Brewer Fanatic

Linux?

sbrylski

Nice! work and games prevent me from switching over. I guess it all comes down to how easy and use friendly you want it to be. Ubuntu is pretty snazy and easy to you, while Debian will take some more read mes to get what you need to get done.

I would suggest multi-booting till you commit to an OS. Try a few distros and find one that fits you the best.

I'm considering trying out Linux OS. I've come to use the wisdom that is this off-topic forum.

Do you have it? Do you like it?

What are the main cons of switching?

What else should I know, without getting too detailed?

About 8 years ago I just got so sick of Windows and at the same time happened to be taking a computer programming class that used the Linux enivorment. At the time I mainly just built my own computers so it was easy for me to just have a windows hard drive and a linux harddrive so I could dual boot. I used the linux system happily for about 6 years, using it about 70% of the time, and Windows 30% of the time (mostly for games, financial programs and things like EXCEL).

I used RedHat with the GNOME desktop. At the time it was pretty decent and kept getting better with each new release. My main gripe with it was that whenever I found a new program and wanted to install it I'd find out that there were loads of package dependencies and it took at least half a day to get stuff working right (sometimes longer). For all I know this has changed in the last two years, but that's how it was for me anyway.

I finally got sick of having to go back and forth between the two systems and got a Mac. Having said that, I kept my linux box around for a while as it played very nicely with my Mac (which of course is Unix based).

So, I'd agree with sgtcluels. Start with a dual boot system and see how you like it. You'll like a lot of things, but you may miss some of the stuff you can get for Windows or Mac.

That's my $.02

Archived