Brewer Fanatic

AZ Fall League Thread -- Season Complete for Brewers' Kids

DHonks
Quote:
I'm not really sure on the AZ Fall League rules but would Corey Hart be elligable? He really could use the at-bats considering his limited playing time this year.

Yes, he'll be eligible. They were gonna send Hardy last year but changed their minds at the last minute.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Zumwalt become a guy the Brewers think could actually pitch in the bigs?

Danzig, I have no idea, but they really have been very tentative with him. When they got him, I thought he was rumored to throw in the mid-90s, but there's not much info about him

Zumwalt has only been pitching for a few years, so it isn't hard to see him as a late-bloomer. And I'll pay myself on the back for the Bray call.

It's a good sign that Parra is included - if they aren't trying to severely limit his innings, it might be a sign that he's actually getting pretty healthy.

It will be good to see Parra in the AFL. When this season is over with, his innings total should be close to what he pitched all of last year (around 90 innings). Tack on the AFL workload as a starter (the league leader in innings pitched last fall was just over 30 innings) and you have a pretty reasonable jump for Parra.

If I remember correctly from last season, a guy can go to the AFL if he has one year or less in the majors. That would exclude Corey.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers will be sending:

Steve Bray

Manny Parra

Dennis Sarfate

Alec Zumwalt

Vinny Rottino

Steve Moss

Ryan Braun

Zumwalt has been in pro ball since 1999, and is still only 25 (he didn't pitch his first three pro years). He was actually a free agent after the 2005 season, and re-signed with the Brewers in December. So unless he's added to the 40-man roster, he's free to go elsewhere in late October. So he'll be pitching for a 40-man spot, similar to what Brian Wolfe (Corey Koskie trade) did last fall.

Capellan and Zumwalt for Dan Kolb -- deal still looks sweet.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Interesting stuff from Baseball Prospectus, both free -- just focus on the "Scottsdale Scorpions" updates if you wish:

Part I:

baseballprospectus.com/ar...cleid=5588

Part II:

Steve Moss (Brewers) was a big disappointment at Double-A this year, which says a lot as not much was expected from him in the first place.

baseballprospectus.com/ar...cleid=5589

Quote:
Steve Moss (Brewers) was a big disappointment at Double-A this year, which says a lot as not much was expected from him in the first place.

ouch....I wonder if fall ball is make or break for Steve as a starter...Fermaint deserves CF in huntsville...with nix gwynn and nelson in Nashville, Moss may find himself on the bench in AA next year

talked with someone in the know today, and Josh Baker is doing well after having off-season shoulder surgery. That's all I got out of him. Baker was a person I was intrigued by, but like his 3 teammates, he needed surgery. It was awkward how little we heard of him this year.

And if you really are curious who my source is, I'm sure those who have read my posts can figure it out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This may be a lame question, but when does the AZL start?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

talked with someone in the know today, and Josh Baker is doing well after having off-season shoulder surgery. That's all I got out of him. Baker was a person I was intrigued by, but like his 3 teammates, he needed surgery. It was awkward how little we heard of him this year.

And if you really are curious who my source is, I'm sure those who have read my posts can figure it out.

Interesting news on Baker. I was really excited when we picked him a couple of years ago. He didn't exactly perform as I had expected (I expected him to cruise to AA quickly), but I hope the surgery has improved his situation. When do they expect him to begin throwing again? Any idea?

fyi....I have yet to determine your source...but don't try too hard either. I hope he/she remains anonymous so you can continue the excellent insight!

He didn't exactly perform as I had expected (I expected him to cruise to AA quickly), but I hope the surgery has improved his situation. When do they expect him to begin throwing again? Any idea?

I'll ask on Wed or Thurs. I really was looking forward to him jumping through the system. I thought he had the best looking motion of the four Rice pitchers.

The Brewers will be sending:

Steve Bray

Manny Parra

Dennis Sarfate

Alec Zumwalt

Vinny Rottino

Steve Moss

Ryan Braun

League officials have expanded the pitching staffs in the AFL to 20 pitchers for each of the six teams in order to allow coaches to better balance workloads, and to try and keep the inflated offense of prior years down.

As part of that expansion, the Brewers have added 6'7" 25-year-old LHP Sam Narron, who missed the 2005 season due to Tommy John surgery, to the squad. He pitched pretty well in 55.1 carefully scheduled innings for Brevard this past season.

foamboy,

the update on Baker is that he feels he hurt his shoulder during his senior year of high school. Apparently his surgery this offseason was on both the labrum and rotator cuff. He now claims to feel better while throwing than he has in at least 5 years, possibly more. He had his first in-game throwing since the surgery last week.

7:35 p.m. Chalk up the defensive gem of the day, maybe of the week, quite conceivably of the AFL season (even though it's not yet a day old). In the top of the second inning, with the bases loaded, Cardinals outfielder Nick Stavinoha launches an apparent extra-bases bomb to right-center field. But right fielder Steve Moss of the Milwaukee Brewers defies gravity as he makes a four-star diving catch.

Full Day 1 recap:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Scottsdale loses Wednesday, 15-9

Vinny Rottino, starting at catcher and later moving to first base, doubled twice (2-for-4), and drove in five runs.

Ryan Braun, at DH, 0-for-5 with three strikeouts, stole a base after reaching on a fielder's choice, scored a run after reaching on an error.

Steve Moss popped out and struck out in two AB's after entering the game in left field.

LHP Sam Narron allowed an inherited run to score when the first batter he faced (left-handed bat Vince Sinisi) hit a two-run HR off him with two out in the 3rd. The next batter grounded back to Narron, ending his outing.

RHP Steve Bray had a tough 8th inning (called strikeout, HR, E-5, single, double, sacrifice fly, swinging K), three runs allowed, one earned.

The Gameday for this game is available here:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=l119

Manny Parra is scheduled to start for Scottsdale Thursday night when the Scorpions host Phoenix, 9:05 Central.

There should be a Gameday you can follow at the AFL home page:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...p?sid=l119

Brewerfan regular poster DHonks is a clubbie for Phoenix. I would imagine he'll be there this evening to see Manny and the boys firsthand.

Archived