Brewer Fanatic

Interesting Fantasy Perspective on Cameron

jaybird2001wi

ESPN's Fantasy Baseball expert wrote a small blurb about the Brewers acquisition of Mike Cameron and how it could have a domino effect on all aspects of the team in the fantasy baseball world.

What is interesting is Ryan Braun may be less owned by fantasy baseball owners with his switch to left field because his offensive numbers would have been more valuable as a third baseman than a left fielder, where more power hitters are.

Braun's owners -- especially those in keeper leagues -- might not be thrilled when he's strictly an outfielder heading into 2009, but for now, enjoy the slight benefit Brewers pitchers will experience in ERA and WHIP.

What is more interesting is Cockcroft's sample-sized statistics of Cameron at Miller Park: "He's also a .343 hitter with four homers, 12 RBIs and a 1.158 OPS in 10 career games at Miller, so he's clearly comfortable hitting there."

But does anyone believe with the simple defensive shuffle that our pitching will have a better WHIP? In my mind, defense doesn't win games, it only costs games.

We will significantly lower our team ERA and WHIP with the move. Braun cost us in the order of 30 runs on the season the last year and Hall cost a couple. Cameron will save a few and Braun will cost a lot fewer in LF. The Brewers had a better pitching staff than the Cubs last year but a much worse ERA because of defensive issues, Cubs were one of the best defensive teams in the NL (fluke?) and the Brewers one of the worst.

I said it in the other thread about Cameron but assuming Hall is league average at 3B and Braun is only bad but not horrible in LF this move probably gave us 3 wins defensively on the season. Without even adding in Cameron's offense.

But does anyone believe with the simple defensive shuffle that our pitching will have a better WHIP?

Absolutely. Why else would you do it?

I think 40 runs is the most reasonable estimate of the defensive impact of the switches. Divide that by 162 games and you get about a quarter run per game...which should have a positive effect on individual pitchers' numbers. That difference comes from more batted balls turned into outs.

Listening to Cameron saying his power to RF and RC was squashed playing at PETCO, where the ball would die there so he needed to pull the ball to hit HR's. I am looking forward seeing early success from him hitting the ball out to RC which will create a whole approach from him other than what was necesary at PETCO.

In my mind, defense doesn't win games, it only costs games.
I'm not sure I understand that staement. I understand that fielders are supposed to make ordinary plays. However, what about the outstanding defensive plays in close games? How is that not the same as a clutch hit in a close game? Taking runs away from an opposing team is just as valuable as scoring runs in my mind.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Miller Park does not have a spacious OF so at least at home, I don't think Cameron makes a huge difference. He'll make some no doubt, but until we see Braun in LF we don't really know what the total impact will be.

As for 3B, again the impact will depend on which pitcher is on the mound. Sheets rarely gives up ground balls to third. In fact Braun made zero errors with Sheets pitching.

Also Hall has never been a full time third baseman. He's a natural shortstop. I don't expect him to be any better than average defensively there. That's an upgrade over Braun but maybe not as much as some expect.

Again though when comparing you have to take into consideration that a. Hall would have been a lot better in his second year in CF (based on his better second half performance) and b. Braun figured to improve some also.

They handed out awards for worst fielding statistically by infielders

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/discussion/the_2007_calphalon_awards_infielders/

Fielder came out as the 3rd worst defensive 1B in the NL. Weeks as the worst 2B. Braun as 3rd worst 3B but the worst if you take playtime into consideration. Hardy as the 2nd worst SS. The Brewers had a -52 from their infield which is 5 losses or so compared to an average fielding IF. I am so glad Braun moved to the OF.

I'm not surprised at these results at all. I've never really liked Hardy or Weeks or Fielder. I think Hardy only looks good because he is surrounded by ineptitude. Weeks looks to be imporving, but evidently doesn't get to as many balls as he used to.

At 3B I think Hall will actually be just slightly above average, just slightly mind you. The reason? He's always had a gun, and I believe he'll stop a more than usual number of infield hits.

The Sheets stat is fascinating, thanks for the info.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"In fact Braun made zero errors with Sheets pitching."

They only played in 14 games together.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

there was a great article posted on this site in one thread that also had it at a 30-40 run difference in bettering our defense. That amounted to a +.25 ERA (or should I say -.25) from our staff. Throw in pitchers being more comfortable pitching to contact instead of going for the K and it's really going to make a huge difference (especially from Cappy, I think).

plus that also doesn't factor range, and Cameron and Hall at their positions are an improvement over last year.

It actually does factor in range too. I think Kendall as the C might be a marginal improvement over Estrada as well. It will not surprise me if the team ends up being top 5 in RA/G this season. We had the 3rdd bestFIP in the NL last year and I think the overall pitching is a little better this year than last.

Archived