Brewer Fanatic

AZ Fall League Thread -- Season Complete for Brewers' Kids

DHonks

So, who would people like to see represent the Crew in the Fall League? Generally a team gets 6 players.

I would like to see them send:

Steve Hammond

Manny Parra

Narron/Jones/Rogers

Ryan Braun

Brendan Katin/Rottino

Lou Palmisano

I figure 3 pitchers, heavily leaning towards rehab guys and college picks. I don't figure we have a worthy 2b, SS, or 1b to send from the AA/AAA levels, and Escobar and Iribarren should be in winter ball.

I listed Katin as our OF, since he's in A+, and a fall league club can have 1 or two A ballers, total. Rottino could be in his place, playing all over. And I'm sure they'd love to send Palmisano to try to get him on the right track

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alcides and Iribarren also I like to see.

- Escobar did great last year and playing in that league and it can only make him better, he wasnt over-matched at all it seemed.

- Iribarren is a great player that they should really be looking at def with Weeks having injuries in his first two seasons not he is continually goin to get hurt but they need to help get Iribarren ready incase it does happen again. The guy can flat out get hits and if Weeks is to go down he is the guy I'd like in there. So the AFL is the best way to start to get him ready. Along with an over due promotion to AA.

Gallardo, Jones, Parra, Braun are the 4 that I think should be looks if they are healthy

I felt that Escobar and Iribarren weren't being considered, because I'm pretty sure the league has a rule where a player cannot play in the AFL unless the team's in his native country don't want him. In Escobar's case, he wasn't good enough to make his nation's winterball clubs, so he was elligible for the AFL.

so I was thinking about it, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Brewers allocate Gwynn, Nix, and/or Krynzel to the AFL. Perhaps Sarfate as closer, or Hendrickson as a reliever. The reason is that several are out of options, and the Brewers likely will be making decisions on them.

yo isn't a definite if he's already thrown 140 innings this year...what does he need to work on or do?

\

hammond maybe...moss, why?

palmisano is a good call..that seems like a good possibility---rotino as well

The rules stipulate,

"* All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.

* One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team."

So that means 5 of the 6 must be AA or AAA. So of A players, one of the Brevard County players (Iribarren/Katin/Escobar/Gamel/M. Jones) can be there.

Of the others, I think Sarfate is a no-brainer given his move to the pen, and the need to make a decision on him next spring. In addition, I'd go with Braun, Parra, and Palmisano.

For the last spot I'd consider one of Gwynn, Krynzel, Drew Anderson if we wanted another position player. If we went with another pitcher, I'd go with Hendrickson, Ballouli (recently converted to pen and need to see what we have), or a young arm like ZackJack, Villanueva.

I can't believe Krynzel will be there, he's well down on the prospect scale these days

Al, in past years working the league, we've seen different organizational philosophies. For instance, the DRays sent a hodge-podge. They sent two undrafted overachievers (Elliot Johnson, Brian Stokes), a college stud who held out (Wade Townsend), a decent power prospect at the corners (Wes Bankston), and a decent pitching prospect who had almost pitched himself out of organized ball before he had a revelation (Jamie Shields, now on the DRays).

The Braves sent us Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Ryan Basner, Paul Bush, Jonathon Schuerholz, Josh Burris, and Ryan Tucker...how many of them are top prospects?

The Dodgers sent us James Loney, Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, Tony Abreu, Eric Hull, and Beau Danmiller. That's pretty darn good. Oh, and Greg Miller was there about two weeks.

In two years, the A's have sent Shane Komine (starting today), John Baker, Jeremy Brown, Andre Ethier, Kurt Suzuki, Huston Street, etc. The Dbacks have sent Stephen Drew and Casey Daigle-Finch (just kidding).

But just as the Braves only sent one stud, the Philles sent us Ryan Howard, Carlos Ruiz, and a bunch of AA/AAA fodder. The Angels sent a bunch of guys in '04 that have seen big league time, but the only impact player of the group was Mike Napoli.

Some teams like to send their top arms, as the Brewers have sent Hendrickson, Sarfate, Eveland, etc. Some like to send rehabbing pitchers, since it can help them make up for missing a chunk of time. Some refuse to send top pitchers. Some send their best hitters, while others send just about anyone. Remember, the teams have priority players. While I've never been in on a meeting, it basically comes down to 6 farm directors sitting around (or conference call) and saying "well, I'd like to send Fielder and have him play each day." "I'd like to send Brandon Wood and have him play each day". The priority guys must play 5 of the 6 days each week, unless hurt.

The Brewers always seem to send a reliever. Dennis Sarfate may be a good bet since the organization finally seemed to have converted him to the pen. Joe Thatcher just sprung to mind, a guy that they may want to try and push as a left-handed reliever similar to Mitch Stetter. Maybe even someone like Robert Hinton or Ben Stanczyk would be challenged in such a move.

I agree that one of Palmisano or Rottino should be sent. I don't know how much playing time Rottino would receive as a catcher though, even if he is a priority type of player.

Braun's a lock, I think everyone agrees on that one.

Parra is a virtual lock, and JohnBriggs brings up a good point about him being bumped up just in time.

Pogo brings up a good point about Gallardo. When the season is all said & done, he's going to have plenty of innings under his belt, no reason to push that total unnecessarily higher. Hammond will be up there as well, although not as high as Gallardo, as noted before he was a reliever in college and is only a year removed from not being used so much.

Katin, Rogers & Jones would all be candidates among the A-ballers (adding to the possible reliever listed above). Jones & Rogers in particular could use the work, although I'm sure they'll get plenty in the fall instructional camp.

My official guesses:

Braun

Parra

Sarfate

Palmisano

Jones

Gwynn

Joe Thatcher just sprung to mind, a guy that they may want to try and push as a left-handed reliever similar to Mitch Stetter

actually Colby, mentioning thatcher reminds me of them sending Bausher and Wolf to the AFL over prospects. Perhaps there's a player that isn't from the organization originally who they'd want to send.

Perhaps there's a player that isn't from the organization originally who they'd want to send.

Which is why I'm guessing:

Steve Bray

Ryan Braun

Manny Parra

Dennis Sarfate

Drew Anderson or Steve Hammond

Joe Thatcher

The Brewers need relievers, so it makes sense to send a number of them to the team. Bray and Sarfate could help next year, and Thatcher and Hammond shortley thereafter. Braun should be a lock. Gallardo has too many innings, Jones shouldn't be pushed. Parra could use the innings. Anderson might sneek in if other teams want pitchers too.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that the schedule has been released, and tomorrow the tentative rosters get released.

It looks like the league wants Scottsdale to win it all once again, as they have the talent-rich Brewers, Angels, and Dbacks on the squad.

The squad I'll be with will once again feature the A's and DRays, along with the Reds, Blue Jays, and Tigers, which makes laundry easy to sort since only the A's and DRays have one color the same...Green.

It'll be my 3rd go round in the game, and we'll be going for a 3rd title (clubbies all over are jealous)

well, the tentative rosters are out.

The Brewers will be sending:

Steve Bray

Manny Parra

Dennis Sarfate

Alec Zumwalt

Vinny Rottino

Steve Moss

Ryan Braun

So we were right on Braun, Rottino, Parra, and Sarfate, and we also were correct that they'd send a journeyman of sorts in Bray. I'm kind of surprised Moss is going and not Gwynn, but maybe he'll get a september callup.

Archived