Brewer Fanatic

CHC signs Jon Lieber (1yr/$3.5mil + $4mil in Incentives)

JohnBriggs12

I would definitely be fine with seeing Lieber in the opening series against the Cubs (especially if Piniella substitutes him for someone like Hill). Something tells me that Braun, Hart, Weeks, et al. don't have to worry too much about facing a 38 year old with declining RH splits coming off a ruptured tendon in his foot.

The rumor on the Roberts deal iirc was that the Cubs backed away when the O's asked for Pie. I wonder how much has or hasn't changed with the O's asking price, since the Cubs probably won't part with Pie.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He apparently is going to start, Rosenthal posted this according to the cubs forum...

"The signing of Lieber could signal a trade of right-hander Jason Marquis or the return of righty Ryan Dempster to the bullpen. Lieber will be in the Cubs' rotation, sources say; otherwise, he would have signed with another club."

this sounds very much like the Cubs will send dempster back to the closer role. it all makes sense. i would think the Cubs' young set up guy marmol (sp?) probably has more trade value than dempster. and howry can be the 8th inning man.

Archived