-hit ball. I included the strikeout info. I guess only three of the five hits were legitimate, then.

You continue to make it so easy to root for you, Dennis...

When Mass first posted I was glad to see balls and walks weren't the problem, I wasn't very familiar with Sarfate and didn't know he was potentially DD out of the pen until I looked at some numbers a few days ago.

Sounds like Peoria had somewhere between 4 and 7 outs to play with in that eighth, still the only way Sarfate was overmatching them at that point was by getting everyone tired from running around the bases.

I didn't get to see too much of Friday night's game. Before I had a chance to finish some chores, our hitting coach came in wondering how much time Braun spent in the big leagues this year, because he didn't look like a AA kid.

Got to talk with Braun and Sarfate during/after the game. Both were very nice. Dennis is kind of a fun, goofy guy. He was having fun telling me that he wasn't going to allow an earned run this fall....maybe not even a hit. He felt that after his success in Milwaukee, he could strike everyone in this league out. We even talked about DennisFrancis

Braun was a bit surprising. Doing some chores after the game, he saw my shirt, came up and said, "hey you a Brewer's fan? I'm Ryan, Ryan Braun." So we talked for a few minutes, ending with me wishing them luck.

I also talked briefly with Narron, recalling how I saw his Bugs Bunny-like changeup in spring training '05. He laughed, and he said he's at 100% and looking forward to his opportunities in the organization after signing recently.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
EDIT: fair enough, TC. Removing my post.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Thanks R, you've made up my mind for me. I'm coming up on 1,000 posts, and was thinking maybe I'd just stop at 1,000, and go on to something else more mature and relevant, even though this site is so great. But now I'm sure. That post tells me it'll 1,000 and out for me. Only 4 more to go.

Archived