Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Vargas (1 yr/3.6 Mil)

MillerParkSouth
It might be smarter and easier to deal a bullpen arm or two than deal Vargas or Capuano.

I'd shop Shouse and Turnbow. Shouse is a sell high and Turnbow a sell low so the kind of balance each other. Shouse is replaceable by any of 3 guys, Capuano, Stetter or Choate. Turnbow doesn't really have a role. His 8th inning slot has been taken by Riske. The 7th inning is split between Mota and Torres. He can't pitch multiple innings. Vargas on the other hand can.

Turnbow doesn't have a role? Someone should tell Ned Yost and Doug Melvin this. They apparently plan on using him as their SU man this coming season.

Of course he still has a role, and his role is huge in this bullpen. It'd make no sense to give Derrick Turnbow away right now just to clear room. Turnbow's one of the guys who has the potential to be truly dominant in this pen.

CL-Gange

SU-Tunbow/Riske

7th-Turnbow/Riske

MR-Torres/Mota

I'm not sure why you think that Mota would be the 7th inning guy over Turnbow, but I can assure you he won't.

And as for Shouse, I'm not the biggest fan, and I think that Stetter has a much better future...and I'm worried that Yost is going to use Shouse vs Right Handers again next year, but I don't think you trade away your only proven loogy at this point.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"plain and simple, Bush has more value...he should net a pretty good prospect in return."

Exactly why your comment that "Capuano has the 5th spot locked down" is completely false. He has nothing locked down. Nobody has.

The fact that he has support from some regular posters on a fan board, doesn't give him any inside edge.

I would say that between the two statements, "Capuano has the 5th spot locked down", and "Turnbow doesn't have a role with this team", the latter is much further away from reality. Most expect Cappy will be the 5th starter, and Melvin's statements have backed that up, while I don't think anyone thinks Turnbow isn't at the very least our 7th inning man and likely our 8th inning man.

According to MLBTradeRumors, more than 1 team is interested in Jason Marquis, who is owed 16.25M over the next 2 years. If multiple teams are interested Marquis, I'd imagine there has to be some market for Vargas. Marquis is paid more than 2 times Vargas and has 1 more year on his contract. Marquis may be marginally better, but is it 12.65M over 2 years better?

"plain and simple, Bush has more value...he should net a pretty good prospect in return."

Exactly why your comment that "Capuano has the 5th spot locked down" is completely false. He has nothing locked down. Nobody has.

The fact that he has support from some regular posters on a fan board, doesn't give him any inside edge.

You could at least attempt to mask the thick sarcasm a bit better.

However, the reason that Capuano has the 5th spot, or at the very least the early inside track for the 5th spot is because he's got the confidence of Doug Melvin. How many times has Melvin made reference to what he expects out of Chris Capuano this year? how many times has he made reference to the fact that he thinks Chris Capuano can bounce back and be a very good starting pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers again?

I don't think it takes a lot of reading between the lines to come to the conclusion that they believe that Capuano is a far better pitcher than his 5-12, 5.10 ERA last year suggests and they want to give him a chance to prove that, if only to get his trade value back up to a reasonable level.

Archived