Brewer Fanatic

Excel Spreadsheet

TerraceReserved

I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I'd recommend trying the 'Help' feature within Excel. Otherwise, as long as you know the number of things you're averaging, type the following (without the quotation marks):

"=(SUM(A1:Ax))/x" (where A is the letter-name for the column you're summing, and x is the number of things averaged; I'm assuming that the first item will be in the first row of the column....if not, I trust you can adjust on your own.)

The reason that I suggest you try 'Help,' is because I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Excel has a calculation for averages.

I'll explain this like you've never used a spreadsheet program:

1. Each number to be averaged gets it's own cell. Write all your numbers down in one column or one row.

2. In a blank cell, type, "=average(

3. With your mouse, click on the first cell you want to average and while holding down the mouse button, move down to the last cell. Release the button and the cells should be selected and filled into your equation (like A1:A10).

4. Hit enter and excel will add the ")" to the end of your equation and average the selected cells.

• 7 months later...
I have a class that we have to do some projects in Excel. We have to create a table to show the volume of a cylinder. To accompany this, we need to draw a shape of a cylinder, and I believe display generic dimensions for the diameter and height. Does anyone have any good tips on how to do this? Drawing a cylinder is easy enough, but adding dimensions is where I get lost. I have Excel 2007.

Thanks anyway, but that part I got. The part that I was getting hung up on was adding dimensions to the drawing. I got it done using a round about way. I was just just wondering if there was something to click on to display dimensions like a proper blueprint. I think you can use other programs that are better for drawings and import them. I don't think Excel is really strong in making drawings. Things look good on your worksheet, but print different. It's done now, and I don't feel like dwelling on something I probably will never do again.

Archived